Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry World

New Contributor
tuk2amy
My Device: torch 9800
My Carrier: Vodafone Ireland
Accepted Solution

Word Mole deleted! How to get it back?

Hiya Guys,
I really hope someone will be able to help me. I could never get through one level of wordmole without it crashing on me, even after I had restarted my phone and removed the batteries a few times to allow the phone fix itself.
I decided to delete the game, thinking that I'd be able to easily re-install it. I was unable to do so, and I have trawled the internet looking for solutions, but I haven't found any yet. If anyone knows how I can get the wordmole game back on my phone with step-by-step instructions, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Word Mole deleted! How to get it back?

Hi and Welcome to the Community!,

The simplest way is to, on a PC (you cannot do this on MAC):

1) Uninstall, from your PC, any BB OS packages

2) Make sure you have the BB Desktop Software already installed

3) Download and install, to your PC, the BB OS package you desire:

4) If that OS package is from a carrier other than the carrier for which your BB was originally manufactured, then delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML...there will be at least one, and perhaps 2, and they will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
  • C:\Users\(your Windows UserName)\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML

5) Now you are ready to re-install your missing app:

• KB14473 How to install an application on a BlackBerry smartphone using the BlackBerry Desktop Software

If you are on MAC, you can only do steps 2 and 5

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tuk2amy

Hey sdgardne!

First, thanks for your quick and very clear response, sincerely appreciate it.

Now, I'm good till I reach step 5. When I load the desktop software, Word Mole is not listed as an available application for me to install. Where do I go from there?

Also, I came across this website: Wordmole OTA Installer which allows you to download the game directly to your mobile if you visit the link provided on your mobile phone.

I have tried downloading it to my phone using this method. It does install, but I cannot find its location on my phone, even though it shows up on the blackberry desktop software when I connect the phone to the computer.

I have since deleted the app since I was unable to find the link to play the game in my applications/games folder. 

Any further advice?

If my explanation is unclear, please let me know what needs to be clarified.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

[ Edited ]

tuk2amy wrote:

Now, I'm good till I reach step 5. When I load the desktop software, Word Mole is not listed as an available application for me to install. Where do I go from there? 

That is interesting...what is the first line of what apps show up when you go into AppLoader? If the first (and second, often) is NOT your Core BB OS, then the OS Package you installed to your PC is not being used...most often due to it not matching the VendorID of your BB and the VENDOR.XML file(s) not being properly deleted after installing the BB OS package to the PC (alternatively, if the BB OS package is for a different model, it'll be ignored by AppLoader).

Also, the included games and such often change among the BB OS levels...but, my recollection is that Word Mole is always available (though, honestly, I don't even install it to mine anymore).

tuk2amy wrote:

Also, I came across this website: Wordmole OTA Installer which allows you to download the game directly to your mobile if you visit the link provided on your mobile phone.

I have tried downloading it to my phone using this method. It does install, but I cannot find its location on my phone, even though it shows up on the blackberry desktop software when I connect the phone to the computer.

I have since deleted the app since I was unable to find the link to play the game in my applications/games folder. 

Any further advice? 

Oh! I never knew about that OTA installer...good find! But, after you run it, make 100% certain the app is installed:

• KB10040 How to view or remove installed applications on a BlackBerry smartphone

If it is, then you're just not finding the icon. The icon might be in a different folder, or it might be hidden, or a combination of the two...you need to dig into ALL folders, and have Show All Icons active as you dig into each folder...if the app is installed, the icon quite simply must be there.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tuk2amy

[ Edited ]

That is interesting...what is the first line of what apps show up when you go into AppLoader? If the first (and second, often) is NOT your Core BB OS, then the OS Package you installed to your PC is not being used...most often due to it not matching the VendorID of your BB and the VENDOR.XML file(s) not being properly deleted after installing the BB OS package to the PC (alternatively, if the BB OS package is for a different model, it'll be ignored by AppLoader).

Okay, when I check applications on my phone via 'Options>Device>App. Management' the First line in Blackberry 6..0.0 System Software. Next is BB Appworld, etc. This would indicate that the OS is being used then?

If it is, then you're just not finding the icon. The icon might be in a different folder, or it might be hidden, or a combination of the two...you need to dig into ALL folders, and have Show All Icons active as you dig into each folder...if the app is installed, the icon quite simply must be there.

That would make sense wouldn't it? Except I have combed through my entire directory. All files and folders, manually, and I just got the phone, so there aren't that many, still no joy. I have also done a general search on all files, and checked every single other folder regardles of how unlikely it may be.

I also specified a download folder (games), deleted, reinstalled. No joy.

