Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry World

Contributor
xavic
My Device: BlackBerry 9800
My Carrier: N/A

how to upgrade App World?

I have a Torch 9800 with BB 6. When I try to install an app through App World it says:

"To continue using BlackBerry App World, you must upgrade your current version. For more information, please visit www.blackberry.com/appworld/support"

There I found this article saying that

"You can download the BlackBerry App World storefront or manually update your existing version of the BlackBerry App World storefront by visiting www.mobile.blackberry.com from your device"

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartphone_users/deliverables/47218/1232110.jsp

If I visit that website, there's a link to download BlackBerry App World, but it takes me to

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/

So, please, how can I upgrade the App World app?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: how to upgrade App World?

Hello,

From your BB Browser, please try this URL:

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
xavic

When I try to load that page an alert shows up saying "Cannot visit web page when radio is turned off. Please turn the radio on and try again."

But this doesn't make sense, because the WiFi is actually turned on, and I can load other web pages. (In case this is important, I do not have any SIM on the device.)

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

That is very strange. AppWorld no longer requires an active data plan for usage, so you should be able to access that webpage from your BB Browser. Can you access other websites from the BB Browser?

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
xavic

yes, I can load other websites (ex. I just loaded news.ycombinator.com, getprismatic.com, and www.yahoo.com).

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Try turning your Mobile Network radio on, and then trying again. I know that you have no carrier service, but maybe this will allow it to proceed...

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
xavic

Actually, it's already ON (if I go to Options -> Networks and Connections -> Mobile Network, I see

Data Services: On

While Roaming: On

Mobile Network: *None*

Network Selection Mode: Automatic

Network Mode: 2G & 3G

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

That screen tells you nothing about the status of the Mobile Network radio being on or off...it merely tells you the state of what it "sees" and is configured to do. But that screen does not control the Mobile Network radio itself. Rather, there should be a tic box (or similar) on the Manage Connections screen itself, before you get into the detail screen that you quote here.

Sorry I can't give you precise instructions...I don't have an older device like yours, and as such have a newer OS and things are quite different.

Good luck and let us know!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
xavic

Ok, I've found how to enable the mobile network (through the "Manage Connections" app, I've check the checkbox for Mobile Network; now a red SOS appears in the top right corner of the screen).

Unfortunately though, this doesn't solve the problem. Now, when trying to load that page, a dialog is shown with this text:

"The Browser cannot display the web page because the handheld does not contain a valid SIM card.

Insert a valid SIM card and try again. If the problem persists, contact your service provider."

Please use plain text.
Contributor
xavic

I can still load other websites btw.

Please use plain text.