Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
Emphasis
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: Vodafone

All emails marked as 'Read' even when not opened

I have recently upgraded from my BB Torch to the Z10 which I am generally really please with although I have a few issues.  The major one being that all my emails are being automatically marked as read after a few minutes of receiving them.  I have 6 email addresss set up and receive literally 100's of emails every day and it is causing me a huge problem.  I have contacted Vodafone but their advise is to reboot or delete email accounts and re add which I have done but hasnt made any difference.  PLEASE can anyone help??!!!

Please use plain text.
Administrator (Retired)
FozzieBear
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 smartphone

Re: All emails marked as 'Read' even when not opened

Hello Emphasis,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community.

What type of email accounts is this issue occurring with? (Ex: POP, IMAP, Gmail, Yahoo etc?)

Are each of these accounts on an active Microsoft Exchange Server?

Any additonal information your can provide regarding the issue would be helpful.

Thank you.

-FB

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click "Accept as a Solution" for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
sebstarr3
My Device: z10
My Carrier: rogers

I'm having the same problem.. my hotmail, gmail and from my own domain (which constitutes about 10 email addresses)
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Emphasis

Thanks FB,

It is POP email that is causing the problem - I dont have any other set up on my BB.  I dont think we have a Microsoft Exchange Server - I'm not sure though...sorry, I am not very good with these things!

An update on my previous post:  Normally out computers at work are left on all of the time with Outlook running.  Last night however, they were switched off and I noted that none of my emails being received on my BB were being marked as opened, even several hours after they arrived....hoorah!!  However, I returned to my office at lunchtime today after morning meetings and started up my PC and of course Outlook...what do you know; within a few minutes, all my emails are being marked as read on my BB again :smileymad:

This would suggest that this problem is linked to some setting in Outlook perhaps?  The problem does not occur they other way though.  If I open an email on my device, it doesnt show as open in Outlook (which is good incidenatally!).

Hope this information helps in someway.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
rat-7
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 + Z30 + Playbook 64
My Carrier: Rogers

No, it is just that when Outlook downloads the messages it automatically marks them as read 

---------------------------------------------
Using the Playbook and the Z10 and the Z30 and loving them

Martin
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
drewread
My Device: Z10

That is correct, Outlook marks them as read when it downloads the emails. I have noticed the same thing on my new ZED.

As far as I can tell there are 3 options.

1. Set Outlook to "Download headers only " which will leave them unread until you pull down the entire email. PITA if you ask me...

2. Switch to IMAP for all machines and enjoy full synchronisation between them. Trying this myself now.

3. Switch accounts on blackberry to POP accounts.

And maybe a 4th solution is to use outlook.com and link the accounts through that.
-: DrewRead :-
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
"Like it" if you like it. :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Emphasis

Thanks for the replies and advice.  I have tried all of these but it makes no difference.  What I think is really odd is that I never had this problem on my BB Torch.  It only started when I set up my new Z10....

Outlook doesn't communicate back to the server so it can't effectively tell the server that the email has been read as far as I'm aware.  It just leaves a copy of the message on the server so that it can be downloaded again to another device.  I may be totally wrong on this of course but that is how I understand the POP protocol from what I have read.

Just seems strange that the emails don't appear as read on my Z10 when Outlook is closed on my work computer.

This is driving me to distraction now!!!

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
drewread

Emphasis wrote:

Thanks for the replies and advice.  I have tried all of these but it makes no difference.  What I think is really odd is that I never had this problem on my BB Torch.  It only started when I set up my new Z10....

Outlook doesn't communicate back to the server so it can't effectively tell the server that the email has been read as far as I'm aware.  It just leaves a copy of the message on the server so that it can be downloaded again to another device.  I may be totally wrong on this of course but that is how I understand the POP protocol from what I have read.

Just seems strange that the emails don't appear as read on my Z10 when Outlook is closed on my work computer.

This is driving me to distraction now!!!

I understand your frustration, I had the same issues as well, and didn't notice this phenomenon on my Blackberry 950, Blackberry 957, Bold 8800, Bold 9000, Torch 9800 or Bold 9900. :smileyhappy: It seems that they were not downloading the message in the same way from the BIS that they are without it. :smileyhappy:

I also assumed that Outlook using POP3 did not have the ability to mark messages read, however, Outlook does mark the messages read on download. I believe that this is fact this is how Outlook keeps track of what messages it downloads.

As soon as Outlook downloads the entire message it marks it as read, that way the next time it connects is does not download the same message. If you set Outlook to download only the headers it will not mark the message read until you instruct it to download the full message, but this is a bit of a PITA way to use Outlook as I mentioned previously.

Have a read through this for more info on that.

When Outlook is closed it is NOT downloading any messages from the server, and therefore not marking any read. That is why you don't notice it happening when Outlook is closed. In fact this was part of my troubleshooting process when I was trying to figure this out a week ago. :smileyvery-happy:

I also trudged through the logs from my email servers trying to determine who else was reading my emails, but it was ONLYmy home office IP and my Z10 IPs that were in the logs.. so it was clear that it was one of those two.

In order to help you figure this out, what type of account is setup on the Z10 for these 'self marking read' email addresses - POP or IMAP?

I have 4 email address that I use for my personal and company accounts, I have switched Outlook to use IMAP for them all because of this issue, and my device(s) (Z10 and Playbook) and Outlook are now in total harmony. I actually wish I had done this a long time ago as it offers me full reconcilliation for the email states between devices. I don't have to re-read and re-delete a pile of crud off of my Outlook when I get home (sometimes from a few days away and 500-1000 new messages) anymore, they are all marked read, unread or flagged as necessary on all 3 machines at once.

It took a little while to get used to the fact that I have seperate PST files for these email accounts, but I am now kind of liking that they are all completely split.. it makes for much easier organization. :smileyhappy:

-: DrewRead :-
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
"Like it" if you like it. :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
alfios1978
My Carrier: Personal

Hi, I have the same problem.  Only occur whit my exchange account that I access using POP3.

When the email is received by the Z10, turn readed in the Outlook pc.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Kumara_Krishnan1210
My Device: curve 8520
My Carrier: BSNL

you might hava selected the mark all as read option

Please use plain text.