Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
Rberry69
My Device: Z10 and Playbook

Backup won't complete

Backup worked fine when I first set up my phone but now it starts but comes up with a "backup did not complete" message after a few minutes. It does seem to sync the media however.

I have tried rebooting, pulling the battery, different usb cables, different computers and airplane mode.

Please help!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
junny89
My Device: bb z10

Re: Backup won't complete

hi,

i have the same issue.
my pictures app doesnt open which is a pain after the software update.
so i tried to back my phone up but it wont let me.

however if you can connect to your computer and open link up, got to settings in your device, underneath back up weekly yu can choose what you want to back up...media, apps and settings.

i had to go through each one individually to back up. turns out i had a issue with my applications. so i could not back up apps.

other areas were backed up. and did a system restore and started from scratch.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Rberry69

That worked, but what do I lose if I restore without my application data backed up? If it is just the applications themselves, I guess I will bite the bullet and reinstall, but it would be nice to know what is causing the problem so that I can avoid doing it in the future.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
junny89

Well if you wait a few hours I am currently in the process of doing just that with out apps data.

Once its wiped u enter bb IDand then go to app world and the apps should be in the available section.

As far as I can tell its a issue with a app I downloaded and its curupted after the download of the update. However as you are re insralling everything from scratch (as soon as I did factory restore and wipe, I'm downloading the update so phone is brand new and fresh for install) and then install apps again from fresh theoretically everything should work fine.

I guess you also have a app that's corupted. You could delete apps one by one as I did since the update but nothing. Maybe its a bb app that's corupted. In my case pictures.

I'm in and out of work and the update is over wifi so give me a few hours and I shall get back to you.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
caribbeansun
My Device: Z10, Playbook

Any chance you have the President Choice recipe box app installed?

If so delete from the device and retry your backup.  It was causing mine and other users issues with backups.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
junny89

Hi, no I haven't.

I have way too many app installed to delete 1 by 1 so I did delete oned since after my bak up and no luck. Which was only a few so I left it n just did a restore.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Rberry69

No I don't have that app... Is there any others that I should watch out for?

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700

[ Edited ]

If you are on a PC using Windows OS try this:

Go to the Properties of the Computer. Go to Device Manager. Go to the Universal Serial Bus Controlers. Open each of the USB Root Hub. Go to the Power Management. In Power Managment remove the check mark at Allow The Computer To Turn Off This Device To Save Power. This must be done for each of the Root Hubs. Most home computers will have two Root Hubs. More elaborate computers will have more.

What I have seen is with very large files transfers the USB Root Hubs can be timed out (go to sleep mode). This is because of how the data is interacting with the system. The Link software is working okay, but the OS is not sensing the activity on the port, and thus the port is put to sleep. This can happen where software is doing direct interaction via the hardware. If the data flow stops for any reason the Link software will display an error message indicating that it can no longer transfer the data. I have seen this with other types of sofware and devices.

With one of our PC's I was doing an OS re-install on a phone. It stopped right in the middle. The phone was now bricked!  I found the issue was with what I described above. I managed to get the phone going again, but it was a more complicated ordeal because of this.

Jerry G.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
junny89

Hi,

Thabk you, shall give it a go. However I can still do some back ups like media and settings.

Funny enough when I do a full back up it stop at 17% each time and says : can not create full back up. This can be due to link not connecting with you phone please try again.

So frustating. Hope this re install works.
P.s. My picture app now works. Just need to reinstall my apps and other partial back ups and fingures crossed all works :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
rat-7
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 + Z30 + Playbook 64

IMG_00000043.jpg

This is what I get when ever I try to make a backup, some BlackBerry Technical Advisor was suppose to be looking into this a few weeks ago but I never heard any thing back from them since (then again I am not really expecting them to be of any use to begin with), I am more looking forward to get help from the community than those "technical advisor"

---------------------------------------------
Using the Playbook and the Z10 and the Z30 and loving them

Martin
Please use plain text.