Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
reeko
My Carrier: Telus

ActiveSync issue

Hi,

I'm having an issue with activesync on the z10. We dont use Microsoft Exchange for Activesync, instead we use a mail server called "IMail Server", which also supports activesync. All of the iphone users are able to connect with no issues at all, and those with older blackberries running the activesync client "notifysync" are fine too.

When I try connecting it seems to go through and prompts me what i would like to sync, so I choose everything, but it only seems to sync the contacts. The e-mail and calendar never sync up. after about 20 or so minutes, I'll get a message in the blackberry hub regarding my work activsync account. The message says, "not connected - account invalid" and "your account is no longer synchronized with your device. check that your account settings are correct. if they are correct, contact your email service provider. "

can you please let me know how to fix this issue, if it all possible. I just dont understand why IPhones and the older blackberries will work, but not the new z10.  I can't seem to find a tech support number for blackberry (RIM), which is unfortunate....

Thanks.

-Reeko

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: ActiveSync issue

[ Edited ]

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

I cannot tell for sure...are you using the pure wizard configuration? Or are you using the Advanced Settings. If your are using the pure wizard, it may be getting incorrect settings back from the server as it attempts to automate the configuration process. Hence, using the advanced configuration screens (and selecting EAS) may allow you to input the correct necessary information (server, port, etc.) so as to properly configure it.

Older BBs worked totally different...they used BIS as the interface between the email server and the BB device. BB10 devices use ActiveSync and communicate directly between the device and the email server.

As for support, that has never provided by BlackBerry (there is no more RIM...and I'm also still getting used to it!!) directly to end users. All support has been, and continues to be, provided by the original place of purchase or authorized service center (for device-level issues) and the mobile service provider (for service level issues). From all I understand, the support model is not changing in light of BB10.

Lastly, it is possible that you have found a configuration that just won't work and needs to be addressed by BlackBerry. Even under BIS, there were email environments that just could not be integrated (OWA and ISA, as I recall). Over time, BlackBerry became aware of those and provided KBs that addressed how to get around it. You may have found such a configuration, but you will need to go through your formal support channel in order to report it and get it to the attention of the right folks at BlackBerry.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
reeko
My Carrier: Telus

Hi sdgardne!

Thank you for replying back. I'm adding our work account through the Advanced Settings, since I figured that it probably wasn't using the proper settings. I set it up with the way we have our IPhones setup along with our older Blackberries and it still wont sync up properly.

Ya unfortunately the older blackberries didn't have EAS natively and we were referred to use a program called Notifysync, you can find it here: http://www2.notifycorp.com/products/notifysync/overview - we were able to use this client for ActiveSync and it worked great! but knowing that the new BB10 would have EAS built in we were hoping that it would work just as great! but unfortunately it doesn't.

Oh I didnt know that, I find it strange that they wouldn't talk to end users. Who do you think would be my formal support channel to go through?

Are there any other tips you can offer me? I'm not sure what else to try.

Thanks.

-Reeko

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Ah...OK...already the Advanced screens...OK...again, it may be that you've found an incompatible email server configuration for one reason or another. It'll take real deep diagnosis and perhaps packet tracing to figure out why...your various admins may be able to do that on their end to see what they are receiving from the Z10 that they don't like.

reeko wrote:

Oh I didnt know that, I find it strange that they wouldn't talk to end users. 

It's the way it's always been. They use a distributed support model, one that puts the carriers and authorized resellers (and, in some regions, service centers) in charge of first level support to their specific user base (with escalation channels up to BlackBerry available if needed). On one level, it makes sense...put support closest to the customer as possible (no end users are customers of BlackBerry -- contractually, they are customers of the carriers). There are plenty of threads on this site debating the merits (and, in some opinions, de-merits!) of the support model...but that's all just academic IMHO. Everyone is bound (contractually) to the support model as it exists.

reeko wrote:

Who do you think would be my formal support channel to go through?

Either the place you obtained your Z10 from or perhaps your carrier (Telus, according to your profile here). Maybe even both. Whoever is willing to a) listen to your case and b) escalate it up to BlackBerry so that it can receive formal attention.

reeko wrote:

Are there any other tips you can offer me? I'm not sure what else to try. 

Nothing beyond what I've already provided...packet tracing by your network guru's might be the best option. Also be sure to have created a brand new account on the email side and try with that...just to be sure it's not some holdover from perhaps a more legacy email account. (Honestly, I'm just guessing...)

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.