Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World

Contributor
jtonmybb
My Device: z10

apps

HI community

i was wondering as i have looked every where and can't find any i am talking about good apps for the z10 like the gaming apps what is going on here my old 9320 had everything on it apps for banking my z10 doesnt have any of the three banks im with none of the games i play. i mean whats going on flagship phone and nothing seems to be converted to the z10 i'm not complaining honest before some of the bb fanboys give me a beating i just find it strange why a brand new flagship phone doesn't have in my opinion its important to add in my opinion any good apps

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: apps

Hello,

I think I understand your post...only one punctuation mark within the entire thing makes it little hard, but I think I understand it.

When the Z10 launched, there were over 70,000 apps...more than at the launch of any prior mobile device, from any maker, ever. Now, I read they are over 100,000, and growing every day.

But...what are "good" apps for you versus for me will likely be a vastly different set of items. Get 10 people together and ask them what their 10 most important apps are and I bet you get 10 different lists. That's just the way of human nature...there is tremendous variety in what any individual thinks of as critical and important.

Further, it is a very big challenge for developers to migrate to BB10. Prior to BB10, all apps had to be ported to every model number and major OS level combination -- that was a lot of porting, and most developers chose to not try and support every combination.

For BB10, it's not (as I understand it) a matter of porting...but re-writing the app completely from scratch. While I understand that app development is actually easier for BB10, the fact still remains that the developers can't simply port their old BB apps to it...they must re-write from scratch. And many perhaps choose not to.

All in all, it's up to the developers to choose to invest in migrating their apps up to BB10. Some have already done so, some are in process, and some may just say no. But, if there are specific apps you desire, then you should reach out to the developer of those apps and pressure them to invest in migrating their app up to BB10.

And, of course, never forget the power of side-loading...I've found some of my most favorite Android apps as available for side-loading to my Z10, and I'm very happy about that indeed!

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
jtonmybb

HI Sdgardne

I thank you for the reply and yous my punctuation is abysmal my excuse is i am disabled and cant be bothered with it (sorry )  i'll try harder its not easy with one arm lieing in pieces at kandhar and one arm attatched to my right side but thanks any way i'll make an effort:Offtopic:

now you post is right there are a few apps for th z10 but i have to say basic banking apps from british banks when the z10 is a business phone come on thats poor. Also sky tv with sky  atlantic sponcered by blackberry z10 but the skygo and sky record apps don't work thats what i mean don't you see how thats just wrong

don't get me wrong i do agree with most of what you said but come on these are basic british apps most people would like. i don't know about side loading but i will like most go and read up on this may be you just gave me the way to do this thank you :Yes: 

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Please accept my apologies for having called out your punctuation...all too often, we get "kids" here who only use "text speak" where there is no punctuation, grammar, or sentence structure...and is is very difficult to comprehend those posts. Your situation is completely different, and now I understand, and I wish you the best and also thank you for your devoted service.

As for those apps you mention...those all still fall to the app developer to choose to migrate to BB10. BlackBerry does not "pull" apps from the developer community...the developer makes their choice to support one platform or not. It's their choice, and it is they (the developers) who need "encouragement" to do what the consumers desire.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor
jtonmybb

[ Edited ]

Hi sdgardne

no apology needed !

I understand  what you say but as major players in a mobile market it would make sense (I think ) for blackberry to take an active roll in seeking the apps blackberry fans desire. I won't criticizing anyone I just fine it weird that blackberry are so far behind android or things like that. I would suggest if there is such a way for some knowledgeable chap to take android apps and make them user friendly for blackberry customers. i have to say I'M enjoying the jetpack app very good just worried about being charged when using an app  for gaming as I feel gaming should be free. I thank you for your posts may be you could guide me to were I can read up on side loading. I can't seem to find anything anyone  got any ideas were I can find a novice guide 

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Concerning BB "pulling" apps, consider...the apps you find desirable are UK-specific (if I understood you correctly earlier). But, what percentage of the total BB market is the UK? Further, what percentage of UK BB users desire those specific apps? I don't know the answers to those questions, but you can I hope begin to see the challenge for BlackBerry in that...they would need to, looking worldwide, pick and choose the apps that they deem to be the "most popular" and try to convince those specific developers to migrate their app to BB10. That, I think, would be a rather daunting challenge...and, oh by the way, doomed to failure...there will never be unanimity on what apps to target for such a venture, so there will always be some subset of users who believe that the "wrong" apps were targeted. (Get 10 people together, and you'll get 10 different lists of what is important to have.)

All of that said, I'm not an insider...so can't know truly anything...all I can do is surmise based on what I see in the world. But I believe that the challenge would be tremendous (from the BB "macro" perspective, having to do this worldwide) with little hope of adequate "success". So I can quite understand why they'd not even begin such a venture and, instead, focus on those few apps that they can truly say capture a huge portion of the worldwide market (e.g., FaceBook, Twitter, and most importantly the BB-proprietary apps like BBM, Travel, Protect, etc.).

For side loading, see this:

It's not a detailed "beginners" guide, but it does have the links to the necessary PC app (DDPB) as well as a site with many many already created .bar files (which are what are side-loaded, via DDPB, to the device). I've recently been investigating the capability to obtain and convert the installation files myself, so that I'm not limited to the versions published by others on such sites. I've not yet progressed into that...but that site (linked in that post) does have many that I wanted very much to have from the Android world onto my Z10.

A google search on "BB10 side load" (or something similar) should provide you plenty of results for more detailed instructions I'm sure.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates