Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
royalblue32
My Device: BB Z10

Re: APN setting on the BB z10

I would be interested to hear your feedback
New Contributor
RussianNinja
My Device: BlackBerry z10

Apparently they do not work on weekends haha. Last time I called them though they gave me a phone number to my carrier which is straight talk and they obviously didn't help.

I'm not trying to find out if getting a t-mobile $30 plan or  even the ATT sim card will work. The T-mobile guy said no, but what does he know? He didn't even try putting in a sim card. 

I'll be making a few calls in the morning and will see what I can get out of them.

Developer
djogon
My Device: Z10

Same situation here. APN settings cannot be changed, but frankly ... how many times did you go out of country with your phone and data just worked? Even when you didn't want it to work in roaming mode!

This is the first phone I have ever seen that has the APN fields disabled. It makes no sense. If I'm connected to one service provider - I HAVE TO go through their network / hardware to connect to the internet or send an MMS. I cannot enter bogus information into APN and have it work. This stuff should be transparent. You drive around and your network switches - your access changes automatically. I shouldn't have to fiddle with the APN in the first place.

As it stands - I sadly had to demote my Z10 to just an in-house device until this gets resolved and I can enter the APN information.

I used to recommend Z10 to other people, but I'll have to stop now since the phone's BASIC functions don't work. It may be pretty, but it must have the basic functionality to be even considered a usable device.

I hope BB is listening for their sake.

New Contributor
RussianNinja
My Device: BlackBerry z10

I had to return my z10 because of this. I'll buy it when it is solved. I might as well just go with HTC one now as at least it works with straight talk and apn can be changed. I had my hopes up high but now they are ruined.
Contributor
cyberjamb

I have the same problem with StraightTalk. The APN is set to a  T-Mobile APN because StraightTalk is a T-Mobile reseller. I tried a Simple Mobile sim and it to is a T-Mobile reseller and the APN was also set to theT-Mobile APN. The differece is when I activated the sim on the automated phone system it recognized the IMEI number as a Blackberry device and setup the Blackberry Unlimited talk/text/data for $50. The APN did not change but my Z10's data works at T-Mobile 4G speeds. The Blackberry symbol appears next to the 4G symbol on the top right corner. the BIS plan has no ill effect on Z10.  I did some futher testing using a SwissCom and WIND Italy sims - they allow the APN to be edited. So the APN locking is a function of the sim card.

JSanders
Solutions: 5,993
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

cyberjamb wrote:

So the APN locking is a function of the sim card.

And the SIM card comes from the carrier, which locks the APN. Same difference.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
cyberjamb

No kidding... Of course the SIM card come from the carrier! I was just stating that the SIM card is locking out the APN and what works and what doesn't.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,993
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

lol, and I was just repeating what had already been stated... the carrier locks it.

Same difference.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
cyberjamb

yep - So you guys in the USA try Simple Mobile and see if that works for you before returning your Z10... I am going to try other SIMs and post what I find out.
Developer
djogon

I have sim cards from two different countries. One of them is pay per go so no locking as they assume you will use an unlocked phone!

Still - the APN is greyed out on an factory unlocked phone. The phone was not purchased through a carrier so carrier is NOT involved in this.

The pay-per-go card works in ANY other unlocked phone. iPhone, NOKIA ... any phone indeed except the Z10

This is a function of the software on the phone itself and BB needs to acknowledge this and fix the issue. Many people I showed the phone to loved it, but when I explained why there's no data on it - they simply all said "I'll wait"

My life does not depend on having data on Z10, but I don't think BB can afford to lose even a single customer at this point. This is a big issue and simply ignoring it will not make it go away.

An official response from BlackBerry explaining when is the fix for this going to be available would help.