Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry World

New Contributor
McGrats
My Device: Not Specified

Vendor Restrictions In App World

Considering all the havoc caused by Iambics malware (Agendus For BB), will BB consider a vendor's performance before allowing them to peddle their wares in App World? It seems to me that all vendors should be ranked by users in order to prevent others from the same misfortunes.

Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

Re: Vendor Restrictions In App World

are you saying you have had a bad experience with the "Agendus for BlackBerry" application ?
it has been reviews by many specialized websites including Pinstack and Crackberry, and they all praised the application.
http://www.iambic.com/agendus/blackberry/reviews.asp

can you share your experience?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor
McGrats

[ Edited ]

To say I had problems is the understatement of the year. Before I begin, I own Jack Koenig & Associates, a network consulting firm that has been serving business and industry since 1976. We have clients from coast to coast and are well known for solving some of the worse Windows computer network problems centering on NT and SBS. So I'm no novice when it comes to software or hardware.

I downloaded a trial version of Agendus for BB and installed it PRECISELY as directed (I read every last detail of istructions before I ever proceed with installing any new software or hardware). During the install, the traditional hour glass appeared and I patiently waited. In fact, I waited several hours. I then tried to abort without success. I tried to shut off my BB without success. I pulled the battery and after re-installing same I was back to the hour glass.

I filled out a report on the Iambic website, received the auto reply, and waited. In fact I waited several days for their first limp wristed reply. In the meantime I posted the problem on this board and received a reply from a person whom I believe was with CrackBerry. Although he was VERY helpful in the sense he was very knowledgeable, the conclusion from him and others was that I had to "bite the bullet" and re-install the operating system. We all know what that does... good bye data! Unfortunately, my backup data was corrupted and all was lost. 

Since I still hadn't received a reply from Iambic, and since clients could not reach me on the BB, I did indeed "bite the bullet" and re-install the operating system. It was a day after that that I received the first response from Iambic's "tech support."

My point is simply this: our phones are precious commodities and we can't operate without them. When a software house puts out a buggy product and doesn't have the courtesy of a prompt reply to a trouble ticket, they shouldn't be allowed to tarnish the image of a great company like RIM. 

Message Edited by McGrats on 04-04-2009 06:51 PM
Guru I
Xandrex

so if I sum up your experience :

you did a backup of the content of your device
you installed an application, and during the installation, you stopped everything
the stopping corrupted your device.
your searched for inforamtion, and didn't find much.
there was a problem during your restore for some reason.
you had to install a fresh OS

well, you have had many troubles at the same time... you can't expect RIM to test all applications several times,where many other users never had a glitch with the application. Of course it's possible, but then there will be 20 applications available and not hundreds.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor
McGrats

Well not exactly. I think you're taking liberty with my trying to exit the install. It was painfully obvious the install had crashed the BB and to wait any longer than the two hours would be moronic. I didn't stop any application, the install stopped itself by crashing the BB. I attempted to recoup from a failed install.The stopping did NOT corrupt the device, the Iambic install corrupted the device.

As far as expecting RIM to test every application, I didn't even come close to saying or inferring that. What I am saying is that Iambic's "tech support" is extreemly negligent in not providing timely responses for CRITICAL problems. There is no way any consulting organization can continue without effective communications. And since we have several thousand clients across the country, it's highly impractical to even think we can contact them all with a temporary phone number.

Developer
br14

If you have problems in future, and are technically capable you may want to try using the BB simulators before installing apps (or if you have problems). They're available from the developer site. Especially if you're thinking of using the app for a client.

As for vendor testing. I'd be surprised if many of the vendors selling software for $2.99 etc are likely to have the same level of support as RIM or similar larger corporations.

Caveat Emptor I'm afraid. There are now so many BB configurations it's very difficult to cover all the bases except using the simulators, and good though they are they don't come close to live testing on a specific device. For example, the Bloomberg app doesn't work correctly on my Storm (or rather, doesn't comply with Storm UI standards).

All the same, RIM should maybe introduce some kind of support/service level indicator so buyers are aware that they're likely to have to wait when buying from smaller vendors.

New Contributor
McGrats

I wasn't aware of the prices for the BB vendor software, but Iambic's "Agendus for BB" wasn't exactly $2.99. Regardless, thanks for the tips, I'll keep them in mind should there ever be a next time.
Guru I
Xandrex

McGrats wrote:

As far as expecting RIM to test every application, I didn't even come close to saying or inferring that. What I am saying is that Iambic's "tech support" is extreemly negligent in not providing timely responses for CRITICAL problems. There is no way any consulting organization can continue without effective communications. And since we have several thousand clients across the country, it's highly impractical to even think we can contact them all with a temporary phone number.

Okay, I understand now that when you say Iambic, it's not an insult towards RIM, it's simply the name of the editor of the application "Agendus". sorry, my bad. I agree with you, but I guess that doesn't make your situation better :smileywink: