Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
StrawBerryZ10
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
Accepted Solution

15 minute delay to receive GoDaddy IMAP emails?

[ Edited ]

My Z10 seems to only be checking my (GoDaddy) IMAP account for new emails every 15 minutes. The same account used to immediately download new emails when I had my 9780 last month.

I know BB10 does not support BIS, but that it does still support push. So what's happening? Why the delay now?

Can I enable IMAP idle to solve this? Does anyone here have experience with connecting a GoDaddy IMAP account to a BB10 device and getting emails quickly (within 20 seconds)?

Forums Advisor III
jerryg50
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700

Re: 15 minute delay to receive GoDaddy IMAP emails?

Go in to the setup for your email account. Toward the bottom of the entry list for the parameters is an option to be able to check the time interval for checking the account. If you put the amount of minutes very low the data usage will increase even if emails do not come in.

The device or phone requires a certain amount of data just to do the polling for email through the mobile system. If you have a large data plan then this should not be an issue.

Jerry G.
Super Contributor
ukmight
My Device: Z10 STL 100-2 & PlayBook 64GB

BB10 suports push but only if the email service provider allows it. Godaddy does not provide push emails for POP or IMAP. Godaddy has enabled push only for its exchange email servers. 

Hence, it is necessary for the Z10 to keep polling the email server at regular interval. The time interval can be set as decribed in the earlier post.

In the legacy devices, the BIS server used to do the polling and push the email whenever an email would arrive. Hence, push was possible on servers which did not even support push earlier.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Twitter: @ukmight
1. Click on the " Like " button if you find anything helpful posted.

2. If any of the replies in your post has resolved your problem, mark the reply(ies) as " Solution ", so that others can readily view the solution instead of creating another redundant post.
Contributor
StrawBerryZ10

The fastest check frequency is every 15 minutes.

That's the situation I'm in already. 15 minutes is too slow if you're having an email conversation with someone at some point.

So I guess my I'm stuck with slower IMAP check intervals basically?

Super Contributor
ukmight
My Device: Z10 STL 100-2 & PlayBook 64GB

You can always tap refresh in the hub to poll your emails faster manually.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Twitter: @ukmight
1. Click on the " Like " button if you find anything helpful posted.

2. If any of the replies in your post has resolved your problem, mark the reply(ies) as " Solution ", so that others can readily view the solution instead of creating another redundant post.
Contributor
StrawBerryZ10

ukmight wrote:

BB10 suports push but only if the email service provider allows it. Godaddy does not provide push emails for POP or IMAP. Godaddy has enabled push only for its exchange email servers. 

Hence, it is necessary for the Z10 to keep polling the email server at regular interval. The time interval can be set as decribed in the earlier post.

In the legacy devices, the BIS server used to do the polling and push the email whenever an email would arrive. Hence, push was possible on servers which did not even support push earlier.

You are the first person who has been able to answer my question with respect to GoDaddy. Finally I know what's going on. Considering moving to Exchange.

I salute you!

Contributor
StrawBerryZ10

ukmight wrote:

You can always tap refresh in the hub to poll your emails faster manually.

Another good point.

It seems moving from the previous generation to BB10 is a bit of a learning curve as you need to be aware of the best way to set up accounts to continue to get emails coming in fast. They're all different, depending on the email hosting provider.