Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
romariardo
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: O2

Battery life

Hi all,

I've picked the new Z10 last Thursday on the UK's launch day. Absolutely love the device and I am happy that I didn't switched from my older BB, but I was wondering if someone could help me with the battery drain issue.

I understand that the new Z10 is a powerful smartphone and so is its battery consumption. However, I am pretty sure that the battery drain of 10-15% per hour is abnormal, especially since I use it rather sparingly, have NFC and all other connections switched off, have brightness set at the minimum level, screen locks in 30 seconds andI  try to keep it on WiFi for most of the day.

Hence, I can think of three possible issues: 1) something wrong with the battery; 2) something wrong with the phone itself; 3) O2 connection is poor for some reason and it "kills" the battery

I would appreciate if someone could share some tips / tricks or any other solutions to how this problem might be solved.

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
borsodi
My Device: Z10 - Playbook - torch 9810
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Battery life

I picked up my phone

charged all night, phone on at 730am died at 930am

charged till 500pm, dead at 9pm never used it once

went and got a new battery , same thing

phone is getting really hot on the back,,, 

I am getting really frustrated with it

Please use plain text.
Contributor
deviance
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: Three UK

My advice would be to time it exactly and if its anything less than say around 10 hours with sparing usage then take it back to where you bought it and just have them give you another one (assuming you're under warranty).

~d.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
NJZ10
My Carrier: AT&T

What type of mobile carrier connection do you have (3G, 4G, LTE)?  I've read that LTE, while very fast, kills the battery.  Certainly kills mine!

I've become accustomed to plugging it in whenever I can.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
borsodi

I just turned off the 4LTE and back on H+ or 3G

They just brought me a new unit, so we will see what happens,, very frustrating for a new phone

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mfarmilo
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: Orange

Mine also needs charging after just 7-8 hours, with very little real use. Also gets very hot at the back, like yours. Getting very frustrated with the number of things that seem not right.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
borsodi

I will report back tomorrow after I'm fully charged with the new phone

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
cchow

I am at 12 hours with average(?) use. 2 or 3 calls, 30 texts. A days worth of emails.

On LTE network. No issues with heat on the back.

I adjusted my brightness and turned off the "Ad based" and "traffic based" location services in the hopes that it will save battery power.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
deviance
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: Three UK

That's sounds the same as mine. :-)

~d.
Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1052; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: at&t

The device does a lot of scanning in the background of your emails for the first week or two. this is to adapt the keyboard to your own use. I'm hearing that this affects the battery life and will improve over time.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.