Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
elizsil
My Device: Z 10

BB Z10 won't let me use an unusual or made up word

When I try to use an unusual or made up word my Z10 gives me a corrected version that sits over the space bar and won't let me advance the message.  Any ideas on how to put in the unusual word into the message easily?

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: BB Z10 won't let me use an unusual or made up word

hit back space until it changes back to what you want

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor
elizsil

Don't see how that helps--for instance, if I want to use the word "Starbucksing" the space bar changes to "Starbucks" as a suggestion. If I backspace on starbucksing and retype it the suggestions is still "starbucks"

Trusted Contributor
Simmo-
My Device: Z10 (STL 100-2) -10.1.0.4181

I think I encountered the same thing when I began to use the predictive keyboard. In my case the mispelt (or unusual) word would appear slightly above the 'corrected' - and coloured word on the space bar. I had to learn to swipe the uncommon word upwards from the corrected one. I hope this is all you are experiencing and that it helps.
Disclaimer:
I know a little about lots of things,
yet not a great lot about those little-things.
Ultimately, I'm here to learn.
New Contributor
elizsil

I tried swiping the odd word but it never goes into the text.  Perhaps you have to get your finger in some exact special position for it to work :smileyhappy:

Trusted Contributor
Simmo-

You have to suspend disbelief and actually swipe what appears to be the suggestion up.
Disclaimer:
New Contributor
elizsil

Sorry fo rbeing unclear--I use Swipe a lot and it works just fine, just not for that uncoventional word that is right above the suggested one, hence my comment on finger position.

Trusted Contributor
Simmo-

In any case, when you're entering text into an inbuilt function such as messaging and you do manage to enter "Starbucksing" ..it should appear underlined (in the text field). In which case you can touch on the word and one of your drop down options should be "Add to Dictionary" Eventually you will make the keyboard yours.
Disclaimer:
New Contributor
elizsil

FYI--Just spoke with a friend who also has a Z10 and she has the same problem.  The unusual word above the suggested one is not flickable. If you try to flick it it puts in the suggested word.  It's a design flaw, possibly because the desired word and the suggested word are too physically close on the keyboard (we are both female and neither of us has large hands).

Trusted Contributor
Simmo-

[ Edited ]

Myself, if I place my finger/thumb firmly onto the 'corrected' word shown in the space bar (when the desired word is showing above) and swipe it halfway up into the keyboard and it will insert the desired word into the text.

Do you have 'Use Learned Words' switched on? You can access this and a range of other settings via Settings / Language and Input / Automated Assistance.

Good luck, I believe it should work for you with some persistance. My point earlier about 'suspending disbelief' was a reference to how counterintuitive this action actually feels. :smileyhappy:

Edit: You can actually drag the suggested word quite slowly up into the centre of the keyboard and it will still work. 

'Flicking' can cause the occasional undesired result - (in my experience).

Disclaimer: