Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
phbal
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Telus

All SMS messages gone with v 10.1.0.4181 Update

In deciding to download the latest software for my Z10, my first step was to backup my device using Blackberry Link.

With the Backup completed I downloaded the latest software update v10.1.0.4181.  The download completed fine and the device rebooted itself.  I checked to see that everything came back okay and of course it goes without saying that not everything came back okay!

All SMS messages were gone.  Poof...disappeared.  Also, all of my emails that were on my device were also gone, including all of the emails that have been sent from my device over the course of time.  While, I thought I would be thankful that I backed up my device just before downloading the latest update, I quickly found out that it didn't matter.  Using Blackberry Link I went through the "Restore" process, and restored everything (which was to include Application Data, Media, and Settings).  The restore process said it was successfully completed but alas none of my SMS messages or emails came back.

It looks like others have had similar issues and BB now has a knowledge base article with no resolution...however they do provide a "work around" which involves backing up and restoring...unfortunately that work around doesn't work.  

Anybody else lose their SMS messages and emails and try to restore from back up with or without success?  Surely Backup includes SMS messages and emails doesn't it?  Why can't Blackberry Device updates ever go the way they should?

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor (Retired)
hatchback
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 Smartphone

Re: All SMS messages gone with v 10.1.0.4181 Update

Hey phbal,

Welcome to the BlackBerry® Support Community Forums.

Was the update completed using the BlackBerry Link software or over the air? Do you have multiple backup files on your computer? 

Thanks.

-HB

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
phbal
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Thank you for your reply. I downloaded the update over the air. I do have multiple backups but all others are older and now dated. I only backed up once immediately prior to downloading the update. I only have one back up that is "current" and that is the one I restored.
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor (Retired)
hatchback
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 Smartphone

[ Edited ]

Hi,

This is a previously reported issue as outlined in this article http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB34819 to better assist you with this issue and to gather device event logs to determine the root cause, we would request that you contact your wireless service provider to have this issue escalated to BlackBerry Technical support for further trouble shooting.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you.

-HB

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.