Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Regular Contributor
Copes
My Device: Blackberry Z10

Re: Battery life

[ Edited ]

I'm on my second phone. The first one wouldn't last more than four hours despite the level of usage. I watched it, it very consistantly drained at a pace of about 10% every 20-25 minutes. I charged my first phone overnight, went into a meeting (where my phone sat idle on my desk) first thing yesterday morning, and came out of the meeting an hour and fourty-five minutes later with my phone at 55%. Completely unacceptable, I drove to Telus and replaced it.

The new phone doesn't seem much better, which is incredibly discouraging. I let the battery completely drain after picking it up yesterday, and then charged it to 100%. I went out last night to watch the UFC fights, and unplugged the phone at 6:00. By 1:00am I was asking my friends to borrow a Berry charger, despite only using the phone for the odd text or BBM message. While this is an improvement from my first phone, it is still not good enough. I need to be able to get at least 12 hours.

I'm going to see how it goes today. Has anyone called Blackberry IT? Have they acknowledged the frequent problems with these batteries? Am I going to have to get a 3rd phone?

As a note, with both phones I dimmed brightness to the lowest possible, turned off 4G, Bluetooth and NFC. In all reality, this is a smartphone... I should be able to use those things during the day.

Contributor
jagibson
My Device: Z10

I got the Z10 on Feb 6th. I get 16-18 hours on heavy use and 24+ on a moderate use day. I did buy a spare battery kitt as I am often away and unable to charge the phone at all for a day or so, nad i'm a "just in case" kinda girl. I charged my spare battery, pu it in yesterday morning at 9 am and I am at 40% 26 hours later, yesterday was a moderate use day.

So thats 2 Z10 batteries without any issue, they get better use time than my Torch did for sure. I have also had zero problems with freezing or any other issues.

My screen is set to 20% (I hate a really bright screen, its hard on the eyes), blue tooth, roaming and wifi off, I'm running LTE with full data and mobile. I use social media apps, video, camera, email and dozens of texts and bbms.

Regular Contributor
Copes

Did you get 16-18 hours of heavey use on February 6th, or has the battery improved over time?

Contributor
jagibson

Its probably improved over time with a couple of complete drains and full recharges but it was never bad to begin with. My daughter also has the Z10 for 2 weeks and she also gets good battery life out of hers. I know a few people who picked up the phone and none of us have  issues or any sort.

Regular Contributor
Copes

See, that's what is throwing me off. I hear the same report from my buddy, who has had his Z10 and has similar battery life as what you describe. Same carrier, similar useage to me. Meanwhile, I've been up for an hour and a half with no useage but texting, and my battery has already drained to 80%. My carrier provides me with 14 days from the date of the INITIAL PHONE that I can return it, after that it has to be sent back to Blackberry.

When I hear from people such as yourself that their phone started off fine, it leaves me very unsure about my poor luck. It seems like there are more than just myself who have this awful battery life from the get go. It makes me wonder if one of BlackBerry's battery manufacturers created a bad batch. Seems there are folks with phones who work from the get go, and folks with phones that don't work at all.

Contributor
jagibson

That may be the case, over all anyone I have spoken to has great luck, but its the ones with bad luck that complain so it seems like its a big problem but I suspect it's not that common. Try a different telus store, they'd probably have different shipments of phones.
Regular Contributor
Copes

I've thought about that. I'm not sure if I am able to, as my phone is a company phone and the account is set up through a specific store. It might be something I could look into.

Phone has been unplugged for exactly 2 hours and 13 minutes (I'm watching the battery closely today). It has drained 20% with most settings turned off or turned down, and about 25 BBMs/SMS/Emails sent and recieved. While this is undoubtedly better than the phone I had before, I still would be getting nowhere near the 24+ hours of moderate useage you suggest. Its a bit of a bummer. I hope I'm not coming across as a complainer though. I really do love the phone. I love the OS, I love the feel, I love the look. I'm just having battery issues.

Contributor
jagibson

Drain it, full recharge, drain it, full recharge. I  have always doe this with my phones and have never had a problem ever. I recharge overnight.

I turn off blue tooth, ncf, wifi, hotspot, teathering...all that stuff as it will drain your battery. If your carrier does not have strong LTE support (and Telus doesnt, I notice a ot of ppl with Telus are having dran problems but those with ell seem happy) switch to 3G and see what happens. Just as with any other phone I have had,  I only leave on what I use, which is data and network, unless in the house and then I use wifi for lager things.

Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

If wifi is available it uses less battery than cellular connection. So, if it's available connect to it. If not, turn it off.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Contributor
jagibson

You might also want to consider the battery backup kit. I got mine at Best Buy.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/blackberry-blackberry-z10-battery-charger-bundle-acc50256101-acc...

If that battery charges completely and gives you good life, then its the battery that came with your Z10. Both my spare and the one that came with my phone are giving me a full day pretty much.