On the same website, I noticed that there are different versions for different OS's. I tried installing the OS6 version as that is what I have, but when I tried to run it, I got this error:

Uncaught exception: java.lang.runtime Exception. Failed to initialise game resources. Missing graphics module: net_rim_device_apps_games_wordmole_graphics_480x360_t

Incidentally, for this version(OS6), I can actually see the icon in the games folder....Any ideas?

In the meantime, I will try and install the OS7 version and see if that works.

Cheers

EDIT:

Tried installing OS7 version. again, it installed successfully and the icon was visible in the games folder. When I clicked in the icon, I got the following message: 

Error starting net_rim_device_apps_games_wordmole: Symbol 'DrawTextHelper.getTextHeight' not found.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ravemot1
My Device: 8520 curve
My Carrier: vodacom

Can't you just download wordmole from your App World? :-/

If all else fails, back up your stuff and "restore factory settings" :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

tuk2amy wrote:

Okay, when I check applications on my phone via 'Options>Device>App. Management' the First line in Blackberry 6..0.0 System Software. Next is BB Appworld, etc. This would indicate that the OS is being used then? 

You checked this on your BB interface. I wanted you to check on your Desktop Software AppLoader interface. I am concerned that the Desktop Software is not using your installed (to your PC) BB OS package...and what the Desktop Software says is what will help us understand.

tuk2amy wrote:

On the same website, I noticed that there are different versions for different OS's. I tried installing the OS6 version as that is what I have, but when I tried to run it, I got this error:

Uncaught exception: java.lang.runtime Exception. Failed to initialise game resources. Missing graphics module: net_rim_device_apps_games_wordmole_graphics_480x360_t

What? Now you've moved well past what I've been trying to guide you through. I can no longer tell the state of your Desktop Software installation, for I cannot tell, from what you wrote here, what exactly you have done...there are many methods to install a different OS version, but I've no idea what you have now done. I fear that, in trying all of these different things, you are compounding your problems rather than solving any of them. Further, there are many levels of OS6...each with different things than the others, but I still cannot tell, from what you've written, exactly what you have done.

The Uncaught Exception is quite fatal, and the recommendation would be to perform a specific WIPE of your device (using the BBSAK 3rd party tool) and clean reload of your OS. But, again, I've no idea what you've now done, so I've no idea what to tell you to do next...I am completely lost as to your status.

tuk2amy wrote:
Incidentally, for this version(OS6), I can actually see the icon in the games folder....Any ideas?  

Yes...if the icon is there, then the app is installed (unless that specific OS package included a "teaser icon" for the app. What happens when you select the icon? You've not said...

tuk2amy wrote:
In the meantime, I will try and install the OS7 version and see if that works. 

Well, good luck with that...you've totally lost me now, so I've no idea what to advise you on anymore.

tuk2amy wrote:

EDIT:

Tried installing OS7 version. again, it installed successfully and the icon was visible in the games folder. When I clicked in the icon, I got the following message: 

Error starting net_rim_device_apps_games_wordmole: Symbol 'DrawTextHelper.getTextHeight' not found.

Oh...ok...so that's what happens when you click the icon. Very strange. Something is not going right with your OS loading processes...but I've no idea how to guide you anymore since, from your posts, I can't tell exactly what you have done. The only thing I can think of now is for you to use BBSAK to do a full WIPE and reload of some OS package, but load it very clean -- nothing optional, no add-ons, as "bare bones" as possible. See then if your BB otherwise operates normally...and run for perhaps a week like that. Then, add just one thing, and see again for a week how things go. Repeat that process until either all your things are added or the behaviour happens...if the behaviour happens, then you know the culprit.

Good luck.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tuk2amy

Thanks for your suggestion. If I could just install it from App world, I would have done so, it was the first thing I tried.

Restoring factory settings did not restore word mole.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tuk2amy

I apologise, I mean't the developer had created different versions of word mole for different BB OS versions. I tried installing all the different versions of word mole. It was when I clicked on the icon to run the game,  that I got the errors I listed.

After more trawling, I decided to do a clean install with a new OS so I followed instructions on this website:

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-302-complete-wipe-and-install-your-blackberry-os

and I was able to successfully wipe and reinstall a new OS to my blackberry, including the word mole game. Now, the apploader actually shows the BB OS Package. Yay!!

All is well now.

Sincere thanks for all your help sdgardne!!!

Anyone else having this issue, just wipe your BB, and reinstall an OS. it'll run smoother, and the instructions in the link are very easy to follow!

*dances away*

:Clap:

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

[ Edited ]

Excellent. You are most welcome...enjoy!

PS -- we actually would have gotten there, but I got so lost in the fragments of information you were providing that I could not tell what your status was, and hence could not offer anything useful to you.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.