Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry World

New Contributor
baocao
My Device: blackberry bold 9000

is Blackberry Messenger free for me?

I was just wondering about Blackberry messenger

In my old phone, which was Sony ericsson, my parents banned my internet and texting since my last bill was really high. Anyways, my brother got a new phone and  he gave me his Blackberry bold 9000 I just transfered my sim card to this Blackberry. I could get on the internet with the Wi-Fi. (Is that for free? cause I'm not sure if its for free, I dont want my parents to rage at me again, lol) and I was wondering If the Blackberry Messenger is for free aswell from where I stand. I have read some articles/forums that It's not for free, and it can only be free if  I had unlimited plan and such, Idk what my plan is, all i know is that I can only do unlimited calls after 6 PM o_o. Other people said BBM is for free. Another question, if it happens that my Blackberry Messenger is really for free, Is it free if i talk to people from USA if I live in Canada?

-Thank you :smileyhappy:

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: is Blackberry Messenger free for me?

Hello,

Every one of your questions is answered by your plan from your carrier. But, since you don't know what your plan is, there's no way to answer. In general, the BBM application is 100% free. Usage is subject to your data plan from your carrier. If you have an unlimited plan, then it is effectively free -- actually, "included" would be the better word... If you don't have an unlimited plan, then it will be subject to whatever the terms of your plan are. But, again, not knowing your plan makes it impossible to say.

Cheers!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
missbabe247
My Device: BlackBerry curve 9300 or 3G

Hello

I'm on P.A.Y.G on 3 do I get BBM free? :smileyhappy:

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

missbabe247 wrote:

Hello

I'm on P.A.Y.G on 3 do I get BBM free? :smileyhappy:

Hello,

The quickest way for you to get your answer is to ask your carrier. There are so many carriers in the world with so many different plans that it's pretty much impossible to keep up with things to that level of detail.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
SophieA
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 8520

I am on orange contract, i get unlimited texts and i get 300 free mins and i was just wondering if bbm is free for me? I have a blackberry curve 8520. 

Also i am going away to spain in a few weeks i was just wondering will it be free to bbm my friends from spain to england? 

Thanks for your time. 

Contributor
chris_tech
My Device: 9300 Curve 3G

If you are on a Dolphin Pay Monthly plan then you get 500mb of Blackberry data free which will more than cover you're BBM usage.

When it comes to using it in Spain you will be charged international data rate. As you will be on a foreign network you're allowance won't apply as it only covers you for usage whilst you are in the UK.

The current rate for Orange whilst using your phone abroad in the EU is £3.00 per mb.

Hope this helps

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you're happy with your answer please click on the Kudos star - All feedback welcome

twitter / tech_advice
New Contributor
arkad
My Device: BB curve

hello. Blackberry Messenger is absolutely  free, you ca nuse it anywhere in the world. I am using blackberry messenger with my blackberry curve. It is really great, i think i made a right coice to buy BB instead of apple. For futher explaination, visit this  website: http://www.howtouseblackberrymessenger.info/

You should love this http://www.howtouseblackberrymessenger.info
BB9320
My Device: Curve 9320

I was wondering if i'm at home and connected to a wireles snetwork then is using BBM free?

BTW i'm on PAYG giffgaff with £11 credit

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

BB9320 wrote:

I was wondering if i'm at home and connected to a wireles snetwork then is using BBM free?

BTW i'm on PAYG giffgaff with £11 credit

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

As this thread discusses above, the best place to get the answer is from your mobile service provider. ALL services, including BBM, are provided to you by virtue of the services you subscribe to from your carrier, and that subscription is required regardless of if you use the services via WiFi or via the carrier data network. If you are subscribed to a plan that includes BBM, then indeed use of it is included within your plan. If you are not subscribed to an adequate plan, then you cannot use it. It truly is that simple.

As for if you will have any data network charges when you use it, that as well depends on your service plan from your carrier.

As I hope you can now see, all billing and service concerns are best handled between the subscriber and the carrier from which the services are subscribed.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Trusted Contributor
rambo47
My Device: BlackBerry Q10

As sdgardne has said, BBM uses your data. You will not be charged on a per-message basis like many folks are charged for text messages. BBM messages use tiny amounts of date per message, so it does count against your monthly data allotment. However, this is a very small amount of data (measured in kb per message), and if you're using WiFi even that tiny data usage will not count against your monthly allotment.