Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
Ahito
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9700 / BlackBerry z10
Accepted Solution

Additional BlackBerry service from provider still needed???

Hi. There I aske my provider (T-Mobile Germany) if the additional BlackBerry service you had to rent for the "classic" smarphones like my Bold 9700 is still needed for the z10. The gal at the phone didn't know. :Eek:

Do you??? :Helpsmilie:

New Contributor
Ahito

Re: Additional BlackBerry service from provider still needed???

Found the following blogentry stating that the BlackBerry option won't be needed for the "usual" data trafic stuff:

http://berryme.de

Since I'm not using BES I'm toying with the idea of loosing the BlackBerry option if it's not needed anymore. :smileyfrustrated:

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Hello,

It is confirmed that BIS is not required for BB10. But, beyond that there remain many differences and things continue to change. The carriers must re-work their networks in order to continue to support legacy as well as BB10 devices, since they each work so differently. In that process, there have been many different reports.

Some report their carrier telling them they must keep BIS active on their Z10 until the carrier finishes their reconfiguration, at which time BIS can be dropped. Others report that they can get no services on their Z10 if BIS is at all active with their carrier for their device. Still others report services (both legacy as well as BB10) stopping, starting, stopping again, then starting again.

All in all, you need to talk to your specific carrier...they control what is required on their network as well as how their network is configured.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
Ahito

Thanks for the explanation. That corresponds with all I could find out. I think I'll stick with my carrier for starters and try to find the most suitable plan they offer. Thanks again.