Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: Orange - EE

Am i using WIFI or my Data Plan?

Hi

I have the Blackberry Z10 and i have been made aware that the Z10 eats a lot of data and with me only having 250gb i think it would be suitable for me to use my Wifi where possible.

The problem is when i have the wifi on i am not sure if it is using the data plan or wifi? i can go into settings and turn off 'Mobile Network' and 'Data Services' however this is annoying to do each time and plus i won’t receive calls/txt messaging when doing this.

Without Wifi on my top right hand corner will have the signal bars, Blackberry logo and either 3G or H+. When my wifi is on,  then i see my wifi strength signal and  all the above mentioned apart from 3G/H+

Thank you in advance.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z-10
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Re: Am i using WIFI or my Data Plan?

Normally with Wifi enabled and connected you will use data only for carrier-specific data-required things (MMS specifically, which has to go over the carrier's network), which is why the data indications disappear.

If you send a picture message you should see the carrier data indication show up momentarily while it is transmitted, then it will turn back off.

Market Information? Come read The Market Ticker!
Contributor

Thanks for your reply.

So are you saying . . . . . if i have my 'Mobile Network' and 'Data Services' switched on as normal aswell as my wifi, then apart from MMS, then the wifi will get used for everything eles rather than my data?

Trusted Contributor

If Wifi is connected it should be used in preference, yes, except for things that MUST be routed over the mobile network such as MMS (carriers don't permit MMS to source from other than inside their own network because otherwise it would trivially easy to spam people with untraceable picture messages!)

Contributor

wow so all this time i was manually switching off 'Mobile Network' and 'Data Services' when there was no need when wifi was a preference.

I could not find a setting within the Z10 to make wifi a preference hence the reason for manually switching off the above.

Thanks. 

Forums Advisor III
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Do you have 250gb or mb? If you have 250gb...then you have about 230gb more available than you'll ever use. If you have 250mb then be cautious. Smiley Wink
-: DrewRead :-
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
"Like it" if you like it. Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2252; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

The device 'should' use wifi instead of mobile network. To be sure, it doesn't hurt to turn off the mobile network if you're concerned about it. Even Apple warns users that wifi connections can drop and then data is routed over carrier network, if available.

If you have a 250 MB plan you will need to be very cautious.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Forums Advisor III
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

I believe you are saying you have only 250mb of data in your plan.  It is recommended with any of these Smart Phones to have at least 1GB there is very little streaming of music and especially video.  I know some people with 500mb and they have gone slightly over at times.

To answer your question, from what I have been told the WiFi takes the priority before the mobile carrier for the data. If you want to know if the WiFi is connected you will see it on the top of your screen. If you go in to the WiFi utility inside of Network Connections you will be able to see which WiFi service you are connected to.

Jerry G.
Trusted Contributor

Yeah the danger would be if you got dropped off your Wifi connection without realizing it.....

Forums Advisor III
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

To be safe turn off mobile data. Smiley Happy
-: DrewRead :-
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
"Like it" if you like it. Smiley Happy