Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
boldlygo
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900

Blackberry Z10 application memory space

The blackberry Z10 comes with 11.3GB of usable internal memory storage. Can anyone who actually has the blackberry Z10 phone tell me how much of this is allocated specifically to application memory?

Contributor
twstd_reality
My Device: BB z10 & PlayBook 64GB

Re: Blackberry Z10 application memory space

11.3GB. Storage is storage. it doesn't differentiate. It will be less if you have tons of videos and what not
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700

[ Edited ]

The phone when first setup, had about 850 MB for active programs if I remember correctly. It is not exacly like a PC for software operation.

If I understand right the programs run within their own environment in cell phones. The memory sort of works like a combination of shared space as like an SSD drive and operating RAM together. The programs are not very large in data space usage. I'm under the impression they operate from a compressed format.

The software in these phones are not large in data size. For example, my phone shows 2 GB memory in total. It shows 723 MB remaining for active software. I did not install very much extra software. I have a lot of data, many email accounts, a fair number of added links on the desktop, about 900 email contact entries, and about 600 pages of notes.

Jerry G.
Contributor
boldlygo
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900

Thank you...that's very helpful

thanseer
My Device: Planning to Buy Z10

Dear Jerry,
you sure that it (Z10) has only 723 MB for Installing Apps, right? can you please Explain to me. Because i am Gonna buy the blackberry Z10. So i want to know how really useful this Phone to me. And i am an application user. Before i used iPhone 4s. So i want to know How much applications can i Install in the Phone Z10? pls Help
Thanks,
Thanseer M
thickdrew
My Device: Z19

Application space too small !!  

I think my bold 9900 only has 384mb of application, email, and contacts space.  Turns out that 5000 contacts takes about 250mb of space!  I manage 4 email addresses too.  In total - I can only keep about 2 weeks of email, and my phone constantly needs to be reset.  I've deleted 2/3rds of my apps too to stay afloat.  

I heard that they are no longer using BIS for email.  Does this mean that the email will no longer use up the previous "application space"?  

Is the Z10 any more efficient at storing contacts (amount of space it takes)?  

Hoping to purchase a Z10 - but not sure I want to if the application storage is so limited.  What would you want 10+ gb of space (after overhead) on a phone for if it wasn't for applications, contacts, and mail?  I would always use the mini sd card for media.  

Thanks,

Andrew

Forums Advisor III
jerryg50
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700

This is an interesting question...

I use both a Z10 and a 9900. I have them set up identical for my work. I need two mobile numbers, and sometimes I have to be browsing or tethering to my laptop or my Playbook with one phone and talking on the other at the same time. I have no memory issues with either phone.  I was thinking when the Q10 comes out I will swap the 9900 to the Q10.

The Z10 is using the Microsoft Exchange system for email. This means it reads the email from the server as like your computer. From what I have been seeing when deleting an email on the Z10 it also gets deleted from the server. From my impression I believe the Z10 is working as like a PC would for downloading email.

I am managing 8 email addresses with my Z10. I receive about 50 to 70 emails per day average. On some days I may answer about 20 emails over the coarse of the day.

I have about 1000 entries in my contacts, and maybe about 10% of them have associated pictures. I have about 100 notes in the Remember section which is equivalent to the Notes section on the previous phone models. The average number of lines per note must be about 10. Some are up to 100 lines.

So far I have not had any memory issue. I have very few apps installed other than what comes with the Operating system.  The only extra apps are the Bridge for my Playbook, and web based Google Maps. I read a lot of news articles and watch some news videos. I use web based links for all the news sites I view.

My main usage of the phone is for email, web browsing, reading documents such as texts and spread sheets, some PDF files, and a fair amount of talking to clients and some personal use. On the web I view live charts and graphs at times. I also do some research to look up information.  If I need a larger screen I use a Playbook tablet that I WiFi to the phone for web and email use. I found the Bridge mode to not be very good with the tablet with the phone. 

I am not a game player, therefore there are no games installed on my devices other than the ones that came with the devices. I use Facebook and also participate in a number of technical forums such as this one.  Most of my forum reading is done from a PC at any of my locations.

I have very few issues with the Z10. When I first got it I ran in to some small bugs. After calling Blackberry support through BELL, I was given a ticket number for each of the bugs as I reported them. Very soon after I pointed out the bugs the updates came out that fixed them.  I am aware that if I had a specific type of bug many other users had to have the exact same thing. The Z10's are all identical and all work on the same OS.

We have a number of Z10's. We had one go defective with the display. This was changed immediatly by the BELL Mobility dealer. Since then we have had no problems.

Jerry G.
Contributor
abujamroshan
My Device: z10

i don't think its application memory anymore in the z10.....rather like the ram.... i use a z10 and i've a 1gb, 2 500mb games installed over and above many 30mb sized apps and the ram space has not not gone down......i suppose it goes down only when you really mutitask.... as far as i think, the apps get installed in the device memory which says 16gb though practically lesser since thats the storage i find dwindling as i install more and more apps... hope this helps...
Trusted Contributor
tickerguy
My Device: Z-10

I have ~5.2GB used of the 16GB on the phone, but all my media is on the SD card.  Then again I am an extremely heavy user of email and text messages, and keep an awful lot of the latter, in particular, around.

Market Information? Come read The Market Ticker!