If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry World

New Contributor
warlock14
My Device: Not Specified

not enough memory,just for 4 or 5 apps and memory full and anything running very slowly

I habe a blackberry storm and today is available in spain app world so I downloaded 7 or 8 apps and games and now my bb is empty of memory and everything is running so so much slowly.

The thing is that every app or game downloaded is stored in the device memory and not in the sd card that I have.

I have sd card 8 gigas in the bb;how can I do to transfer all the games and apps to the sd card?how can I download them directly to the sd?is not possible to storage in the sd the apps?

so little the memory of bb storm then.why they have app world if only 4 or 5 apps can support the memory of bb storm.

I have also an iphone and never it happened like this,I have in the iphone more than 400 apps and still plenty of space.

Why BB storm not same.

What can I do?I can not install anything more.when I check the memory says:

Application memory

Free space:4.5 MB

Device memory

total space:879 MB

Free space848 MB

media card

total space:7.3 gigas

free space:7.0 gigas

So I have plenty of space available,but anything apps using only the application memory;why?

best regards

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: not enough memory,just for 4 or 5 apps and memory full and anything running very slowly

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

There are three types of potential memory on a BB: 1) Application Memory, 2) Device Memory, and 3) Media/SD Card Memory

Application Memory -- This is the most crucial; it is the protected (not user accessible), dedicated, and fixed (in size) space that is available as the destination for the installation of applications (plus some application storage, overhead and such). You cannot touch AppMemory. You cannot improve the maximum AppMemory that your BB has. It is what it is. Applications can only install here...there is no option.

Device Memory -- This is space on your BB that you can touch to store files, pictures, media, etc. Typically, it is not terribly large, but it is available to you.

SD/Media Card Memory -- This is what it says...your SD card, for you to store files, media, pictures, etc. It can be as large as your BB OS can support...see this KB:
http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB05461

On some devices/OS levels, Device Memory and Application Memory are combined into "File Free"...these are, IMO, a little harder to administer as you really can't see well just how much AppMemory you have. Nevertheless, here are some guidelines to use:
http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB15345
http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB14320
http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB14213

Lastly, it is always important to properly close applications when you are done with them. Using the Back or the Red key will not do this -- those leave it to the app to decide what to do...and some will leave themselves resident in memory, consuming resources on your BB, slowing the overall performance. Rather, to close an app, press the BBKey and select "Close" or "Exit"...that will force the application to be closed, freeing up for your new use the resources it was consuming. Some apps will always remain running (typically -- BBMessenger, Browser, Homescreen, Phone, and Messages)...but, you should still close them properly - especially the Browser...if it is left on an active web page, it will not only consume extra resources but battery power as well.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
warlock14
My Device: Not Specified

Re: not enough memory,just for 4 or 5 apps and memory full and anything running very slowly

Thanks for the reply

So I cannot have more than 2 or 3 apps as maximum in my BB storm?if I have more all is run slowly.

Why RIM make app world with so many apps if only 2 or 3 the customers can have as a maximum.

Now I have no option,only delete the apps I was buy and loose the money I was pay for them and keep only 1 or 2 apps.

There is no way I can pass the apps to the sd memory or the Device memory?

If like this then is really bad BB storm,why RIM make BB with so little memory and then make so much apps at same time if they now this?

Better a million times the iphones from apple that hey have 16 gigas and 32 gigas,why rim not make same?

What can I do?There is no software to store the apps in the other memomy like device or sd?

Best regards

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

No, that's not what I said. What I said was that AppMemory is fixed (in size), untouchable directly by you, and must be the destination for the installation of apps (plus some other stuff -- but you cannot control it). The quantity of apps you can install is directly related to the size of the apps plus the size of the information store you keep (emails, sms, etc. -- these take space in app memory as well). Good memory management is the key -- and I've already provided you with the relevant KB articles. The only other thing to memory management is a regular reboot:

Anytime random strange behaviors creep in, the first thing to do is a battery pop reboot. With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes. See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

There is also an app called quick pull that can simulate a batt-pull reboot and clean up memory leaks and such. I have that run every night and do a batt-pop only rarely anymore.

There is also supposed to be, in the new AppWorld plus another app (Aziere???), a mechanism for swapping apps in and out of installed status. They still install to AppMemory, but they uninstall when you are done using them. I've not had the need to use those, but I've heard of them.

RIM devices are not WM or iPhones -- they operate differently, with a different balance between security, usability, reliability, and a whole host of other concerns that we cannot hope to fully understand. Security has always been a key for BB's -- you will notice that POTUS carries a BB rather than any other type of mobile device...therefore there must be reasons behind the manner in which BB's function so as to keep them secure enough for POTUS.

Lastly -- I can't address any of your questions that have to do with "why"...

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
KingCobra
My Device: Storm 9530, Verizon, 5.0.0.419

What you need to do is download all your Blackberry info to a computer, and take the Media Card, install card into cardreader, install reader to computer, copy the games to the media card. Everytime you want to download games, take the SD card out of phone and use Blackberry Desktop Manager and install directly to SD Card. I had similar problems with downloading videos, it would end up in device memory, instead of media card.
Please use plain text.