Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

t-oni
My Device: z10

Blackberry Z10 pricey APN Problem

I got my new Blackberry Z10 last month after having used a Blackberry Storm with Vodafone Germany for over 3 years.

Today I randomly checked my provider account and I was shocked to see that this month's costs were 5 times higher than usual!!!

The lady at the Vodafone hotline explained to me that the preset browser on my Blackberry Z10 is using the wrong APN for my Mobile Phone plan.

It's supposed to use blackberry.net or the vodafone APN - my old Blackberry Storm obviously used those automatically.

Now they want me to book an extra option to lower my costs!

Is there no way to make my new Z10 use the right APNs without having to book a new Vodafone Option????

Please Help!

Regular Contributor
orangekeeper

Re: Blackberry Z10 pricey APN Problem

[ Edited ]

Hi There,

My understanding is that the Z10 isn't 'Supposed' to use blackberry.net (Unlike older Blackberry devices). It works more like an Android/iOS device which uses your service provider's standard internet APN (So you don't need to pay for the Blackberry 'service' as part of your plan with the Z10).

If you go to settings - Mobile Network - APN (At the bottom), you can see what APN is configured, but I'm not sure if Blackberry.net will actually work on the new BB10 platform (I tried changing my settings to use it as I also have blackberry.net on my SIM, but the device wouldn't connect).

I would call Vodafone again and see what standard internet APN allowance bundles they have which are similar in cost to the old Blackberry service, which you don't need any more.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: BTW, my comments above are from experience with T-Mobile as my service provider. I'm assuming Voda work in the same way...

t-oni

Thank you for your reply!

I didn't book a Blackberry Option because I didn't need one with my Storm and because Blackberry is advertising that you don't need one with the Z10 anymore - so I thought I was good.

I tried and there is no APN configured. I didn't purchase the new phone from my provider, though, because my plan is good for another 7 months. I bought it from Blackberry itself over Amazon. Would devices purchased directly from a provider have a preset APN configuration? Could that be the problem?

Vodafone is supposed to call me back about their APN allowance bundles, because their Tech Team only starts at 9:30AM. I call that luxurious working hours! :smileywink:

I found something on the internet and put it in my settings:

APN: web.vodafone.de

user name: none

password: none

Now it shows "Vodafone.de" on my Mobile Network site, the letter "G" underneath and a weird icon on the right that I can't describe. Does that mean that it did connect and that I'm browsing with Vodafone APN now?

Regular Contributor
orangekeeper

Hi Again,

My TMUK device had the APN settings entered by default, although I'm not sure if it was on the device from out of the box, or if it was a carrier update over SMS that set it.

LOL, luxurious indeed!!! Might be worth applying for a job ;-)

Yes, it sounds like you are connected if you have a capital G and the symbol (It looks like the Blackberry logo??). However, I wouldn't use it just now until you've received the call from Voda to dicscuss your allowances and bundles. I don't know what their charges are, but if you don't have an allowance you could end up paying for data that your phone is sending/receiving in the background....

t-oni

Thanks, will do! I already found out the hard way what Vodafone charges for data if you don't use the right APN :smileywink:

The icon doesn't look like the Blackberry logo, though - more like a plug and a socket.

Regular Contributor
orangekeeper