Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
ahmed_mh1
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Zain -Kuwait

Access to BlackBerry World store of US while being outside US

Hi BlackBerry

I was wondering why the access to blackberry world is determined by which mobile carrier I'm currently using my phone with.

Correct me if I'm wrong, If someone from the US for expample is out of the US and is using a sim card from the local carrier in the country that he is currently living in, he cannot access the BlackBerry world of the US, instead, he will gain access to the BlackBerry World of the country which he is currently living in.

I think that Android also has the same concept with their users' ID's, which I see as very annoying compared to Apple, which gives you the opportunity to have your user profile linked to your country's AppStore by entering a valid address and a payment method relating to your country or issued from your country.

Apple also gives the opportunity to the user to choose (No Payment) option and enjoy using and downloading all free apps, which is a very good option, and is currently available on BlackBerry and Android as well.

I really Hope if BlackBerry can follow the same approach of Apple with while creating or editing the BlackBerry ID, in order to have the BlackBerry ID as "Country determined" and NOT to be as "Mobile Carrier determined" as the case is now. I hope also if you do so to keep the same flexibility (as now) of not obligating the user to enter a payment method while creating or editing a BlackBerry ID.

I think that if BlackBerry considers and implements this, it will give a big push to its users and the traffic flow on he BlackBerry World for downloading and buying apps, movies, music,...etc, as it allow for example US users US to access the BB world of US while being outside US for a trip or work. The same will apply for other users from any country around the wold.

So, I hope that BlackBerry will provide this flexibility as provided by Apple (and maybe a better one). Please consider this seriously and keep moving ahead.

Regards.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor (Retired)
ViciousFerret
My Device: Q10/Q5/Z10/9930/9860/9310

Re: Access to BlackBerry World store of US while being outside US

Hey ahmed_mh1,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

Thanks for the feedback.

Currently BlackBerry World will take the localization settings from the APN settings on your micro SIM card.

If this does change in the future, I would suggest checking for updates at www.blackberry.com/appworld

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Cheers.

-ViciousFerret

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Click  Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ahmed_mh1
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Zain -Kuwait

Re: Access to BlackBerry World store of US while being outside US

Hi ViciousFerret

Thanks for your reply.

I really hope and recommend that BlackBerry to change this mechanism in the future, and soon as possible, to have the access to blackberry world as "Country determined" depending on the living address (The same like what Apple is doing with its AppStore), and NOT as "Mobile Carrier  determined" as the case currently which depends on  localization settings of APN settings on the mobile carrier's SIM card. This will make life easier to most of BlackBerry users.

I really hope that BlackBerry listens to this and implement it as soon as possible.

Thanks a lot for your care.

Regards,

Please use plain text.