Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
mfarmilo
My Device: Curve 8520

Blackberry Link hasn't transferred my messages

Just used the Blackberry Link software to transfer all my content from my old phone. However it seems all my sms & bbm messages have vanished - there's no history at all. Anyone know what's going on here ? I need all my old message history, or the phone is no use to me.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Re: Blackberry Link hasn't transferred my messages

SMS messages are supposed to transfer but it's been reported that they haven't always been transferring. I used the Device Switch via media card from my OS7 device and contacts transferred.

It is recommended that BBM be updated to the latest version on the old device before updating to the new. This is because te Z10 uses BBID to store your BBM contacts. Try updating BBM to the latest version of BBM and it will import your contacts to the BBID version. Then login to BBM on the Z10 and contacts should be there.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Oh, and BBM conversations always disappear during transfers and software updates. You should make sure your chat histories are being stored on the media card (if legal in your area.)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
mfarmilo

Thanks, but the old phone is up to date already, no updates available. Also, the problem isn't with contacts - they are visible in bbm, but no message history. Likewise selecting sms from the hub just gives me a list of all my contacts, instead of my text message history. I can't possibly use the phone without that history, I'll have to go back to the old phone until there's a resolution.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark

Try doing a device switch using the media card. Go to Setup on the old device and then go to Device Switch. It will make a full backup of the old device on the media card. Then put the media card in the Z10 and go to the Setup App (on the 3rd page of apps on my device) and click on Device Switch to transfer the old data to the new phone.

Hopefully that brings over your SMS (it worked on mine) but BBM conversations are never (and have never been) saved unless you have chat history enabled in the BBM options (again, not always legal.) They're lost even in simple software upgrade on the old device.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
mfarmilo

Ok, I've wiped the phone & then tried the transfer again using the 'device switch' method. That seems to have done exactly the same thing again. Can anyone recommend a way I can definitely get my SMS message history from my old phone onto the Z10 ? Used to be a piece of cake with Desktop Manager backup/restore, but although nobody's said so I gather that route will not work with the Z10.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark

This is what I would do.

Hopefully you have a full backup made with Desktop Software before you wiped.

Wipe the device

Restore the SMS Message and Text Message databases back to the wiped device.

Then try the transfer via Link again.
Please use plain text.