Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
Ndoki
My Device: z10

Blackberry z10 won't connect to PC

[ Edited ]

To elaborate: I had wireless connection turned on by default, and was getting a popup every few minutes saying it was connecting or something.  Downloaded BB link twice (and installed fine as far as I can tell) and it recognizes my phone, as well as shows any media I have on it, but if I try to sync any images to my desktop it spends a good five minutes or so saying it's preparing to sync and then just gives me a connection error.

I turned off wireless sync and tried the wired version.  Plugging it in makes the new device connected sound, followed by a popup saying it's been connected and is initializing device access.

Any help?

Contributor
Ndoki

Re: Blackberry z10 won't connect to PC

I guess I should also mention I'm running windows 7 64-bit that's been updated to today if that helps any.

Retired
Cpt_Sweatpants
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Hi Ndoki,

Just to clarify, is the 'Initializing Device Access' message displayed as a Windows message or do you see this in BlackBerry Link?

Thanks.

-CptS

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Contributor
Ndoki

[ Edited ]

Okay so I found the option that lets you use your blackberry like a USB drive.  Now when it connects I don't get a message, and can open it to view the files.

In Blackberry link, however it doesn't show up at all, and I can't seem to access files on the phone's storage, only the SD card (I think).

Turning off that gives me a windows popup message saying " installing device driver software" and then "blackberry device manager initializing storage volume access"

and then to restart my computer for the changes to take effect.

After a restart windows gives me the "initializing" message again.  Link is showing my phone and all it's files.  Trying to sync to desktop gives me the "preparing to sync", and the circle has been spinning around for about 8 minutes now.

Edit: Okay I left it for about 45 minutes, came back, and the circle is still spinning, but if I mouseover it, the popup says "connection error" and if I click on it says: "There was a problem accessing the drive(s) on this device.  Disconnect and reconnect your device, and try again."

Which I have done about a dozen times now, all with the same issue.  Hope that helps.

Also: just noticed on BB Link that when I have my z10 selected it says FREE:0KB but I know for a fact I have free space on both my phone AND media card.

Contributor
mratko
My Device: Q10/9800/8700

Ndoki,

I am having the very same issues but cannot find where/how to set the phone up as a harddrive.  I went into settings and saw the Access to Storage setting and it is set to USB - Autodetect.  Is there somewhere else I should be looking? If so, can you please point me in the same direction.

Thanks....

Mike

Contributor
Ndoki

Settings>Storage and Access> USB Mass Storage

Contributor
mratko

Thanks but I don't have an option on the phone to select mass storage.  the SD card is not installed right now.  Would that make a difference?

If so, then is the device/phone storage not available to music/photos/videos coming from the computer?

Thank you again for your help.

Mike

Contributor
Ndoki

Yeah, it only works for the SD card.

Like I said earlier, with that option on I can select the SD card from my computer to manually move files on it, but not on the actual phone.  With it turned off I can't access anything.

Contributor
mratko

Thanks a tonne. I will put a card in and give it a go.

Mike

New Contributor
micheliod16

Im having the same problem with my z10.  It won't seem to sink at all with the bb link.  the comuter detetects it, and states that it's initialising it but that's it (windows 7 64). and I'm having the same problem with the mac too.  When in link it just doesn't find it....but has no problem finding my bold 9900. In the device manager i can make it so i can see it as a drive....but this is not very usefull if i want to back up my contacts and schedual in bb link.