Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry World

Contributor
Dayvidpriddy
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 8900

This is very disappointing!

I can't believe that this software does not work if you don't have a data plan!  Let me rephrase this, does that mean you have to have both email & internet data plan or can you just have an email plan?  I only have a bb email plan as I don't see the need to spend an extra 15 bucks a month for internet access on my phone when I'm connected via Wi-Fi 99 percent of the time.  Anyways I installed it on my phone via my computer (because I couldn't get it to download via my phone) and it won't work!  I get the following error message "failed to transmit".

Also as others have complained about being forced to have a data plan to use this, and that it should work with their Wi-Fi connection...let me add some info to that statement.  I've found that since I dropped my data plan (the internet part of it) that I'm unable to visit any websites on my bb period when connected via Wi-Fi...I constantly get error messages.  I have switched my browsing settings from "internet" to "hotspot" and either the setting won't stay (it switches back to "internet" or if it stays it still won't work.

T-Mobile has called RIM on this and according to RIM they say this is the way the phones were designed to work.  OK so wait, if they designed the phones to work with a complete data plan ONLY to get internet access, why have Wi-Fi then?  That is pointless!  In my opinion, RIM is blocking internet access to phones that are only connected to the net via Wi-Fi, because they want the cash from the complete data plans.  I think this kind of practice is really sketchy  and I have one thing to say to you RIM...you ain't getting it from me!  I have Wi-Fi on my phone, when I'm connected to the internet via Wi-Fi, I should be able to access the internet, not getting error messages where nothing works unless I revert back to a "internet data plan."  This is for the birds!

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,842
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: This is very disappointing!

It appears that you knew up front that without a BB Data Plan, your device would not have full functionality, and there are users who udnerstand that and desire that. AppWorld is one of those functions that require a BB Data Plan, much like additional apps Facebook, Google apps, BBMaps, etc.

So I am understanding of people who don't desire to spend the extra money on a BlackBerry Data Plan. I am not understanding of the rants of those who know that up front as you do, and still desire the same functions that I get with my BlackBerry Data Plan.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Dayvidpriddy

It appears nothing!  My phone has Wi-Fi, I figured I could access the internet with a Wi-Fi connection (what other reason is there to have Wi-Fi on a mobile phone except for UMA calling which doesn't work half the time either?)  When I had an iPhone I could access the internet via Wi-Fi.  Again, what is Wi-Fi doing on BlackBerry's if  you can't use it to connect to the internet???  I'm dying to  know this...

Also, I use BBMaps all the time and I'm only subscribed to BB E-Mail, I assumed it worked via the cell towers?  It works on my phone that's all I gotta say.

So yeah you should be understanding to people who buy phones that have Wi-Fi on them but then are not able to connect to the internet unless they add the internet part of the data plan to their phone...makes no sense!

Again, why is there Wi-Fi on my phone if I can't use it to browse the net?  That defeats the puprose of having Wi-Fi.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

Dayvidpriddy wrote:

It appears nothing!  My phone has Wi-Fi, I figured I could access the internet with a Wi-Fi connection (what other reason is there to have Wi-Fi on a mobile phone except for UMA calling which doesn't work half the time either?)  When I had an iPhone I could access the internet via Wi-Fi.  Again, what is Wi-Fi doing on BlackBerry's if  you can't use it to connect to the internet???  I'm dying to  know this...

Also, I use BBMaps all the time and I'm only subscribed to BB E-Mail, I assumed it worked via the cell towers?  It works on my phone that's all I gotta say.

So yeah you should be understanding to people who buy phones that have Wi-Fi on them but then are not able to connect to the internet unless they add the internet part of the data plan to their phone...makes no sense!

Again, why is there Wi-Fi on my phone if I can't use it to browse the net?  That defeats the puprose of having Wi-Fi.

You can browse the net on WiFi without any data plan, heck--even without a voice plan or SIM in the devcie.

Set the browser to HotSpot and you will be fine. If it won't 'stick' that is another issue, in which reloading or upgrading the OS migth rectify. If you need assistance with that please state so, please be courteous and without berating someone here to assist you. 

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Dayvidpriddy

Then why does my phone not browse if I don't have a data plan for internet when I'm connected to Wi-Fi then?  I know all about the settings, the problem is it doesn't 'stick', it reverts back to the "internet setting."  As stated earlier, T-Mobile has called RIM about the problem and RIM states this is how the phone is suppose to work...if you don't have a internet data plan, then Wi-Fi will not work (I'm just telling you what they told T-Mobile.)

I'm running the latest OS for the phone, everything else works fine except for the internet.  I'm not going to wipe my phone and go through all of that for that, which will probably not fix the problem.  This is a blackberry issue, not a phone related issue.  I've had other phones that have done that same exact thing, it wasn't until readding the internet data portion back to my phone where my phone finally was able to browse the net.

As far as "berating" someone goes, well you kinda did that to me in your first response.  I just kindly returned the favor, I don't like being spoken to as if I don't know what I'm talking about.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

[ Edited ]

Dayvidpriddy wrote:

Then why does my phone not browse if I don't have a data plan for internet when I'm connected to Wi-Fi then?  I know all about the settings, the problem is it doesn't 'stick', it reverts back to the "internet setting."  As stated earlier, T-Mobile has called RIM about the problem and RIM states this is how the phone is suppose to work...if you don't have a internet data plan, then Wi-Fi will not work (I'm just telling you what they told T-Mobile.)

I'm running the latest OS for the phone, everything else works fine except for the internet.  I'm not going to wipe my phone and go through all of that for that, which will probably not fix the problem.  This is a blackberry issue, not a phone related issue.  I've had other phones that have done that same exact thing, it wasn't until readding the internet data portion back to my phone where my phone finally was able to browse the net.

As far as "berating" someone goes, well you kinda did that to me in your first response.  I just kindly returned the favor, I don't like being spoken to as if I don't know what I'm talking about.

Your Tmobile Rep had no idea what they are talking about or asked the wrong question. It is well documented that when the HotSpot browser is enabled , WiFi will browse the net quite well. I have a 9000 Bold here even with no SIM card in it, and it works perfect on WiFi using the hotspot browser.

You can call Tmoble yourself, ask for transfer to RIM tech support yourself and get that answer, without the the Tmo translation in the middle.

My first response to you was intended to remind you that knowing one needs the BlackBerry Data Plan for many functions of the BlackBerry , there shouldn't be a great deal of surprise (or frustration) when those functions don't work, like the AppWorld.

Good luck on your WiFi. If you suspect it is the BlackBerry device itself, that leaves two options (since as you mentioned you know all the setings yourself): the OS, which you've stated you're not willing to reload or upgrade (what OS version is it anyway?), or the hardware. If you've narrowed it down to the hardware, then return the device to Tmobile for a warranty replacement and get one that works.

Message Edited by JSanders on 04-22-2009 03:06 PM

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
OzBBerry42
My Device: 8300

Hello,

We have some apps in Australia that have the APN hard coded into the program.

This was confirmed by the Writers of the program (or their reps anyway)

So the only way they will work is via  the Data plan (in this case WAP).

So I believe that you are complaining about the writers of the (third party) software (from the App store), not about the actual BB...

Checked out my Blackberry FAQ's and Links to Needed Articles here
http://darkeen.homelinux.com/index.php/Blackberryfaq
Please use plain text.