Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
My Device: Z10 • Z30 • PlayBook
My Carrier: 3 Network UK

BB10 (Blackberry Z10) stuttery / jerky scrolling

Hi. I just bought a Blackberry Z10. While I "like" the device, it kind of left me disappointed because scrolling is not consistently smooth and fluid throughout. The first time I noticed this was when I first turned on the device and the terms and conditions were displayed. Scrolling through these was not a nice experience - it was jerky and stuttery (instead of fluid and smooth). I was hoping this was caused by parts of the OS not being completely loaded, however...

I've also noticed this with the browser, which is extremely annoying. If you go to the mobile YouTube page and scroll rapidly (by "rapidly", I mean when you swipe quickly and then lift your finger/thumb - as you do when you're trying to quickly get to the bottom of a long page), everything works ok, it's quite smooth. However, click on one of the videos, and then repeat the rapid scroll gesture, and watch the page stutter (the scrolling is jerky, not fluid and smooth). This occurs even if the video is not playing. I've also noticed most pages with images exhibit the same stuttery/jerky scrolling behavious, whether rendered for mobile or desktop. It's particularly annoying because in this day and age, web browsing is one of the primary functions of a smartphone.

This non smooth jerky scrolling occurs is other areas on the platform. For example, when you click on SETTINGS, then NOTIFICATIONS, then scroll (or SETTINGS then Display, then scroll). It's terrible! It really lowers the end-user experience, something Blackberry should be very concerned about.

I understand this is a rather subjective issue, as things still "work" and it bothers some users more than others. However, in my humble opinion, these are serious issues because it negatively impacts on the end-user experience. The end-user may not be able to articulate what is causing displeasure, but it will result in a lousy end-user experience, which in turn will result in said user forming a negative opinion - not of the app in question, but of the platform/product as a whole. I'm so disappointed that I'm contemplating returning the handset. I find it disingenuous that all the marketing was promoting BB10's smoothness and fluidity, when in reality it's only parts of the system that are flawlessly smooth and fluid when scrolling (such as the hub, list containing messages, and Blackberry World).

I suspect the developers were rushed and resorted to implementing large parts of the platform using Adobe Flash (or something else that isn't GPU hardware accelerated).

I hope this post will be taken seriously as this is a serious user experience issue.

Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Re: BB10 (Blackberry Z10) stuttery / jerky scrolling

Have you tried to reboot your Z10? Mine isn't experiencing any jerky scrolling, so I'm not sure exactly why you're experiencing this issue, but hopefully rebooting the device will resolve the issue and you won't see it again.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Contributor

I just rebooted my Z10, the problem persists. As mentioned in my original post, it's very subjective. It's easy to dismiss by those not too discerning about pixel perfect scrolling.

When you say you don't experience any jerky scrolling - have you even tried going into SETTINGS and then DISPLAY and then scrolling? Can you honestly say it's smooth? Compare it to the scrolling in the Blackberry Hub.

I have compared this with another two other Z10 handsets - same results. Everyhthing within System Settings is awful - very choppy when scrolling. Scroll very slowly - you can see it - it's very jumpy.

Contributor

Krypto: I would also question how you have obtained a Blackberry Z10, as your profile says you're in Canada (and they haven't been released there yet).

Elite I

Hi Scott,

I was at the launch event yesterday and received one from BlackBerry there, so I've been playing with it since.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Contributor

Did you repeat the steps I mentioned post #3? Here's another area it occurs:

1. Go to add an email account.

2. Click on the "Advanced" button.

3. Click on Microsoft Exchange Active Sync.

4. Click somewhere on the screen so the on-screen keyboard disappears.

5. Scroll (fast or slow).

You can see it's very choppy and it actually painful to look at. I do not believe reseting the machine will magically make this problem disappear. I believe the problem exists because parts of the BB10 platform have been implemented using something other than C++/Qt/Cascades (something that isn't rendered using GPU acceleration - something like Adobe Air).

It results in a very "jolting" and "jarring" end-user experience, as in many places (like Blackberry World and the Blackberry Hub), scrolling is perfectly smooth (and pixel perfect).

Someone from the Blackberry development team needs to look at this.

Elite I

I'm not sure. When I keep my finger on the screen following the instructions you provided, it scrolls perfectly and in perfect unison with my finger placement. When I take my finger off the screen, it still scrolls, but slower (sure, it isn't as fast as it does with the browser or BlackBerry World, but its not something I'm noticing without really watching for it). Maybe I'm just missing it here, but I just don't see the same level of jarring you seem to be describing.

