Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Trusted Contributor
ItaEst
My Device: BB Z10
Accepted Solution

Battery drained while charging overnight

Interesting to note, I just received my Z10 a few days ago, and have been using my old BB Bold charger to re-charge my Z10 at night. It has worked the past several days, but this morning I woke up and my battery had drained to zero charge despite being plugged in to the charger. I am seeing periodic reports of this occuring... if anyone has suggestions, please comment! I was able to plug it back in this morning and its currently charging, but I am unsure as to why it would have discharged the battery completely while plugged in. I am with Verizon and have the latest Verizon issued OS: 10.0.9.422
JSanders
Solutions: 5,988
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Battery drained while charging overnight

Your old Bold charger does not charge optimum power needed on the Z10. the old charger may provide a lower power trickle charge.

Use the OEM charger.

Article ID: KB33636 BlackBerry 10 smartphone does not charge when plugged into a wall charger

Article ID: KB33669 How to maximize battery life on the BlackBerry 10 smartphone

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Trusted Contributor
ItaEst
My Device: BB Z10

Hi JSanders....good to see you are still around dispensing invaluable tips. Thanks for the posts...looks like I am going to have to make sure that I have a OEM wall charger around. Time to toss all the old micro USB chargers in the recycling....
JSanders

Well, I stuck mine in a bag. Give them to one of those outfits who send cell phone to soldiers or something.

Amazon has some great buys on OEM chargers, look at the 1.8 premium folding blade charger  $10

http://www.amazon.com/Blackberry-Folding-Blade-Charger-Playbook/dp/B004OZMWUS

For the auto:

http://www.amazon.com/ACC-48181-301-Blackberry-Premium-In-Vehicle-MicroUSB/dp/B0089QK4NK/ref=pd_sim_...

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700

For best charging, it is best to have all the apps closed. Some will use more power and consume some of the charging energy.

When inserting the charger connector make sure it is inserted properly. Also check for the flashing lightning animation to be showing in the battery symbol on the upper left of the screen. After about 10 seconds if there is no flashing, remove the connector and re-insert it. About one time out of maybe ten, the phone's battery management system may not properly activate the charge mode.

Jerry G.
Regular Contributor
fschutrumpf
My Device: Blackberry Z10

I have the same problem with the OEM charger.  The Z10 doesn't have an external light to indicate the charger is plugged in properly, and the icon does take some squinting. Further, by having to use the phone to squint at the icon, it can dislodget the charging cord sightly to where it is not charging.  This is an overuse issue: my 2 month old Z10 gets plugged in whenever I'm near a power source to prevent it from going dead before 11 am (it's always dead by 5 or 6pm) so it gets plugged in about 20 times a day.  That's 60 * 20 = 1200 plugins vs. my old 9700 that I charged every night and got 1.5 days of battery life (i.e. 3 yrs of that phone was less than 1000 plugins....

I think you may also be experiencing hardware challenges like I am.

JSanders

fschutrumpf, that's not good. I'd recommend only charging or topping off your battery when you can charge for 15 mins or more. Cut down on the number of times you top off.

Also, get one of the free or paid battery monitor apps in AppWorld to run and then you can easily see the charger is connected and charging.

Finally, on your #Z10, what is the OS version at your Settings > About?

Knowledge Base Updates