If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
bhaayer
My Device: z10 stl100-3
My Carrier: bell

Re: Battery life problem

Why is there such a difference in the problems with the battery life for the Z10? I have been surfing forums trying to understand why my Z10 battery dies in 5hrs and have seen the same discussin in several forums. Some owner claim that the get 9,10 ,11 or more time from a single charge then there are people like me who only get about 5. I wish I was one of the ones who dosn't need to charge their phone constantly to get through the day but I'm not, and I am frustrated with the lack of answers just people saying its a touch screen smart phone and just live with it. I am willing to buy a second battery and charge both ever night to get me through the day as I love this phone and am not willing to use anything else. That being said I remain frustrated as others are not having this problem, I have tried all suggestions and have had my phone for 5 days and have seen no change in battery performance. For the sake of redundancy I will state that I keep BT off , WI-Off,screen down to about 20%, times off at 30 seconds, turned off gps tracking where I can, charge to phone fully (powered on and off), I use the phone light to moderate. Should I be returning the phone and ask for a new one as I believe it is defective or is it the battery? Should I provide BB with my Visa # so they can diagnose the problem and hopefully get my money back for the charges? Or just live with it and get a second battery? Some help would be appreciated especially from the ones who I paid over $600 to for this device.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.2.1.3247; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: at&t

Why don't you get on the phone with Bell and see if they will get you through to BlackBerry support. That service should cost you nothing. You just often have to press the carriers to do it for you. That is the proper support channel.

That said, I have seen my battery life steadily improve since I got it. I don't use LTE, though.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
andrew21212
My Device: Z10 (returned) ** Torch and now my first non BB product a Samsung Note II so I can sync my Outlook,Notes,ToDo list,Categories,I am loving it !! I never knew a phone could do so much !!! hurry up RIM

That is not normal. Get it checked out

I can kill my battery in 5 hrs ( have not tried but based on the drain speed) using a 3rd party Voice app that was hard on resources.

I have my

1. Bluetooth on with an earpiece,
  2. wifi on,
  3. GPS on and
  4. 10 email address recieving about 200 emails and
  5. maybe about 1 hr of talk time
  6. Not to mention fumbling with the phone all day getting to know it

I get about 9-12 hrs.    This is shorter than my torch but this phone is definitley more high performance and I like the trade off.  I have had the phone a week. 

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. - Thomas Edison.
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
taylor-tomt
My Device: Z10, Playbook

Here is what I got yesterday:

Full charge at 11am.

WIFI connected, Bluetooth on (connected to PB)

Several BBMs, Text msgs, Emails etc.

No phone calls

Played for about an hour with hotspot which drains power pretty good.

Downloaded an app.

Briefly left WIFI and onto 4G network (30 minutes). Activated maps during this for about 5 min.

Set to night mode at about 10pm

Up at about 6am

Left WIFI connection, onto LTE network

Bluetooth connected to car

several messages (BBM,txt, email)

Battery showed 0% at about 10am (phone still running, but I shut it off)

So about 23 hours.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
stony68666
My Device: Blackberry9780
My Carrier: Telus

Sounds like a winner but don't let it run down any further than when the battery icon turns red.  That's an indication it is at approx. 30% left.   Good time to start charging it up again.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
bhaayer
My Device: z10 stl100-3
My Carrier: bell

Bell has deem my phone DOA, Will be returning it aas soon as the store gets more stock. Glad to hear this was not the norm for this phone, I was in disbelief that they would release something so unusable. All of my previous BB devices had great batttery life and hope my new one is as good as posted by others. Thanks
Please use plain text.
Contributor
shinrai
My Device: Z 10
My Carrier: telus

I encountered the same thing and swapped out 2 phones.  The only reason I did this and did not wait until the battery settled down is that they had some other minor bugs with text messaging and touch screen response.  The third one I had displayed what seemed to be a poor battery life but the second charge has already yielded 11 hours with 25% battery life left.  I would consider asking for a replacement if there are any other problems or the battery issue is not improving.  Any new product will have bugs and hopefully your provider will be as understanding of that as telus was.  This device is awesome.....btw

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mcjean
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: Rogers

I wish I could get your time. I get about 6 hours before dead and that's with no apps, no phone calls and maybe two or three texts. Not happy.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
mcjean
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: Rogers

sounds like you're having the same problem I am.  I work with two individuals who also have these phones and they do NOT have battery drain issues.  One of them is our IT person and she has LOTS running.  I don't like inconsistencies and I really don't like being told that it's just the "nature of the beast".  If that's true, then everyone would be saying the same thing.  Let me know if you've found any answers.

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Developer
superdirt
My Device: Not Specified

OS version 10.0.10 is rolling out across carriers right now. Users are reporting that this update brings big improvements in battery life (I don't know how much you should expect).
Please use plain text.