It could also be a product of page length. Shorter screens simply don't have the room to scroll fast, so they may have an algorithm that determines scroll speed depending on page length.

But try powering the device off and restart it. It certainly can't hurt to try. Alas, at this point, I just don't see something that seems that "wrong"... Maybe my tolerance levels for things like this are just higher, but it can't hurt to be sure.

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

hello,

I have done a battery pull.

I do not really scroll "like a madman" (let's call this "free scrolling" from now on), usually I scroll by letting my thumb on the screen so I did not notice anything until I came across the current discussion.

Here are my comments:
- free scrolling is perfect in the Messages app
- free scrolling is perfect in the browser app
- quality of scrolling is defined by both the smooth movement, and the "eye soothing".
- the scrolling in several settings screen have a smooth movement, but tiring for the eye. I think it is a matter of refresh rate or something.

My guess : I am pretty sure that those part of the OS were designed without using the Cascades tool.

My conclusion :
- I don't care, because except the first week, I rarely will go to those screens. I use a Z10 to use apps, not configure it Smiley Happy
- Besides, this can easily be fixed by a software update (I am not even sure that a hardware acceleration is required here).
- Finally, and also firstly, I was not shocked until I read your comment scottdeagan
- Note that I am still not shocked ; I really think that returning the Z10 because of that is a little excessive or extreme.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor

Xandrex: the scrolling quality has a direct bearing on the end-user experience. As mentioned in my first post, it's easy for users to form a negative opinion about a product from such issues (despite many engineers/technical people dismissing this as a minor issue).

In regards to how you scroll - that's super! However, you're suggesting a workaround - dictating how users should scroll to avoid janky/stuttery scrolling instead of allowing users to do what comes naturally.

You're also justifying the problem by saying a user only experiences it once - when they go into the settings to set up their Z10 handsets. You paint a picture in which the problem is minor because you didn't notice it until you came across this thread. This isn't entirely true. I experienced it again last night when I purchased a movie and a "terms addendum" was displayed. Scrolling through these was awful! It you set a precedent and culture where "near enough is good enough" for one part of the platform, it will creep into other parts (trust me - 30 years of software engineering and software architecture has taught me this! Do not compromise, you'll regret it). I find it astonishing that a company like Blackberry have risked rolling with a "near enough is good enough" approach for parts of the BB10 platform!!

In a not so publicly announced project, Intel reverse engineered the user-experience for the iPad. The conslusion was the iPad was so successful in the user-experience department due to two main points:

1. Smoothness (a consistent 60 frames per second).

2. Response time (60ms - 70ms compared to Android's 200ms).

If this issue (the stuttery scrolling) wasn't important, as you are implying, then why would Google initiate and devote resources on "Project Butter"? I can tell you why - because there was significant public demand for it (http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=6914). Android had become synonymous with "lag", so Google had to act. While BB10 is nowhere near as bad as Android in that regard, it's still a jarring user-experience to go from smooth to stutter to smooth (and as explained above, it doesn't just occur in the settings options).

I'm not a hater. Quite the contrary (despite suffering from a lack-luster experience with the Blackberry Playbook due to menus/the store being implemented in Adobe Air and being choppy/jittery). I was outside a Carphone Warehouse store at 9am to purchase a Z10. I'm posting this issue here because I want to see Blackberry make a comeback, but it's obvious not getting me anywhere (too many people claiming the problem doesn't exist or it's not really a big deal or that you're a "madman" if you scroll too quickly).

I will thank you, however, for writing this:

"Besides, this can easily be fixed by a software update"

Contributor

[ Edited ]

I forgot to ask you about this:

"I don't care, because except the first week, I rarely will go to those screens."

How long have you had the Z10 for? Obviously over a week already? It was only released yesterday.

And in regards to this:

"Note that I am still not shocked ; I really think that returning the Z10 because of that is a little excessive or extreme."

I find it extreme for any consumer to ignore and accept such an imperfection on a £480 device. Adobe Air needs to be buttery smooth, or completely removed from the core platform.

And as for the browser being smooth:

1. Open this page on the Z10.

2. Turn the Z10 so page is displayed in landscape mode.

3. Zoom in so that text can be read.

4. Scroll.