Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
dubbsix
My Device: z10
My Carrier: Verizon

Appworld and carrier install applications

Love the Z, but find it annoying that Carrier apps such as slacker are considered updates. If you delete them and check for updates they are redownloaded. What makes this worse in the case of slacker radio -- the carrier installed app is an older version AND a new version exists in app world... but wont update the carrier installed version.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Appworld and carrier install applications

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

With BlackBerry (and many others), the carriers have always had the right to push certain things to their users. With BB10, it turns out that deleting those (when you can) actually results in an OS "push" to you, with those things put right back. Historically, the resolution has always been to create a folder (I call mine "junk") and put all of those into it so that they are out of the way.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
dubbsix

Hey thanks and yea I ended up doing that, but I just didnt want more than one installation of an application. As of now, I have two instances of slacker installed. an older version VZW pushed and the one that was available from the market.  I would think that the app world.. sorry not "market" would just update the carrier installed version.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

It depends on what VZW pushed. The AW supplied version is generic for all carriers. If VZW created their own "branded" version, then the generic one cannot affect it as it's technically a totally separate app.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
dubbsix

yea but this is slacker radio. Its not branded specifically for verizon.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Well, I have no way to know what VZW did. All I can do is deduce based on what you've reported (since, for me, TMO did not push anything out...nor did ATT before I switched to TMO). And the only deduction I can come to is that, for whatever reason, AW is not recognizing what VZW pushed out as a prior version of Slacker to which it could apply an update.

Typically, AW can only act on apps that you obtain via AW. Since VZW pushed it out, it was not registered to AW as being already installed, and AW could not apply an update but instead could only deliver an entirely new installation.

Deeper than that, I have no idea...you'd have to find an AW developer who could shed light on it (which, of course, won't change anything either).

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.