Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: att, tmo usa, vodafone cz, orange sk

Re: APN setting on the BB z10

If you have a blacked out APN it's quite easy to change it.

Open your browser, type escreen://   and enter it.  Click ok and the help screen will come up.

On your computer go to http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9610464/HelpScreen.html

Enter the information from your phones helpscreen into that generator and generate your key.  On a z10 swipe your keyboard up while looking at the helpscreen and enter that code.  On a q10 just type it.

Then you are in the engineering screens.  Go to General radio, scroll to set APN name and enter the apn you need.  Back out and the network will reset with the new apn.

New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Unlocked

I did the same stuff as you mentioned. But the APN changes again to default.
Contributor
My Device: Mexico 6 & Z10
My Carrier: MPT

I fully agree. I am a BB fan. I always use BB handset where there is no BB store, no BIS and no BES. Most of blackberry apps such as BBM, appworld are never working in my country, Myanmar. But I always order from foreign countries and use it. But I can say that I could change APN and could get data services(only for opera) in OS 5,6,7 devices (bold 9900). Now I am using Z10 and face many problems in which I can't save APN name, I have to use internet via wifi only. In Myanmar, there is only one operator and it allows all phone, all SIM to get data services by inserting APN name"mptnet". Nokia, Samsung, Iphone, BB 9900 can get data by this way. But I can't get data on my z10. Operator said there is no restriction on data services and it is your phone issue when I complained to Operator. So I asked BB HELP team via twitter, crackberry. But BBteam said it is operator issue. They asked me to contact to my provider.

Finally, I have no way to get data services. I have received my Z10 since Feb 2013. I had to send it to Singapore two times for set up procedure of new device because it couldn't set up here. Second time is why I made factory restart. Since 2009, I have started with Blackberry devices never get services, most apps are never run but I patient and hope BB will upgrade or will try to be flexible in future as other competitor does. I always worry about RIM's fininancial progress and always pray for BB not to be bankrupt. I use this phone prouldy. But finally all of my friends are laughing about me and BB makes me feel so guilty.

TQ

Highlighted
Contributor

MaungLmm wrote:

I fully agree. I am a BB fan. I always use BB handset where there is no BB store, no BIS and no BES. Most of blackberry apps such as BBM, appworld are never working in my country, Myanmar. But I always order from foreign countries and use it. But I can say that I could change APN and could get data services(only for opera) in OS 5,6,7 devices (bold 9900). Now I am using Z10 and face many problems in which I can't save APN name, I have to use internet via wifi only. In Myanmar, there is only one operator and it allows all phone, all SIM to get data services by inserting APN name"mptnet". Nokia, Samsung, Iphone, BB 9900 can get data by this way. But I can't get data on my z10. Operator said there is no restriction on data services and it is your phone issue when I complained to Operator. So I asked BB HELP team via twitter, crackberry. But BBteam said it is operator issue. They asked me to contact to my provider.

Finally, I have no way to get data services. I have received my Z10 since Feb 2013. I had to send it to Singapore two times for set up procedure of new device because it couldn't set up here. Second time is why I made factory restart. Since 2009, I have started with Blackberry devices never get services, most apps are never run but I patient and hope BB will upgrade or will try to be flexible in future as other competitor does. I always worry about RIM's fininancial progress and always pray for BB not to be bankrupt. I use this phone prouldy. But finally all of my friends are laughing about me and BB makes me feel so guilty.

TQ

My wife is from Myanmar and I know how hard it is to get anything. Your issue with the Z10 is not uncommon as I had the very same issue and I had to give up the my Z10. Since you are stuck with only one carrier, I would suggest that you get a S3 or a iPhone5 and move away from the Z10. The S3 has a removalble battery which is helpful when you need all day service. I'm not sure, but the electrical service wasn't that good a few years ago and having a good battery was important.

