Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry World

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: how to upgrade App World?

xavic wrote:

Ok, I've found how to enable the mobile network (through the "Manage Connections" app, I've check the checkbox for Mobile Network; now a red SOS appears in the top right corner of the screen).

Given what you describe, SOS is exactly what I'd expect.

xavic wrote:

Unfortunately though, this doesn't solve the problem. Now, when trying to load that page, a dialog is shown with this text:

"The Browser cannot display the web page because the handheld does not contain a valid SIM card.

Insert a valid SIM card and try again. If the problem persists, contact your service provider."

Hmmm...I wonder if your OS level does not have the ability to use the browser without a valid SIM? Some do have that problem. Within your Browser Options, is there any setting to force it to "HotSpot" or something similar? That should override it's attempt to use the non-existent Mobile Data Network and force it to function via WiFi. (Some OS levels allow this, some OS levels automate it, and some OS levels won't allow the BB Browser to work at all without the Mobile Network Radio.)

Given what you are describing, though, I doubt this will be successful. Your browser is able to browse everything EXCEPT the specific AppWorld download page...and that's quite strange indeed...

Another wild though...is this BB now or has it ever been associated with BES? Is there a latent IT Policy?

• KB30076 How to check for an IT Policy on a BlackBerry smartphone

It's a wild guess...but an IT Policy could be blocking this access...

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
xavic
My Device: BlackBerry 9800
My Carrier: N/A

I cannot see anything similar to HotSpot or any other restriction in the Browser Options. The closest thing that I think it could be related is a marked checkbox in the "Promp Before:" section saying "Switching to Carrier Network for Streaming Media", but I understand that this shouldn't have anything to do with the problem.

As for the IT Policy, I've opened Options -> Security -> Security Status Information, and in the Services section it says "* No Services *".

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Very strange indeed...how about attempting to boot into Safe Mode:

• KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Mode

It may take you multiple attempts to get the ESC key sequence (press/release/hold) correct, so be patient. When successfully into Safe Mode, try the AW download link again from your BB Browser.

Good luck and let us know!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
xavic

The device is in Safe Mode now (it says so at the top of the home screen), but when trying to access that web page to download App World, the alert "Cannot visit web page when radio is turned off. Please turn the radio on and try again." is still dispalyed. Also, I can still load other web pages.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Very very strange. OK...have you EVER had AW properly installed and functioning on this BB? I think you did, from your first post, but I want to be certain.

It may be that something is strangely wrong...but I've no idea what. It may be that a clean OS reload could cure things...or it may not...if you want to try, just ask and we can give a process.

Otherwise, you may need enhanced support, which you would need from RIM. Unfortunately, not having a mobile service plan means that you have absolutely zero formal support...so that's not available to you either (well, you can get RIM support for a fee...but not for free).

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
xavic

App World was certainly installed, but I don't know if it was working properly. I've received this (used) device for development and I never tried to install any app through App World (the only apps I've installed is the one I'm working on and some sample apps, using the BB plug-in for Eclipse and a USB cable).

I'll try to find out if it has ever worked. Anyway, could you please point me out to some instructions to do clean OS reload. I may try it (although probably not today or tomorrow but later this week).

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

xavic wrote:

I've received this (used) device for development 

Oh dear...that may change things indeed...see this:

• KB05099 Steps to take before selling or after buying a previously owned BlackBerry smartphone

If those steps were not properly conducted, then there could well be some wonky things indeed!

xavic wrote:

Anyway, could you please point me out to some instructions to do clean OS reload. I may try it (although probably not today or tomorrow but later this week).

At the top of each device forum, there should be some "sticky" threads that discuss the OS levels available for many models. If they include your model, then please use those as reference as you proceed. Otherwise, you will have to dig through the official download portal for OS packages for your model:

From a PC, you can install any compatible (e.g., for your exact BB Model Number) OS package to a BB via this procedure:

Note that while written for "reload" and the Storm, it can be used to upgrade, downgrade, or reload any BB device model -- it all depends on the OS package you download and install to your PC. If that OS package is from a carrier other than the carrier for which your BB was originally manufactured, then delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML...there will be at least one, and perhaps 2, and they will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
  • C:\Users\(your Windows UserName)\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML

Be sure that you remove, from your PC, any other BB device OS packages as having more than one installed to the PC can cause conflicts with this procedure.

You may also want to investigate the use of BBSAK (bbsak.org) to perform the wipe it is capable of.

You may also want to try this procedure to perhaps narrow down the precise causal item:

1. Load your OS "bare bones"...if anything is optional, do not install it.
  2. If the behavior presents immediately, then try a different OS with step 1
  3. If the behavior does not immediately present, then run for as long as it takes for you to be sure that the behavior will not present.
  4. Add one thing -- no matter how tempting, just one.
  5. If the behavior does not present immediately, then again run for long enough to be sure it will not have the same problem
  6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until all things are loaded or the behavior presents

When the behavior presents, you know the culprit...the last thing you loaded.

If the behavior does not re-present, then you know that either step 1 or 2 cured it.

If the behavior presents no matter what, then you likely have a hardware level issue for which no amount of OS or software can cure.

If you are on MAC, you are limited to only your carriers sanctioned OS packages...but can still use any levels that they currently sanction. See this procedure:

• KB19915How to perform a clean reload of BlackBerry smartphone application software using BlackBerry Desktop Software

Lastly, given the procurement method of this device, I'd recommend attempting to clear the IT Policy anyway, which is done via this:

• KB31291 How to reset a BlackBerry smartphone to factory settings using BlackBerry Desktop Software

Note that this is the ONLY way to remove the IT Policy (if there is one)...even the OS reload does not accomplish that. You can do this after the reload though. But, if you do any backup/restore, be sure to NOT do a wholesale restore after doing this...the IT Policy Database will be dutifully restored if you do...you must instead do a selective restore and be sure to skip any databases that have anything to do with IT Policy:

• KB03974 BlackBerry smartphone database list

Note further that, even though the screen indicated earlier that there is no IT Policy, there is a slim chance of there being a "stealth" IT Policy which is restricting things...there's no way to validate that, but this removal process will indeed cleanse it if such is the case.

Good luck and let us know!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
fionapillay
My Device: blackberry curve 9300 3G
My Carrier: vodacom

Pls can sum1 help me , what's the link to upgrade app world , not sure y everytym I download from app worl it shows error . Pls help
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
fionapillay
My Device: blackberry curve 9300 3G
My Carrier: vodacom

Every time I download from app world. N den try to open da icon its shows error , what can I do to sort this out . Pls help n wud also like to know if u have a link to downloa music.. I have 9300 curve
Please use plain text.