Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Forums Advisor III
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: 20 things wrong with the Z10

Tigershark24 wrote:
Also, to add to the list of gripes, when surfing on iphone telephone numbers listed on websites can ( dialled with a single press of the listing. This cannot be done on the Z10 and also the copy paste function does not work in the dial screen. This is a big mistake that should be rectified as soon as possible. I like this phone but the niggles and software glitches are mounting. Sort it out BlackBerry or the goodwill will disappear fast.

The lack of paste into the dialer field is a known issue and should be fixed in a new release. I'm also sure that they will add the functionality to dial straight from web links. Smiley Happy

-: DrewRead :-
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
"Like it" if you like it. Smiley Happy
Forums Advisor III

hajmuntz wrote:

I have been searching for a common sense discussion on the z10. I finally seem ti have found it. 

My thoughts. 

3. Cursor often gets lost off screen. This must be a bug to be addressed in first update. 
Can you explain this one further, I don't believe I've ever noticed it...
6. Hub. Great concept but not for me. I want to see separate email folders and would happily forgo the unified messaging. Please please create an option to turn it off in settings. 

I've gotta stick up for the Hub, it is a really great idea! All of your email folders, and facebook and twitter, etc are seperate in the hub, you simply have to choose the folder you want to view by pulling the lower left icon (or click on it) and choosing the folder you want to see. They simply moved these from the home page and made them work together in the hub.

Yes it is new, and no it is not 'the same old Blackberry way'... but everyone has been asking for them to change their ways, so you can't also blame them for doing so! Smiley Very Happy

You can also very easily toggle which of these seperate email folders you want to view within the hub, pull down for the options and turn them on and off with toggles at will.

8. Is there really any value in the active tiles? Just seems to get in the way.

The tiles are what give you access to the BEST multi-tasking I have ever seen in the mobile business. Properly programmed Blackberry apps (not ports from Android) make use of the tiles in ways that provide you info on the tile screens that are useful without even re-entering the app itself! Something new and different.. learn to use it. Smiley Happy

9. Why did blackberry see fit to ditch the messaging status icons at the header of the screen. Who did they hurt. Another useful feature gone. 

Again, this is not gone at all, simply moved to the Hub. The functionality is great and gives you more options than ever before:

• Swipe up from the bottom bezel and the notifications are listed on the sides..
  • Choose to see what's there? Continue the swipe to the right slowly to 'peek' into the hub
  • Decide it's important to read? Fully swipe into the hub to deal with them if they are important.
  • Decide it is unimportant? Return that finger to the bottom bezel at ANY time to continue what you were working on.
If you are in the hub, you can quick peek the hub strip. Simply put your finger on the lower left icon and swipe to the left to peek into the hub strip and see where the notifications are. You can do this from ANYWHERE within the hub.. an email, a tweet, a facebook post, a text.. or a reply to any of the above. Easy as pie and uber-efficient.

My summary: Learn to use and love the NEW features rather than wonder why the old way has changed.. We've all been asking for change, and guess what? It's right there in your hand!

Don't think that I am saying that there is no room for improvement, I'm simply saying that there are some improvements that you are not seeing that are right in front of you! Smiley Happy

Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

drewread wrote:

br14 wrote:

Not true. It take 10 seconds for you to connect to your average GMail account or whatever, but you're in trouble if you try to connect to anything else.

BIS is dead or dying and that was the main reason I had a BlackBerry. BIS could talk to my email server whereas absolutely no one else can.

It really doesn't take long to setup any type of email account on the Z10, simply chose Advanced, chose the type and fill in the fields. If you don't know the elements you need to fillin the fields, call your email provider's support line. Smiley Happy

Sorry I didn't make it completely obvious, but when I said "absolutely no one else can", it was because after trying countless different options with countless different email client and providers (including using the advanced settings), only BIS has been able to successfully connect to my email server.

Probably because they all try to read every email, and the server barfs because of the volume. BIS on the other hand was clever enough to read limited mail, and therefore worked ok. I've had to set up MX records on the server to forward mail to a client my device can talk to, but I dislike intensely the fact Google now has access to all my data.

Without BIS one of the major advantages of the BlackBerry platform is lost. Reliability of email service, compression and encryption. Its a terrible backward step, as have been a number of strategic choices made by the new BlackBerry platform. 

Forums Advisor III

br14 wrote:

Sorry I didn't make it completely obvious, but when I said "absolutely no one else can", it was because after trying countless different options with countless different email client and providers (including using the advanced settings), only BIS has been able to successfully connect to my email server.

Probably because they all try to read every email, and the server barfs because of the volume. BIS on the other hand was clever enough to read limited mail, and therefore worked ok. I've had to set up MX records on the server to forward mail to a client my device can talk to, but I dislike intensely the fact Google now has access to all my data.

Without BIS one of the major advantages of the BlackBerry platform is lost. Reliability of email service, compression and encryption. Its a terrible backward step, as have been a number of strategic choices made by the new BlackBerry platform. 

... and I ask again, as politely as I possibly can with a smiley and everything, what email platform are you having trouble connecting the Z10 to? I can't remember reading that information anywhere in this very long thread, although I may have missed it Smiley Happy

Developer

[ Edited ]

It's a Linux based email server that supports IMAP, POP and SMTP (among others). Not sure that it really matters since I control neither the email server nor the software trying to connect to it. The problem is that the various client applications built by everyone from Google to Yahoo to BlackBerry are unable to deal with the error returned from the server when they try and read all 5,000 emails at once. (I should also point out I spent an hour on the phone with a tech from my provider tracing and debugging the issue - the result was that the client application couldn't handle the error issued from the server).

BIS  had no problem connecting to my email server and both reading and sending email. All of the other network based email clients don't seem to be able to handle the error responses even when reading. Thunderbird and other desktop clients manage ok but can only read. I assume because they can't handle the relay. I assume BIS sends from it's own servers using SMTP but with my email address as the "from" header.

My point again is that removing BIS is a backward step and reduces the service level available for BlackBerry users.

With BIS all I had to do when I bought a new device was go to the blackberry.net website and reprovision all my  email addresses in one go. Now I have to manually set them up and in my case I had to add MX records to the servers just to read email. And that's not even considering the fact my data usage is now going to double or more.

Highlighted
Forums Advisor III

Have you contacted Blackberry support with this issue? Are they aware of it?
New Contributor

>I am not concerned about the apps - they will come<

Anyone that purchased a PlayBook knows the danger of trusting the apps "will come."