Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Regular Contributor
sk8er_tor
My Device: Not Specified

Access To Storage using Wi-Fi

Hi,

I have both a PlayBook and a Z10.

Access to storage using WiFi works fine when connecting to my PlayBook via WiFi. I go into Windows Explorer and type in my \\192.168.x.x and I can see the drive and all files and can drag and drop easily. However, I can't say the same about my Z10. I have the option enabled on my device, added the required password, and for whatever reason, I cannot connect to it. I even tried reloading the OS on my Z10 and am still having the same problem. I just uninstalled my PC's virus scanner, disabled firewall, and disabled Windows Defender. Rebooted my laptop and I still can't connect.

I'm on Windows 7, 64-bit, professional.

Any suggestions?

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor II
scrannel
My Device: Z10 10.2.1.3247

Re: Access To Storage using Wi-Fi

I just use BB link and access phone via wifi.  It creates two HD icons on my win 7 computer, one for device storage and one for SD card. 

Please use plain text.
Retired
Cpt_Sweatpants
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Hi sk8er_tor,

Have you added your computer to the devices section under Settings>Media Sharing>Devices? This is the only way to share media between your BlackBerry Z10 and your computer.

Thanks.

-CptS

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
sk8er_tor

Hi Cpt,

I don't think we're talking about the same thing here. I'm talking about standard Wi-Fi file sharing so I can see my device's drive in Windows Explorer over Wi-Fi. I believe this uses SAMBA. You can find this under Settings>Storage and Access>Access using Wi-Fi.

You're talking about Media Sharing for DLNA. In any event, I still did what you asked and added my laptop's IP address but I still don't see my device when entering its IP address in Windows Explorer. That said, I'm able to see my pictures, videos, and music from within the Windows Media Player program on my laptop.

Howerver, I still cannot see my device from Windows Explorer so I can drag/drop files. Any other suggestions?

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
tickerguy
My Device: Z-10

Are you sure the workgroup is correct?

This works for me on my Z-10.

Market Information? Come read The Market Ticker!
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
sk8er_tor

[ Edited ]

Hi Tickerguy,

The Workgroup on my laptop and Z10 are the same: WORKGROUP.

As I said, my PlayBook connects fine. My Z10 refuses to connect.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Some Routers keep LAN and Wifi seaparate and you have to remove that feature for them to talk between networks

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
sk8er_tor

[ Edited ]

Hi Knottyrope,

As mentioned above, I'm able to connect to my PlayBook without any problems. My Z10, however, will not connect.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
sk8er_tor

I decided to install a leaked OS on my Z10 over the weekend to see if it will help. I installed 10.1.0.1762 but I still can't connect :No:

I will reload my Z10 with my carrier OS now.

Anyone?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
derekflake
My Device: Blackberry Tablet 64 GB

I also have had this exact same problem since I got my Z10.  

My PC is connected by ethernet to my Bell Fibe (Black) modem/router.  My playbook connects fine for Wi-Fi file sharing, but the Z10 has never been read.

IF I run Blackberry Link, the Z10 device and drive will show up in windows explorer.  But I don't believe this is the way it's supposed to work.

Anyone else have any input on this?

Please use plain text.