Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry World

Contributor
bblacksheep
My Device: Z10, PB WiFi, Bold 9900
My Carrier: A1

Upgrade Appword to 4.0.0.55 -> "Uncaught exception: no application instance" / AppWorld-icon gone

Hi,

A few days ago I got a notification that an upgrade to Appworld (4.0.0.55) was available. The upgrade itself went OK so far, but after a reboot I got a popup saying

"Uncaught exception; no application instance"

After clicking "OK" the message disappeared but alas - the Appworld icon was gone - and remained gone. Even rebooting and/or battery pull didn't bring the AppWorld icon back nor did the above error message disappear. :smileysad:

Re-installing (i.e. OTA-download) didn't cure the problem either; neither did manually deleting appworld and re-installing OTA.

(BTW, the error message appears whenever I turn on my phone and/or reboot.)

To cross-check I tried with another BB running a different OS-version -> same "result": "uncaught exception; no application instance" and no AppWorld icon.

For your reference I tried this on

• Bold 9900 running 7.1.0.714
  • Bold 9700 running 6.0.0.668

Both devices run connected to a BES that has Appworld enabled.

As a last resort I tried fiddling with the policy setting on the BES (I'm also the BES-admin): as soon as I assign the "default" policy I can install AppWorld, there's no error message and the AppWorld-icon is back again. When reverting backto our standard policy setting the error is back and the AppWorld-icon is gone again.

Please note that our policy-settings including those for Appworld have been in place for years without any problem whatsoever wrt AppWorld. To me it looks that with the 4.0.0.55-upgrade something changed in that it causes an interference between policy-settings on the BES and the Appworld-App.

So here are my questions:

• Has anybody else out there seen the error "Uncaught exception; no application instance" and lost the AppWorld-icon after upgrading Appworld to 4.0.0.55?
  • Anything that can be done to get Appworld 4.0.0.55 working on a BES-linked BB?
  • Which policy-setting(s) interferes with AppWorld 4.0.0.55 (that didn't interfere with AppWorld < 4.0.0.55)

Thanks much in advance for your help!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
bavlad
My Device: Curve 9320
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: Upgrade Appword to 4.0.0.55 -> "Uncaught exception: no application instance" / AppWorld-icon gone

Hi bblacksheep,

Just to confirm that after reading your post above that I've exactly the same problem as you. I've also tried to re-load, reboot my BB many times but have also been un-successful like you.

I'm sure that we'd appreciate if someone does resolve this problem to post it here.

Many thanks in advance too!!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
schwarzbeere
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Re: Upgrade Appword to 4.0.0.55 -> "Uncaught exception: no application instance" / AppWorld-icon gone

Hi,

I had the same issue.

After disabling the Blackberry Balance feature in the IT-policy, the "Uncaught exception: no application instance" error disappeared an the AppWorld icon is visable.

Cause disabling this feature is not an option for us, we have to wait for an AppWord update.

Carsten

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
kris2
My Device: Bberry bold 9870

Hi!

Sorry for my English and for the fact that I am not very skilled with these topics, but I would like to share my experience. 

I had the same problems you are writing about.

I wanted to update my App World, but I did not manage to, and the old version disappeared from the phone, too.

I tried also tu download the version 4.0.0.55 from the link available on the Black Berry website, but it did not work .

During the download it also interrupted my BIS, so that I could not even browse the internet anymore.

I cancelled App World from the list of the programs of the device in the telephone.

Then, i connected to internet exclusively through WIFI and downloaded the App World version from the link on the site.

Everything seems to work now.

I don't know how and why, but it works.

Let me know if this suggestion has been of some help.

Ciao, 

Cristina

Please use plain text.
Contributor
bblacksheep
My Device: Z10, PB WiFi, Bold 9900
My Carrier: A1

Hi Christina,
Thanks for sharing your ideas, but I think your setup is a little different than mine:

You're connected to BIS whereas my BB is linked to a BES.

To my current understanding I seem to be running into a problem between the new AppWorld and certain policy-settings on the BES. The posting from "schwarzbeere" above also points into this direction....

Maybe somebody @ RIM can comment on this issue...

in my case the problem is related to an interference between the new appworld and BES-policy-settings.
Please use plain text.
griftm
My Carrier: Bell

[ Edited ]

We had the same problem at my company. I found that we were able to follow a link to open app world (so, I specifically had a friend update thier bbm status with a facebook update, then clicked on that facebook link on my bbm, and it took me to app world to install the facebook app - took two or three times clicking the link to get appworld to open).

Once appworld opened, it indicated that the blackberry id application was not up to date, and asked to update it.

Once Blackberry id application was updated, the uncaught exceptions dissappeared, and appworld works normally again.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
schwarzbeere
My Carrier: T-Mobile

If I remove these rules in the IT-policy, the error message disappears and AppWorld icon ist visable:

Personal Devices:

Disable Forwarding of Work Content Using Personal Channels: Yes

Require Work Resources For Conducting Work Activities: Yes

Work Domains:  xxx.com

Enable Separation of Work Content: Yes  
(We use BES 5.0.4 Express. Don´t know if the rules are the same on an "real" BES)

The Blackberry ID was updated after AppWorld start, but after I reenabled the rules above the error appeared again and the AppWord icon is missing.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
BigCityBesGuy
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: Telus

Same symptoms on BES 5.03 MR8.

Changing "Require Work Resources For Conducting Work Activities" IT Policy rule to NO will bring back the AppWorld icon but of course this is not a solution as it disables Balance. We've opened a ticket with RIM and they are working on it.

Please use plain text.
Visitor
leejayh
My Device: 9810
My Carrier: AT7T

Folks - have the same issue.  I went so far as to completely re-load my BB from scratch and load the App world 4 before adding my BES account.  All went well until I added my BES account from my workplace.  Upon activating the account - this error pops up, and the App World icon will not appear. 

BB9810

ATT official v7.1.0.694

Not sure about the BES version  - but it comes from our hosted MS Outlook from MSFT.

This is a serious problem.  I hope that the BB folks fix it quickly.

Please use plain text.
ajitoo
My Device: curve 9380
My Carrier: xxxxx

I have same problem... But my app world was still can be accessed but, I can't access general option...

It was after I update my bbm, app world and blackberry ID
Please use plain text.