Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
nqchen
My Device: Z10

BlackBerry Z10 can't connect to Windows via usb

I want to backup my phone, but I need to back it up by using usb. My phone only connects to BlackBerry Link by Wi-Fi network. How do I connect my phone to BlackBerry Link by usb. There are important things that I want to keep. I need help connecting teh z10 to the computer. I used the usb and the z10 charges, but in Blackberry Link it is only Wi-Fi network.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor (Retired)
FrankieS
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 smartphone

Re: BlackBerry Z10 can't connect to Windows via usb

Hi nqchen,

Welcome to the support community!

Can you tell me exactly what happens when you try to connect your BlackBerry Z10 smartphone to BlackBerry Link via usb cable?

Is it detected by your computer?

Have you tried using different usb ports in your computer or different usb cables?

This link may help you setup your connection and backup your data. http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartphone_users/deliverables/53140/index.jsp?name=User+Guide+-+BlackB...

I look forward to your response.

-FS

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
nqchen

[ Edited ]

Hey Frankie

My computer is connected to my phone both wi-fi and usb, but my phone is not connecting to the computer by usb. I need to back up the phone.

Also one device driver did not successfully install and I can't reinstall it. I uninstalled BlackBerry Link 3 times and reinstalled it and it still doesn't work.

I used different usb cables and usb ports.

Please use plain text.
FrankieS

[ Edited ]

Hi nqchen,

What version of Windows OS are you using? Is it possible that you have User Account Control enabled? Can you provide the full error you receive about the drivers not being installed?
Are you installing BlackBerry Link when you are prompted when connecting the BlackBerry Z10 smartphone to the computer or with the BlackBerry 10 device not connected to the PC? I look forward to your reply.

Cheers,

-FS

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
nqchen

[ Edited ]

I use Windows 7, The User Account Control is enabled to always notify me. The error about the driver was just call BlackBerry and it was not successfully installed. I was installing BlackBerry Link when the Z10 was not connected to the computer.

On my computer it connects to the Z10 usb, but my phone doesn't say Device Connected To The Computer

Please use plain text.
FrankieS

Hi nqchen,

In BlackBerry Link does it show your BlackBerry Z10 smartphone on the bottom left of the screen?
Could you please try disabling User Account Control, rebooting the computer and then trying to install BlackBerry Link again?

Let me know the results.

-FS

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
nqchen

Can you tell me how to disable user account control
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
amity21
My Device: Blackberry Q10

[ Edited ]

Hello nqchen:

Try this.. Go to settings > Storage & Access > and change USB Connection from Autodetect to "Connect to Windows".. Connect it back to computer. The device should reinstall the drivers.

If that fails.. Change it "Connect to Mac" and when you will connect to computer, you will see an error message.. Disconnect the device and change USB connection to "Connect to Windows" and connect back to computer..

Also make sure your are logged in as Administrator on the computer and allowed to install new drivers & application. and your firewall is not blocking BB 10 device drivers..

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
nqchen

hey amity21, I tried the steps you told me and it still didn't work. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
WillyA

[ Edited ]

I have the same problem-cannot connect with USB on my Dell Inspiron laptop running WIndows 8. Device manager says it has the latest driver 2.0.0.32 dated June 27, 2013 but is not working properly. It will connect sporadically to give me drive access via wifi but cannot sync contacts or calendar with USB which I have been patiently waiting to do since March when I got Z10.  When I connect USB it says Z10 is connected-but also shows "cannot communicate with device"  but won't allow sync of contacts or calendar.  

User control is at its lowest setting-off.

I can connect  Z10 using Link & USB on my home desktop computer and have no problem syncing contacts & calendar.  Unfortunately other than the test entries I do not have any entries on the desktop-I want to be able to sync contacts and calendar on my work computer for obvious reasons as was a simple exercise with my Torch and desktop manager.  I have uninstalled LInk and reinstalled the newest update and restored Z10 to factory settings "reload" but the driver will not load on my Dell laptop. Same driver works fine on the desktop-also running Windows 8.

My partners want to upgrade their older Blackberry's but I won't let them do so until this LInk can properly sync their contacts and calendars!!!  I was hoping the latest update would solve the problem but it continues as for the most important function-syncing Contacts and Calendar. I can move music, videos etc. using Wifi/bluetooth.

NOTE: LOVE Z10-no intent to give it up-best smart phone I have ever owned!! 

Please use plain text.