Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
ahmed_mh1
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Apps on BlackBerry World for BlackBerry Z10

Hi BlackBerry

I'm very impressed with the new BlackBerry Z10 device with its new features, display resolution, keyboard typing and gestures, but I have a big issue with the Apps on BlackBerry world. 

Still BlackBerry World is missing lots and lots of popular apps that are widely used and are currently available on Apple AppStore & Android Google Play. I know that you are working on it, and it is hard for now to compete with Apple & Android appstores, but at least there is a punch of apps that are mostly common worldwide, especailly the social networking and voip calling apps which have to be launched officially on BlackBerry world as soon as possible.

In addition, I'd like to draw your attention that the Facbook app (which is currently integrated with BB 10) is an older version of Facebook than the currently available one for Android & iOS devices (one big difference is that the current facebook app version for Android & iOS devices include the "Share" feature for my feeds and stories, while the facebook app on BB 10 still does not include that feature). I don't know about twitter and linkedin, as I didn't check yet, but at least pleasue ensure with their developers that those native integrated apps are updated to their latest versions to provide BlackBerry users the same experience that Android & iOS users are having.

Also, about apps, there are many apps developed by Google (like youtube, Google Maps & Navigation, Google +, Google Current ...etc) which are not yet available on BlackBerry world (The Youtube app on BB 10 is just a shortcut to the internet broweser and not a fullt fledged Youtube App). Having Google apps on BlackBerry world will also give a big push to the users base for BB 10 (especially the Google Maps & Navigation, which are ranked and considered the best mapping database and app worldwide). I know that Google have to develop such apps from their side (as the same for other developers), but I hope that BlackBerry should give this issue its ultimae priority, as I think that the major drawback (if I can name it so) for BB 10 to earn a significant market share worldwide is the absence of many popular and widely used apps on the BlackBerry World as compared with Apple App Store and Android Google Play. 

I know that BB 10 and its OS is just the begining, and that BlackBerry have more to provide to us from the apps side and other sides as well, so keep moving and hope to see the positive results soon.

Regards;

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
drewread
My Device: Z10

Re: Apps on BlackBerry World for BlackBerry Z10

[ Edited ]

It is not BlackBerry that develops most of the apps that are on the device, most are developed by other companies.. simply let them know that you want to have them get on board and join you on BB10. :smileyhappy:

Contact the companies / developer of the app that you are interested with the Twitter hash tag #GetWithBB10 to let them know you are interested in a version for #BB10, or simply visit their website and send them an email!

The more people that contact them the more likely you are to see an app in the near future!

You are using  V1.0 apps on your device now so give the developers a few months to get them filled out. :smileyhappy:

-: DrewRead :-
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
"Like it" if you like it. :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Contributor
ahmed_mh1

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it very much.

I know they are the developers who are developing those apps, and I was planning to do as what you advise, but I was just asking blackberry to do the same from their side to contact those major developers and get those apps up and running as soon as possible, especially that I think that BlackBerry 10 is selling well, and all those users will be hungry for having those apps OFFICIALLY on the BlackBerry World to have the ultimate experience with BlackBerry 10.

Thanks again for your reply, and I hope that blackberry is listening and is doing its part from the marketing side in line with the users doing their part by contacting developers.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mohamed_essam_87
My Device: Bold 9900 - 9790 - Playbook

U r totally right man, specially the calling apps which is essential for nowadays business.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ahmed_mh1

I don't know whether BlackBerry is doing the best from its part or not to convince developers to submit the most popular apps on both iOS and android to BlackBerry World or not (especially Google apps as well as Internet voice and video calling apps), but the progress on BlackBerry World in that regard is too slow and is very disappointing and not ad expected.

Even the built in Facebook app for BlackBerry Z10 is an outdated version compared to the mobile versions of Facebook app on both iOS and android. This Facebook app on BlackBerry Z10 is the same app that was on iOS and android from a long time ago. Facebook had currently posted many updates on its app on iOS and android to add many new features which are not yet included in the Facebook app for BlackBerry Z10. I don't know why BlackBerry Z10 Facebook app (at least) cannot be the same as the Facebook app on iOS and android. Also, still too many apps to be introduced on BlackBerry World to satisfy BlackBerry users.

I hope again that BlackBerry is listening and is actively acting on that, as the absence of important and popular apps is really disappointing.
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
drewread
My Device: Z10

Hi ahmed_mh1,

Blackberry has certainly put in a concerted effort to woo app developers of all types, big names and small alike. It by far the best effort that I have ever seen from them in this regard.. Unfortunately no matter the effort by them it will always come down to numbers for the big guys. If they aren't sure there will be a ROI on the investment of developing they won't put the resources into it.

This can be seen with the Facebook app you mentioned, it is a great example because it wasn't developed by Facebook... Blackberry ended up doing it for them. I'm sure that we have all noticed that Blackberry has been busy working on other areas of the phone, and that they have lots more work that we would all like to see done.

Would you rather have better notification granularity, or a better Facebook app? :smileywink:

If all of the million + z10 use re would all petition Facebook for a better FB built app, then we would have a much better chance of seeing the dream FB app that we desire.

Of course we all know about the rumours that FB wants to have their own phone.. so maybe conflict of interest has played into the game...?

#GetWithBB10!!! As Kevin O'Leary says.. it is the best!

-: DrewRead :-
Can't find an app on Blackberry World yet? Tweet the developer and ask when they will #GetWithBB10 !!
"Like it" if you like it. :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.