Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
Julia55
My Device: Curve 9300
My Carrier: Koodo
Accepted Solution

Blackberry Protect and PIN Questions

Hello,

So I recently lost my Z10 :smileysad: By the time I got to a computer to try and locate it, it looked like the battery had been taken out of it. I have a couple questions however about blackberry protect and PIN numbers.

So my first question is, if the phone is wiped (I haven't wiped my phone using blackberry protect because I do not know the answer to this question) will my blackberry protect service be wiped from the phone as well?

My next question is are PINS on Z10's still permanetly attached to the hardware they come with? I want to know that if my friends and I try to add the PIN, it'll still be a valid/working PIN. I'm hoping that if I'm able to show that someone has the phone and is using it, i'll be able to get the police to work with the service provider in tracking the phone down/blacklisting it. I realize that on previous generations of BB's the PIN was permanetly attached, but I have read a couple of other places that there was a way to remove even those PINS. I'm wondering if that's true and also if Z10's are less permanent?

Any help would be appreciated, I'm generally gonna try and go through anything to make the person who took my phones life harder. It's basically the only thing I can do to make myself feel better about the situation.

Also on a side note: In blackberry protect, under manage devices, the status of my Z10 still says active. But I can't locate, display messages, or make it ring.

Thank you ahead of time to anyone who takes the time to respond!

Please use plain text.
Developer
Teaboy1748
My Device: Q10/ Z10 / 9900 / PlayBook / 9700 / 8900
My Carrier: ATT

Re: Blackberry Protect and PIN Questions

Im not sure about the wipe.

but

You will not be able to change BBM Pins as each manufactured Blackberry Device has it's own unique PIN
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Julia55

Thank you for replying! The confirmation on my question about the PIN gives me little bit of relief!

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

I would hope your phone has a password activated to keep it protected in case you have personal data in it!

In Blackberry Protect, send a wipe to the phone, and do not cancel it. As soon as the battery is put in to the phone and it catches the service carrier a wipe signal should be received. If there is a password required to view the contacts and data stored the phone should be safe. This is as long as you did not make a simple password that most anyone can guess. The first ones tried are 1234, or 4321, or abcd, or dcba just for a few examples. Some people even use the word "password". The person trying to get in has 10 shots at it, and then the Blackberry will lock out and do a wipe on its own. 

For someone who finds or steals a Blackberry, if it needs a strong password to get in the finder basically has a useless brick of electronics. He is not getting in and he cannot get anything out of it.  If you keep open data that is not encrypted on the SD card then this is another matter.  I never keep any valuable data on the SD card that would be readable in a PC. 

For a password, it is best to use a made up word that is easy for you to remember, and  has at least 8 characters in length. This will make getting in to the phone impossible unless the person trying hits it by a fluke.

I keep my phone in sight all the time. I never put it down in any public place. I never take it out in public places where people can see me using the phone, unless it is a very familiar place where I know it is safe.  I always put it back in to a zippered belt pouch. I guard this phone as if it was a part of me. I never let it out of sight for a second.

The Blackberry pin number for the phone is unique to each phone. When you get a new phone it will have a new pin number.

Jerry G.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Julia55

Thank you for the advice, my phone is password protected and the password was none of suggestions you made!

None of the material is to sensitive on my phone so I'm not to worried if someone got access to it anyways. I do think my password was pretty strong however and couldn't be guessed,

I'm worried that if they entered the password in ten times though and everything was wiped then maybe my blackberry protect service and ID was wiped as well. This is what I really want to know about. If the phone was wiped, do I lose the ability to track it?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Julia55

Hello again,

I decided to do a little investigation when my curve 9320 that I was using before I got my Z10. I backed it up and the wiped it by entering the password in wrong 10 times. Then I tried to locate it once it wiped, turned on and connected to my network. No luck :smileysad: Once the phone had been wiped, I couldn't track it or contact it anyway from protect. I guess my only shot I have left now is by trying to keep a track on the PIN... 

Pretty dissapointed that protect stops working once the phone is wiped. I was hoping it could only be removed by logging into your blackberry ID on the phone or computer to remove it.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
tanus9711
My Device: z10
My Carrier: movistar spain

Blackberry Protect fail to wipe a remote my BB9900. Help please.

Blackberry Protect fail to wipe a remote my BB9900. Help please. 

I,ll try in English,sorry.

I want to know if Blackberry Protect can WIPE a device is stolen (Blackberry 9900)

I chk in protect.blackberry.com and appears all my devices but, in the BB9900 (stolen) appear other phone number ¿?, and when I try to WIPE the device ... appear a message telling me there is no contact with the unit .... when it is connected to the internet will be wiped --> NO !!! I check and the phone run win problems ¿?.

IF the PIN is unique , why cant I wipe the phone ¿?.

Probably the person who has this phone change sim and reload software, and NOT activate blackberry protect, in this situation can I WIPE my Blackberry 9900¿?

Who can help me .. carrier ¿?, RIM, sorry Blackberry ¿?. 

Thanks for your help

Santiago Cardona

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Julia55

Re: Blackberry Protect fail to wipe a remote my BB9900. Help please.

Hi Santiago,

Protect is useless if your phones been stolen i'm afraid.

If blackberry protect says you can't wipe it currently then you'll just have to wait until your phones connected to a wireless network unless the person has wiped it themselves or removed your blackberry ID from the phone. Did you have a lock on your phone? If you did everything probably would have been wiped when they entered your password more then ten times.

The PIN isn't connected to blackberry protect, I thought it was too and that you could only remove blackberry protect from the protect website but it doesn't work that way :smileysad:

It's very interesting that you see the persons phone number on your account. I would strongly urge you to write down that number and call it. Maybe you will be able to find the person who stole your phone.

I'm not sure about the software reload.... If blackprotect was also removed and reloaded by doing a software reload then you won't be able to wipe it even if they haven't activated it because your phone is only attached to your account by your blackberry ID. So if the software was reloaded, then your blackberry ID was removed I'm guessing.

I would call your carrier for sure, maybe they can blacklist the phone....Here's an email for blackberry that you can try: help@blackberry.com

Blackberry wasn't much help though, but you can try!

Goodluck!

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
tickerguy
My Device: Z-10
My Carrier: T-Mobile

If it's wiped then it is "gone" on the network as it stands right now.

This is in some ways unfortunate -- however, for it NOT to be the case the phone would have to "beacon" back to Blackberry's servers with its PIN number whenever on, whether the user wants it to or not.  This is a potentially huge security problem in that it makes devices findable at any time by Blackberry to within a couple of hundred to a thousand or so feet, even without the GPS being on!

It's a trade-off, in short.  I think I'm ok with it since my primary concern is people not being able to get my data, and with an encrypted device and SD card, plus a strong password, an HONEST person can be convinced to return it, and a dishonest one has no chance at getting the data. 

The device can be replaced, the data is what I'm primarily concerned about.

Market Information? Come read The Market Ticker!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Akash12
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: Bell Canada

My phone was stolen just 2 days ago and I am stuck in the same boat!

I understand how it works but if the device is wiped would that reflect changes to BlackBerry Protect?.. As in will the device still show under my protect or will there be some kind of indication that it is wiped? Please help!

Please use plain text.