Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
My Device: Z10

BB10 / Z10 review / missing features

[ Edited ]

So I got the Z10 a few days ago, and coming from iPhone 5, these are some of the things that I've noticed so far: (keep in mind that I'm not trying to compare BB10 to iOS, I'm simply comparing user friendly ideas)

• Saving pictures is a little bit pain in the **bleep**. First off when holding a finger on a picture. You get the small side column. Until you get used to what each icon on that does, you have to open it fully to see what's there.

You hit save picture, and then slowly it takes you to save link as. I realize that this option is for ppl who want to rename their pictures before saving them. I personally always leave whatever name as is.

Once you hit save, it takes you to another page, where in the middle it says "download complete" and stays on that page showing you all the pictures you've downloaded. That to me is a huge waste of time. I wanna hold a picture, hit save, and right away continue with my work. Without having to confirm (like are you sure you wanna save this kindda thing) or see my other saved files.

Also you can't save pictures from facebook app (my own profile pictures for example). But I'm guessing that's a facebook developing issue.

• I couldn't play .mp4 videos. Need I say more? I expect this device/OS to play everything, from MPEG, to avi.
  • I can't "select all" text in an email for example. I don't know if it's just me, but I tried googling it, I tried double clicking on an empty space, hold, etc. The whole select / copy and paste thing is a bit confusing at this point, and it's not as user friendly as I was expecting.
  • There's no actual YouTube app. When you click on YouTube, it opens it in a browser. Really? I guess we'll wait for an official YouTube app then.
  • I can't show the battery percentage. You have to navigate to Settings > About >  and change the top Category from General to Hardware, and scroll down to see my battery percentage. ARE YOU **bleep**ING KIDDING ME? I want an option that will show the percentage on the main screen right beside the battery PERMINANTLY. I'm not gonna go through all that to see how much battery I have left. That's pretty stupid.
  • NO PANORAMIC MODE in the camera. I thought since Android and Apple have this as a standard in their camera, Blackberry would like to keep up with the competition and include that. Yet, it is not there.
  • I don't mind that I have to go to the Hub to get to my email accounts. But I think it would've also been nice to have an actual Mail app that where I can get to all my email accounts.
  • I'm not quite sure why there's a section for Facebook and Twitter, etc. in the Hub. I know that's where you add these accounts from, but inside of them, you can only see the notifications, and post or tweet something. I can post and tweet perfectly from the Facebook and Twitter app perfectly, I don't need another section just for notifications when there's a SEPERATE NOTIFICATION section just above that. Seems pretty useless to me.
  • I haven't downloaded many apps yet, due to the fact that App World is pure garbage compared to the Apple and Android stores. I realize that this still a new device, and as more ppl switch to it, developers will start making apps. However, it's not like blackberry was completely dead over that last few years. They still had devices and tablets out there that use the App world, and you'd think they'd improve that before this one comes out. App world looks and has basically the same crappy apps since I left blackberry and got my first iPhone 3GS. Which was about 3 years ago.
  • Also, I'm hoping there's no limit as to how many apps you can place in a folder.

Over all I love this device, the size, the feel, the amazing keyboard that is about to yell at me and teach me how to spell is pure genius, and oh how I've missed the Personal Dictionary, and the amazing fact that you can add words that are underlined to the dictionary is absolute beauty.

This is what I've got so far. If there's a fix or if I've missed something or if any of what I've said above is wrong, please pardon me. I would love to know what you guys think. And I hope the developers can work on some of these issues for all of us.

Thanks,

Omar

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9810

Re: BB10 / Z10 review / missing features

You guys in Blackberry need to understand what your device is being used for.. 

I'm using Z10 and although a lot of the interface and applications are marvelous but you have taken few important yet simple features. 

You see, here we use our blackberry as our "shop" . The most useful thing about bbm that a lot of other chat apps do not have is that bbm group can post pictures and the caption is simply the name of the picture file. Simple! But not in Z10. Since it's so marvelous, you made what's simple became complicated!

