Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Re: Battery life problem

While BlackBerry monitors these forums they do not usually actively provide support here. It's a peer-to-peer community support forum. You should have seen this info when you registered.

That said, I've been told that the device spends extra resources during the first week or two scanning emails etc., to adapt to your typing and word usage. This is how it gets so good at determining what you're going to type. This does require extra battery resources. Give it some time and it should settle down.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Dandetri
My Device: Z10

I have my Z10 for 3 days nows. First day, I put the battery in, let the device die by itself after a few hours. Then charged it. It took 27 hours for the battery to die the second time. 

Always leave a battery to empty itself a few times when you have a new battery (no matter what technology). 

I charged it a second time, then it took 31 hours to empty itself. 

Normaly busy day, mostly emails, social networks, hundreds of replys, messages, comments per day, a few phone calls. 

I never had more than 18 hours at first with my Torch. For an extremely busy day, it could last 12 hours. 

So far, I have more battery life with my Z10 than my Torch. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mfarmilo
My Device: Curve 8520

Dandetri wrote:
Always leave a battery to empty itself a few times when you have a new battery (no matter what technology). 

Usual advice with Lithium batteries is to never allow them to run right down ....

Please use plain text.
Contributor
lou2969
My Device: BB Z10

I will give a shot to the

total emty battery trick

thanks

Please use plain text.
Contributor
stony68666
My Device: Blackberry9780

You are totally right about letting the battery empty itself.  I believe the phone has a shut off point that activates when the battery gets down to about 15% of battery life left.    And yes do cycle it this way for at least three times to get the most out of your battery.  

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
andrew21212
My Device: Z10 (returned) ** Torch and now my first non BB product a Samsung Note II so I can sync my Outlook,Notes,ToDo list,Categories,I am loving it !! I never knew a phone could do so much !!! hurry up RIM

lou2969 wrote:
Hi all
my phone charging time is about 2 1/2 hours
I unplugged this morning at 8:00 am
and the whole day I had
5 phone calls
20 emails
11 BBM
4 TXT
now is about 9:30 Pm
and the phone is almost dead
how can we extend the life of this beautiful machine??

I had a similar performance.    I get about 12 hrs , that was with one phone call and some button pushing throuout the day learning the Z10.

I have downloaded 3 apps now,  I can see the battery life getting very short especially after a year of use.

One of the apps I was playing with was "Say It"  I really am looking for something that can compete with my new Samsung S-Voice for functionality.  The app is ok but the phone got really hot after about a dozen questions and half the battery charge was gone...

I see a second battery in my life.    

This kind of thing was expected , at least for me ,

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. - Thomas Edison.
Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Regardless of what's been posted here it is NOT recommended to let the battery drain completely. Li-ion batteries should not be drained like that. You will considerably shorten their life. Try not lo let it go below about 15%.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
andrew21212
My Device: Z10 (returned) ** Torch and now my first non BB product a Samsung Note II so I can sync my Outlook,Notes,ToDo list,Categories,I am loving it !! I never knew a phone could do so much !!! hurry up RIM

[ Edited ]

Hello John,

Thank you for the heads up.   I am well aware of the draining point for L-ion  batteries but I did not realize that the phones did not have that safety of 15 % level shut down built into them like Laptops do.

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. - Thomas Edison.
Please use plain text.
Developer
superdirt
My Device: Not Specified

The battery life is usually 8-9 hours of constant use. If you are streaming media constantly battery life can be as low is 5 hours.

These numbers are expected considering the Z10's specs. Previous BlackBerry phones didn't operate on magic - they had good battery life because the slower hardware and low screen resolutions demanded much less battery. BlackBerry phones prior to the Z10 had a single core, lower screen resolution and lower clock speed. 

To improve battery life of your Z10, turn off radios if you know you don't need them (WiFi, NFC, Bluetooth). This will give a good increase in battery life. You can also use a second battery because the Z10 gives the option to swap batteries. It's a little cumbersome to keep an extra battery but this is a actually a great feature considering you can find phone batteries for under $50.

Scott

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
andrew21212

Battery Swap and removeable memory are just 2 of the many reasons that played a role in not buying that other brand...  

Please use plain text.