Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry World

Contributor
dancadman
My Device: Torch - 9850 & 32GB Playbook

VCMS App for PlayBook - No Install Icon

I'm having a really strange problem with one app that I bought several months ago.  VCMS is installed and working on my 9850 phone.  At one time it was also installed and working on my PlayBook.  However, I wiped the PlayBook to start fresh after some other problems started arising, and now I can't reinstall it anymore.  The strange thing about it, is that it shows up in App World on the PlayBook, but there are no buttons for install/purchase/uninstall.  I have emailed i-Mentalist support and they tell me that it is not a problem with the app itself, but a problem with App World.  As of the latest OS update pushed out today, it still has not corrected the problem.

Before I installed the latest OS update, I have wiped the PB twice with no luck.  The PB has been rebooted several times.  I'm puzzled and quite annoyed.

Anyone have any ideas?  

VCMS - No Install Icon

JSanders
Solutions: 5,993
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: VCMS App for PlayBook - No Install Icon

Perform a cache reset in AppWorld.

Article ID: KB24714 How to clear the BlackBerry App World cache

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
dancadman

Thank you for the suggestion. That did not work either.
JSanders

"did not work" doesn't help me help you.

You couldn't figure out how to do the reset?

You could and it exploded?

What happened?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor
dancadman

I'm not exactly sure if it reset anything or not. It even says under the directions for the PlayBook that you will not get a notification. I did follow the instructions, in fact I tried it several times. After each try, I refreshed the list. I should have mentioned also, that VCMS doesn't show up in my installed or uninstalled lists in App World on the PB. I did notice that on my 9850 (which it was already installed on) VCMS was listed as uninstalled. I went ahead and installed it, just to try it, and installed on the 9850 fine. I went back to PB, refreshed the list again, and it still doesn't show up. VCMS comes up when I do a search, but when I click on it, I get the result of the picture I posted in my original post.

I do appreciate your help very much.
JSanders

Hmmm... you bought it for the Playbook, but now have it installed on the 9850, right?

I have a feeling, you may need to uninstall from the 9850 so that your paid license is available for the Playbook. Does that make sense? Otherwise, you would need to purchase it twice to have it loaded on both.

VCMS is a nice app, I like it too.

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor
dancadman

Wow.  This gets more interesting everytime I mess with it.

I deleted it from the 9850 instead of uninstalling, using app App World.  Rebooted the phone, refreshed the apps list.  Interesting thing I noticed, is that it isn't listed in uninstalled items list on the phone now, but if I do a search for the app, it says that it is uninstalled.

I opened App World on the PB, did the cache reset, refreshed the apps list and VCMS still wasn't listed in my unistalled PB apps.  So, I did a search for it, and it showed that I hadn't purchased it.  I closed App World, relaunched it, and now it looks like it did before.  No button under the icon.

When I first purchased the app, I bought it on the PB.  I had installed it and used it wothout any problems.  I noticed it was available for the handset too, and in App World on the handset, showed it was uninstalled and I went ahead and installed it.  At that point in time, it was working on both devices.  Now, I have updated the OS's on both devices multiple times since then, and since I wiped the PB a month or two ago, I haven't been able to get VCMS to install again.

I could wipe it again, but I really don't want to do that.  At this point though, I'm not sure what else I can try.  It would be interesting to know if anyone else has installed it on both devices without any troubles.

JSanders

I think you'll find that's the source of the issue.

There are limitations to the number of PIN changes for applications. You might have hit the ceiling.

Go back to i-mentalist and ask them to make sure the license for your copy is for your PlayBook PIN.

I know the guys there, they will do the right thing for you if it is indeed something they can control from their end.

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor
dancadman

Ok, thanks.  I'll send them an email and post back when I hear something.