Let me explain: So, in old BB I just need to save the file and share it in the group without writing (again) another caption, but here in Z10, I do (write a new caption).. Imagine if I have 15 pictures to upload in a group (since BBM also can not upload pictures to several groups at one time) .. I have to write the caption that explain the details of my items include the price etc, 15 times!!! And imagine if I have to upload them in 5 more groups!! In old bbm, I dont need to do that, coz the 15 pictures have already been saved with those details and all I need to is upload.. voila... (although I need to upload them in 5 more groups but still simpler) 

Another thing is Z10 is missing the "save as" feature or "rename" file feature. Rename is in "Remember" but does not change the file name. And Z10 thinks it's so smart, it just straight away put the picture in whatever default folder without giving me a chance to (again) save as to a different name or choose which folder to save to. Same with the picture's editing feature. Duuuh.....

Stop trying to be too smart.. Instead try to understand what the device is actually being used for besides just a cool smartphone. It's a basic product marketing isn't it??

Please have that features back (e.g., rename, save as etc.. ) in fact, dont change anything from what the old BBM can do and also the pictures apps (except that cool editing stuff) instead, make it better with for instance: 

- a picture can be added to several groups at once with the same captions

- several pictures can be deleted at once within a group to clear some storage

I dont see any other chat apps are doing that, so this is your change blackberry!

I'm writing this but I doubt that this is being noticed, but who knows..  And who knows, maybe it's me who didn;t know how or where to rename a file or save as.. I guess the new Z10 is just not that 'simple' 

Good luck for you, coz if you're not getting any 'simpler', I can assure you that no matter how many z in your Z10 or whatever upgraded 10 you have, it's not gonna save you....

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700

Nice things u pointed out!

Contributor
My Device: Z 10

Also what about the ability to generate my pin in a text mesage.  You can do it in a memo where it is essentially useless except to cut and paste since you cannot do it in a text ha ha. 

New Contributor
My Device: BBZ10

[ Edited ]
you know what? my old Samsung Galaxy Ace that I had laying around had more functions etc than the Z10 the store needs monitoring, like in another post, a qr code scanner that is free to download, but then charges you per week, not evident unless you look closely, wonder how many people that person is going to make/rip off the email app is a shock.... but... it isn't all bad, yes Android and Apple do a lot of things better, but BB do have some good apps and hopefully it will improve.... lets hope not at a snail pace
Contributor
My Device: Torch 9810

I just found more missing features mainly related to pictures and saving files

- I can not do a "save as" a picture or document from BBM by renaming it (dont know from other apps, but I read that it can not save also from facebook, so it seems it's BB problem not 3rd party problem... *no surprise). It can only be saved if I leave the file name as is. When I tried to change the file name, the photo can not be opened, not to mention took me awhile to find out where the file was saved :smileyfrustrated:

- autotext feature SUCKS big time. Previous BB I can type a next paragraph after, but this one, can not. All in one line! PLUS, it does not give the option to change only with the predetermined autotext. It tried to act 'smart' with also 'corrects' with words that I did not set in the autotext. Tried to change the setting to "off" it still does the same

- Major annoyance is basically where those documents/pictures are being saved to. It said that the blackberry link simplify things, it doesnt!! It confuses big time! It's easier to have the BB plug to my computer and gives me the option to either use it as a USB or charge or sync.... :smileymad:

The only good thing is the cool & responsive interface, fast web browse and for BBM, is how I can end several chats at once. But then, it's ruined by changing a lot of existing & useful features from the old BB.. Seriously guys in Blackberry.. Have you guys not done any research or focus group?  Or maybe you guys don't even use blackberry.. You have no idea how this phone can be used besides only for emailing & browsing!

Unfortunately, I already bought Z10. I do love it, but the missing features are extremely dissapointing.. I'm stuck with it though , coz I need it for my business.. :smileysad:

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700

Would you recommend this over the Iphone 5?
New Contributor
My Device: BBZ10

depends on what you need from a mobile really, but in general.... no
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10

I disagree I used to be a Iphone 4S user and apart from lack of apps , I would recommend this over Iphone 5 or even a android phone(lacks security, soooo open a hacker can walk right in). 

New Contributor
My Device: Z10

You pretty thoroughly summed up exactly how my wife is using her Blackberry.  She has gone back to her 9700 for the picture sharing now because of the time it takes to do this on the Z10.  Also, those are good feature suggestions as well.  Hopefully Blackberry reads the forums even though they don't appear to post on them.  Blackberry is very popular in Asia still and a lot of that has to do with the online shops through BBM.