Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry World

jayinatlanta
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 64GB
My Carrier: At&T

Re: Silverlight Support

The Playbook browser is marketed as one of the best -- if not THE best -- browsers for viewing any website one could see on a desktop.

Since the best browsers from Google, Mozilla, Opera, and Microsoft all enable Silverlight support, I expect it on the Playbook. As noted several times in this thread, a significant number of RIA/websites now use Silverlight for some pretty nice content. Silverlight is integral in Windows 8 applications, it's been brought to Android, Silverlight 5 was just released, and Microsoft is very committed to this technology for desktop AND mobile.

Given Adobe's attiude about Flash on mobile devices, it would be good to embrace a plug-in from a company that DOES care about mobile. There are rumors about a Barnes & Noble 7" tablet running Windows 8 RT, and dozens of Win 8 tablets are about to drop in October and November. I really do like my Playbook, but it will be obsolete if it can't keep up with the increasing number of Internet apps that run Silverlight.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

Re: Silverlight Support

I see less and less attraction towards Silverlight in 2012... in favour of HTML5. For which the PlayBook browser is currently one of the very best.

That being said, Silverlight today requires a Windows or MacOS, you can see by yourself in the requirements tab on this page:
http://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight/Get-Started/Install/Default.aspx

And I will end by saying that Silverlight is not available on Windows Phone, and that I have read nowhere that Microsoft is working on that either.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.