Good luck and I hope that you don't waste any more time or money on the Z10.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you for your advice. I know well S3, Iphone how they work in Myanmar. But I don't like iOS and Android. I very like BBOS and I am proud of grabing it. My friends use Android phones(S3, S4, Note2, Xperia) and Iphone (4s, 5) but no one know about BB and don't use. As I mentioned above, I have used it from 2009 to till now without having BIS, BES. But I could get full services when I abroad with my business. Now Myanmar Government awarded of Tender for International Mobile Providers, Telenor and Ooredoo. I hope that they can provide data plan and also BIS.

Anyhow I understand that this APN on Z10 issue is Blackberry's fault. Because other phones can configure APN easily and get data. Why are they so rigit and limited upon user friendly  although they need to survive on smart phone market?

1. Some people says it can be solved by updating. Here, Software update function never works. How can I?

2. Some people says it can be solved by setting APN in General Radio setting of Engineering screen. I did but not ok.

3. some people says it can be solved by updating the leaked OS update via BB link. I tried for OS 10.1. I could updated but I had to send my z10 to Singapore for set up after updating(factory restart) as second time. Because it can't start up to get Home screen here. It can't continue after choosing language, then it can't establish internet connection with SIM card. So I choose Wifi connection but Myanmar is not included in warranty page as choosing other country never continue. Finally I could update to 10.1.0.1483. I can type APN name but can't save and doesn't work.

I want to get this required update file's downloadable link from BB website or this community page. Blackberry World never works here. Please advise.

Thanks and regards,

Lmm.

Regular Contributor
My Carrier: AT&T

"

Now Myanmar Government awarded of Tender for International Mobile Providers, Telenor and Ooredoo. I hope that they can provide data plan and also BIS.

"

The Z10 does not use the BIS, so getting that service available where you are will not help at all.

The APN "prroblem" is a SIM card/carrier problem.

I'm with AT&T here in the US. I have an unlocked Z10. AT&T "locks" the APN so that it can not be changed (except by going into the escreen which DOES work just fine). I put a T-Moble SIM card in and I CAN edit the APN without going into the escreen.

So, the APN problem that you are having (not being able to change it without going into the escreen) is strictly a setting that your current carrier is setting in your SIM card.

Fred

Contributor
My Device: Z10 & Playbook
My Carrier: Tuenti

For the people that change APN but the Z10 don't connect to network, try to do that:

1. Open escreen
  2. Select 3GPP Radio > Utilities
  3. Press on "PRESS" button in PS Attach 

If you have the APN correctly configurated it should connect (I do that every day after disable airplane mode) Smiley Happy

I hope you can use that, and it works for other people. 

Contributor

Thanks for your advice. I tried as per your instruction but it didn't change anything. Next helpful suggestion would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Lmm

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello,

Mr.Fred98tj, I went to Bangkok last week. I bought a SIM card at DTAC at airport. They sell SIM and data services to all phones(including z10, q10). I bought a SIM with data plan for a week. But I couldn't get data services and could get only phone call and SMS. So I went to this DTAC counter and asked to solve this problem. They tried for one and half hour to get mobile data but it didn't work. They checked many times and give up. They surprised and said that all Z10 can get data easily. My phone is only one and it is their first time. They paid back money to me for SIM card and data plan fees. So can you tell me it is mobile provider's problem? I don't think so. Any how thank you for your comment. I hope BB team will solve for this.

BTW, I updated my z10 via BB link software when it was available at BKK via wifi.(never see this notification in Myanmar).  I can save APN 'mptnet' after I arrive back to Yangon from Bangkok. But mobile data functioni still doesn't work although can save APN. Pls advise. Thanks.

lmm

Solutions: 6,163
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

MaungLmm wrote:

So can you tell me it is mobile provider's problem? I don't think so. Any how thank you for your comment. I hope BB team will solve for this.

Yes, it is. Had you tied perhaps another SIM card provider, you would have found had the ability to edit the APN.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code