If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

royalonz
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Telkom

Blackberry ID messing up my contacts and groups

Hello everyone, I need some advice.

A few months ago I setup my wife's BB 9790 using my email address as BB ID. I don't use Blackberry, until a few weeks ago I purchased Z10. I use the same email address in my Z10.

Then story starts this morning when I checked my wife's BB9790 App World, the app asked to login so I did. Then upgraded some apps as requested by App World. It went ok. Then I go to work. At work I checked my BBM but instead of going to BBM there is a warning screen something like this:

the blackberry ID [my email] is associated to another device, do you want to transfer ??data??. Choices are Exit or Submit. When I choose Exit it will exit the BBM. So I tap the BBM icon again and it goes to the same warning screen so I tap Submit. Then it starts processing.

What happen then was all my wife contacts and groups are merged into my Z10. And my wife started calling me that she cannot connect to BBM, and her friends notified her that her profile changed to my profile! So after google and tweaking for a day I decided to wipe both BB but it doesn't help. :-(

Since it seems that contacts and groups associated to my email are merged, I need advice how to "split" our contacts and groups. My wife have about 7 groups and 150 contacts, I have 3 groups and 60 contacts. What should I do in order to avoid "re-invite" friends and groups all over again. Thanks so much.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Blackberry ID messing up my contacts and groups

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Unfortunately, you cant. By making the selections you made, you indeed have merged the two together. So you must now decide. I recommend you use the following criteria:

1) Whichever of you has the most to lose (probably your wife), choose that one as the "master" and move the BBID back to that device, which will restore all of the BBM contacts, groups, etc. Then, proceed to delete those that are not needed on that device.

2) On the other device, create a brand new BBID and start over fresh and clean.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
royalonz

sdgardne, thanks for the welcome and advice.

That's what I'm afraid of. Oh well, I guess I will have to start fresh on one of the device, I guess my Z10 since it has the least contacts.

Can you please advice the easiest way to export contacts (incl. pin#) from my wife BB? That way I can invite my contacts in the Z10. thanks again
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

From what you described, she's probably on BBM7, which has no way to export the BBM contacts as they are part of the BB ID and not part of the device itself (technically). If she's pre-BBM7, then export is possible...see the link in my auto-sig on this post related to backup procedures...in there is another link to a KB that specifically discusses BBM contact backup/restore.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
royalonz

Ok.

Oh I forgot to mention that I have a FULL backup of my Z10 via Blackberry Link software. Any way to solve my problem with this new info? Sorry I'm new to all this. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

As of yet, I know of no way to do anything with the backup files from a BB10 device, except for the natively-intended restore. As far as I know, none of the tools that can parse the backup file can yet do anything with what is created for the Z10...but I haven't looked either.

Further, the Z10 has BBM10...which, as far as I understand, was based from BBM7, using the BB ID "cloud" as the location for BBM contact information, not the device itself. So, just like a BBM7 device, there's nothing on the device itself to backup for BBM contacts.

I know you'd like to find an easier way out of the situation that was created, but I truly don't think there is any other way. Again, though, if her BB is pre-BBM7, then there might be hope...but you've not said anything about that, so I can't guess.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Shandhiwidjaja
My Device: z10, 9790
My Carrier: Tsel

Just want to ad... Once you use turn on Blackberry ID on the new device, make sure you turn off the data service from the Old device. Otherwise it will confused the 2 devices and mess up your groups.
I just transfered 462 contacts + 17 groups from Z10 to 9790 using BBId, done successfully, only 1 group missing. Did it over WIFI connection and it took the while nite while I slept....
Please use plain text.