Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
tbakos
My Device: Z10 STL 100-3
My Carrier: Consumer Cellular

Re: APN setting on the BB z10

[ Edited ]

I have not tried the new SIM yet.  It is in the mail  - ought to receive in about 3 days.

This was something I felt I had to try but I am not confident it will work.  It is, however, the least invasive fix (if there is one).  I will let you know what happens when I try.

I am not confident a new SIM will fix this problem because I did put the SIM card from my #1 Z10 (this SIM in #1 Z10 worked perfectly) into the #2 Z10 and the #2 Z10 could still not connect to mobile Data since I could not set and save an APN on that phone.

Interestingly, the SIM from the #2 Z10 did work in the #1 Z10 for mobile Data (and everything else, I believe) but I had to change the APN (which I am allowed to do in the #1 Z10).   

Here's that story:

Consumer Cellular provided  APN = ccdata for the #1 Z10 which worked with the #1 Z10 SIM card.  As I said in the earlier post, the #1 Z10 works perfectly on the Consumer Cellular / AT&T network.  Apparently the #1 Z10 thinks it is an AT&T phone.  It even has the AT&T logo on the back and automatically updated to OS 10.2.1.2179.

Howver, when I had the APN set to ccdata on the #1 Z10 and the #2 SIM card in it, I got an error message on boot "APN information cannot be verified" with a suggestion to contact the carrier.  Well, Consumer Cellular also provided an APN = att.mvno.  So, I set the APN on #1 Z10 to att.mvno (which, again, I can do on the #1 Z10) and mobile Data worked. 

From this, I assume there is some coding on the SIM relative to acceptable APN's.  On the #1 SIM the acceptable APN is ccdata and on the #2 SIM the acceptable APN is att.mvno.  That is why I thought, perhaps, a new SIM might correct the mobile Data problem.

Is the reason I can't set APN on #2 Z10 related to its OS?

No matter what SIM is in it (even if no SIM is installed) I am still unable to set and save an APN on #2 Z10. That, I assume must have something to do with the OS version on the phone.  The #2 Z10 automatically updated to OS 10.2.1.2102 - which, I assume, maybe associated with a carrier that doesn't allow the APN to be manually set.

If I could set the APN, I could, probably, solve the problem I am having on #2 Z10 with mobile Data.  Is it reasonable to assume that I cannot set and save the APN on #2 Z10 because the OS 10.2.1.2102 doesn't allow that function and I can set and save the APN on #1 Z10 because the AT&T OS version 10.2.1.2179 does allow me to do that?

If so, could I replace the OS 10.2 version on #2 Z10 with OS 10.2.1.2179?  Any opinions on whether or not that will work and how I might actually do that?  I, of course, will wait to see if the new SIM I get fixes things first.

I am wondering if the problem many seem to be having (including me for one of my Z10's) setting and saving an APN is due to the software version running on their Z10's which seem to be carrier specific?  Some carriers allow that - some don't.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Problem_child
My Device: Z10 STL100-2
My Carrier: Out

I'm afraid you're moving to the wrong direction, that's why I think so:

I also have two Z10 at same carrier both

#1 Z10 is unlocked

- I bought it used from the middle of nowhere :smileyhappy:  just unlocked with OS 10.2.0.249 and APN was editable;

- then it was updated OTA to OS 10.2.0.429, APN still was editable;

- then it was updated OTA to OS 10.2.1.2102 and it's still has editable APN 'til now

#2 Z10 is neverlocked

- I bought it new at i-net auction with 10.0.don't_remember_exact_which_OS and I have no idea about APN 'cos immediatly after switch on it asked for OTA to OS 10.2.1.2102 and I did it. I could enter APN after update without problems and it's still editable.

As add to info, I'm at carrier don't supporting BB officially and even this fact don't prohibits me to edit APN on OS 10.2.1.2102

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tbakos

Well, obviously, there is a lot of mystery surrounding this problem. 

What models are your two Z10's? 

My STL 100-3 Model RFF91LW with OS 10.2.2179 allows me to set the APN.

My STL 100-3 Model RFK121LW with OS 10.2.1.2102 does not let me set the APN.

There has got to be a difference between mine and yours that allow you to set the APN using OS 10.2.1.2102 but not me.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Problem_child
My Device: Z10 STL100-2
My Carrier: Out

1. My are STL100-2 both

One is RFL121LW and another one is LE, so it hasn't model number on the box and I don't want to open its cover to add checking sticker because wearing off that bumper of my wife device is real pain :smileyhappy:

2. It's Your words, not mine about differences somewhere out of OS.

3. I live in CIS, and I have some reports from guys living in other CIS countries that they have APN troubles with devices without any problems in another country; and I have another reports from such guys they have problems with one carrier and haven't any with another one.

P.S. I just found some info in Russian, so here are step worked for somebody:

1. Enter to escreen (I believe it was some howto about it somewhere in this topic)

2. Go to "3GPP radio" -> "Utilities", find out "Attach option" and press "PRESS" button

3. Go to "General Radio Option" and enter Your APN setting

4. End of story :smileyhappy:

Hopefully it wil work for You

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tbakos

I tried your suggested escreen fix on my problem Z10.

I don't have an "Attach Option" choice on my 3GPP Radio -> Utilities page.  The PRESS box on my Z10 is "PS Attach"  There is also a box "PS Attached" which shows as a "Yes".  It is also a "Yes" on my Z10 that does connect to mobile Data.

Anyway, I tried your approach but it didn't work for me.

I can type an APN in the APN box on the General Radio page but it doesn't save.  The box goes blank again as soon as I close the keyboard.

Please use plain text.