Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Trusted Contributor
bs342
My Device: Torch 9800 / PlayBook / Z10
My Carrier: O2 UK
Accepted Solution

Bluetooth issues between Z10 and PlayBook

Since upgrading from a Torch 9800 to a Z10 I have massive issues wth Bluetooth between my handset and my Playbook. They are 

BlackBerry Bridge offers no functions whatsoever 

I am unable to get my Playbook to connect to the Internet via Internet Tetthering on my Z10

I am unable to transfer files between the two devices using Bluetooth 

My devices are paired but the only feature available is using my phone as a remote control for the PlayBook,  wow! 

Any advice folks? This situation is quite useless.  

BlackBerry is for Life not just for Christmas
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

Re: Bluetooth issues between Z10 and PlayBook

[ Edited ]

I have the same issues and pursued them...

As for the Bridge features this is not finished being developed yet for the Z10 to the tablet. The Bridge mode is really only good for limited browsing, but may not work well with secure sites using https.

In the Bridge mode the Playbook email client will not work properly. It best works in the WiFi hot spot mode, or with the true USB tether.

The tethering using Bluetooth does not yet work properly with the tablet and some other types of Bluetooth tablets and computer links. The USB tether with a desktop or laptop computer works excellent.  I use this myself with my laptop computers. I was told the Bluetooth tether option will be fixed in one of the coming updates.

The best solution is to use the phone in the WiFi hot spot mode for the tablet. This works very well, and it is much faster than Bluetooth tether can ever work. Bluetooth tether is limited to about 2.0 to 2.5 mb/sec maximum speed. With the WiFi hot spot mode the tether can go to the speed that your mobile data connection will allow. In 4G mode I have had it to more than 21 mb/sec.

I use when possible an external battery unit with my phone to get longer time from the battery when using its WiFi hotspot mode. Blackberry has this option. You can see them in the accessories for Blackberry at most places that sell Blackberry accessories.  Crackberry.com and Futureshop sell this accessory.

I hope this helps you out! :Cowboy:

Jerry G.
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Hello,

According to the readme that is provided when you activate Bridge between them, this is WAD -- Working As Designed. So, while I would agree that the present design is flawed, there is nothing technically broken at this time.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
bs342
My Device: Torch 9800 / PlayBook / Z10
My Carrier: O2 UK

Two excellent replies within 10 minutes, thanks to both of you. I will set up and try the mobile hotspot. Apart from the above the Z10 continues to impress with every new day. This is a great device. 

BlackBerry is for Life not just for Christmas
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
luisig
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: telus

I can't believe BlackBerry cut out so much PlayBook bridge functionality with the Z10. Seeing my BBM texts and emails on my PlayBook is one of the main reason's I stayed with a blackberry smart phone.
Please use plain text.