Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

on29thjun
My Device: z10

BBz10 Unlcoking issues with ATT

I had bought my new BB z10 at an AT&T store for an outright purchase after confirming that the phone shall be UNLOCKED by calling AT&T customer support after 24 hours of purchase. When called after 24 hours I am told by the support representative that this phone cannot be unlocked due to an agreement between AT&T and BB. This is an exclusive phone for AT&T.

I am Cheated!

I would request someone to confirm if my phone can be unlocked (Purchased Outright) or should I go for a return policy?

Trusted Contributor
tickerguy
My Device: Z-10

Re: BBz10 Unlcoking issues with ATT

Return it.  They're simply refusing to do it and lying to you.

I bought mine from T-Mobile at full price and immediately requested an unlock code -- and had it within 24 hours.

Market Information? Come read The Market Ticker!
on29thjun
My Device: z10

When was the last time you tried checking with ATT Customer service?

Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

read the fine prints or your ATT contract. ATT is forced to provide a way to unlock your phone, even if it is expensive.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Regular Contributor
Fred98tj
My Device: Z10

I bought, outright, a Z10 from AT&T and customer service told me that they would unlock it after 90 days. If you're in the US call 1-800-331-0500.

Fred

Guru I
Xandrex

again, read the fine prints. The 90-days delay is if you want a free/cheap unlock from ATT.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Regular Contributor
Fred98tj

Yes, true. You can get it unlocked yourself.

Here in the US, however, it's illegal to unlock a phone that's on contract, because, until the contract is up, the phone is not owned by the person, it's owned by the carrier until it's paid for. However, that has never stopped my in the past from unlocking a phone myself (that was on contract, my Z10 is not) and no one has ever said anything. I travel to asia a lot and just use a SIM card there when I go. MUCH cheaper than using internation data/roaming from AT&T for instance. In my case there was not even a signal that I could get when I traveled the first time and used the internation data/roaming from AT&T. Switched to a local sarrie SIM and, bingo, no problems anymore and, it my case, only $5.00 per week for unlimited everything :smileyhappy:

Fred

Guru I
Xandrex

so I have looket at the terms & conditions for an ATT subscriber, for mobile phone services.

it's here:

http://www.att.com/shop/en/legalterms.html?toskey=wirelessCustomerAgreement

the relevant section is section 3 "TERMS RELATING TO YOUR DEVICE AND CONTENT", specifically subsection 3.1:

I quote:

3.1   Your Device

Your Device must be compatible with, and not interfere with, our Services and must comply with all applicable laws, rules, and regulations. We may periodically program your Device remotely with system settings for roaming service, to direct your Device to use network services most appropriate for your typical usage, and other features that cannot be changed manually.

You agree that you won’t make any modifications to your Equipment or its programming to enable the Equipment to operate on any other system. AT&T may, at its sole and absolute discretion, modify the programming to enable the operation of the Equipment on other systems.

If you bought a Device from AT&T, it may have been programmed with a SIM lock which will prevent it from operating with other compatible wireless telephone carriers’ services. If you wish to use this Device with the service of another wireless telephone carrier, you must enter a numeric Unlock Code to unlock the phone. AT&T will provide the Unlock Code upon request, provided that you meet certain criteria including, but not limited to the following:

(a) your account has been active for at least sixty days and is in good standing (i.e. it has no past due amount or unpaid balance owed AT&T);

(b) you have fulfilled your Service Commitment by expiration of any contractual term, upgrading to a new Device under AT&T’s standard or early upgrade policies, or payment of any applicable ETF;

(c) your Device has not been reported lost or stolen;

and (d) AT&T has the Unlock Code or can reasonably obtain it from the manufacturer. AT&T will unlock a maximum of five phones per account, per year.

For Devices sold with a Prepaid Plan, AT&T will provide you with the Unlock Code upon request if you provide a detailed receipt or other proof of purchase of the phone and AT&T has the Unlock Code or can reasonably obtain it from the manufacturer. For further details on eligibility requirements and for assistance on obtaining the Unlock Code for your handset, please call 1-800-331-0500 or visit an AT&T company store.

what I understand is that:

• after 60 days, if you don't owe money to ATT, upon request, ATT will unlock your phone for free.
  • it is easier if your plan is a prepaid one

That being said, generally speaking:

• provided you have the cash available (=less than 700USD), buying an unlocked phone will always be 30% cheaper than buying a locked phone (even with a 36 months contract), with a phone-less SIM card.
  • some other carriers do not require that 60-day delay

Trusted Contributor
tickerguy
My Device: Z-10

Yeah, T-Mobile will unlock any phone you pay for in full immediately.  I had the unlock code for my Zed within 48 hours of purchase.

Market Information? Come read The Market Ticker!
Regular Contributor
Fred98tj

Note:

(b) you have fulfilled your Service Commitment by expiration of any contractual term, upgrading to a new Device under AT&T’s standard or early upgrade policies, or payment of any applicable ETF;

So if you got the phone on a 2 year contract, then they will not unlock the phone until that contract has expired.

FWIW, I paid a *lot* less than $700.00 for my Z10, as a outright buy, through my local AT&T store, I mean less than 1/2 that price :smileyhappy:

Fred