Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
geever
My Device: Z10
Accepted Solution

BB10 Music Player showing files that dont exist and cant be removed (possible metadata corruption)

Hello,

I put a bunch of mp3s in the sdcard/music directory and had them loaded up fine. I then edited the id3 tags in them and the music player picked up all the changes fine. After I noticed that 3 files were lurking without the changes made. I tried to play the songs in the music player and it says "The file can't be played due to an unexpected error. (1)."

I have removed all the music from my media card and in the music player all the songs have been removed except for these 3 files (which dont really exist since I have deleted everything). Again I try playing them but I receive the same error as above. It seems to me that the meta data has somehow been corrupted and needs to be reset.

Does anyone know how I can reset the cached metadata in the music player to get it back to a non-corrupt state?

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor (Retired)
ViciousFerret
My Device: Q10/Q5/Z10/9930/9860/9310

Re: BB10 Music Player showing files that dont exist and cant be removed (possible metadata corruption)

Hey geever,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

Thanks for the question.

If you remove the battery and place it back in, do these 3 files still exist?  

Also do these files appear if you try to view the media card contents on the computer?

I look forward to your reply.

Cheers.

-ViciousFerret

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Click  Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
geever

Re: BB10 Music Player showing files that dont exist and cant be removed (possible metadata corruption)

Hey vicious

I have tried restarting the OS but that has not helped. Also the files do not appear when viewing the mounted sd card drive on my computer. I have also viewed the directory in file manager on the OS and it does not show anything. Seems like some kind of meta data is being cached somewhere and it is not being cleared.
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor (Retired)
ViciousFerret
My Device: Q10/Q5/Z10/9930/9860/9310

Hi geever,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Did you attempt to remove the SD card and reinsert it?

Also try backing up the contents on the SD card to the computer and format the card and then check to see if the meta data clears.

I look forward to your reply.

Cheers.

-ViciousFerret

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Click  Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
geever

Yes removing the SD card shows no songs including the 3 corrupted ones. Which leads me to believe that there is some meta data stored somewhere on the card. Would you know this location? I will try poking around to find it. I am resistant to back up all the data and format because if im copying back the data to the card this will most likely contain the meta data as well. We need to find the correct location of this meta data and delete it to force the music app to regenerate it.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
geever

I have investigated a little more and determined there are no special files stored on the SD card. There must be some meta data on the phone which points to my SD card. Unfortunately, I cant really poke around there...

I am wondering if there is some sort of debug functionality or development code put there to reset the meta data....that is probably the only hope. Other thing I can probably do is recreate the data that the corrupted meta data is pointing to and hopefully remove the files properly....and ideas?
Please use plain text.
Contributor
geever

I am happy to report that this issue was resolved after applying the latest software update to 10.0.10.x

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
mando245
My Device: Z10, 9900, 9000 and PB

I had removed a music album using the PC mass storage file manager.
Now the album files do not appear on the PC file manager or the Z10 file manager
The files appear on the Z10's MUSIC APP directory as an album.
Clicking the album the following ERROR message appears:
"The file can't be played due to an unexpected error (1)" [click OK]

I have done:
> Battery pull
> Reformated the microSD card
> The album still appear as the only files on the MUSIC APP
> I reloaded the music by BBLink to the microSD card
> I assured the Z10 file manager does not have the album in the Music main memory.

There must be a master index.
I tried to find it using Ghost Commander but I can not find it.

Any ideas?

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
mando245
My Device: Z10, 9900, 9000 and PB

I should have said also:

The albums appear only on the MUSIC APP as a phantom album that has no content.

Also, when the microSD card is removed they still appear.

Somewhere on the Z10 internal memory there is a file that tells the MUSIC APP that the album is said to exist. 

I tried to use view hidden on the PC to view the Z10 file manager but I can not find what I am looking for too.  

Please use plain text.
markSV

[ Edited ]

I have updated to BB OS 10.0.10.82 on a Blackberry Z10 and this problem still persists as of today May 7, 2013.

I have two songs entries that I cannot delete. When I delete within Music App, nothing happens. When I try to play the song, the following error shows : The File can't be played due to an unexpected error. (1)

I cannot believe I am fighting with this. It is obvious there is a problem with the database the OS creates to cache pictures, names, file addresses, etc. PLEASE FIX THIS.

I have rebooted the phone, and nothing happens.

Is there a workaround to force drop the database so the OS rebuild the data and indexes???

Thank you.

UPDATE 1 hour later

The problem is there still, lol.

I have understood if I remove the SD card, the player does not show any file, if I insert it back, the player shows a message... reindexing library... and it appears back the same problem. This can be easily recreated if you turn on the option USB MASS STORAGE. It disconnect the SD from the phone to allow the USB protocol show your media on your PC, and if you unplug the USB or set this option to off, it is the same effect as enabling back the SDcard.

I have found this is a corrupt data within the SD card, not the phone. Somehow when the BB Link was trasferring the data, it showed something happened with a device being disconnected or not found (no device was actually disconnected or the USB unplugged) and after this, the problem began...

I believe this is an issue of BlackBerry Link Software or any component used by the BB Link with the Windows 8 OS.

Finally, I reformatted the SD Card, after this, no issue was found.

I have decided to abort using BB Link, and go back the old school that is enabling the BB Z10 USB connection as USB MASS STORAGE, and copy manually from iTunes library to the SD.

I did this, then unplugged the USB cord, opened the Music player App, wait till the Music App reindexed, everything was in its place.

I cannot say whether the BB Link software has issues writing data, or Windows 8 issue, both working together, I dont know. I am just avoiding this issue to happen again as it is extremely annoying coming from an flagship Blackberry Device to be fighting with this for a simple file uploading to a device. sigh

Let us hope RIM can find a better understanding about this issue in a near future.

Please use plain text.