Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
mudpuddles
My Device: Bold 9780 and a Z10
My Carrier: Vodafone
Accepted Solution

Browser defaulting to "downloads" screen on Z10

Hi everyone,

I switched to a Z10 from a Bold 9780 last week.  So far the experience has been fantastic, with one major gripe.  The browser frequently defaults to an odd "downloads" screen when I try to open a web page.  This always happens when I try to go to You Tube (never managed to open it successfully), as well as flickr, many news websites, and some others.  This screen has a blue bar across the top, with the heading "downloads", with a "Cancel" option to the peft and a "Save" option to the right.  Below this, it lists two files of 1KB size each.  Both have the same name: "holding-page-1_under15.wml".

Can anyone explain what this means, and how I can fix my browser so I can actually visit the web pages I want to view?  I am using the most recent software release.

Thanks for all suggestions,

MP

I want to have my Z10's babies.
Please use plain text.
Developer
samarthsevak
My Device: Playbbook
My Carrier: TATA Docomo

Re: Browser defaulting to "downloads" screen on Z10

getting same message when trying to access certain sites over 3G?.. Can access fine on wifi?.. Restarting phone makes difference? or try on 2G. your prob. may solved
Please use plain text.
Contributor
mudpuddles

Sorry, meant to say I've already tried the obvious stuff....

It happens all the time whether on 3G, 2G or wifi.  I've tried on / off, I've tried removing and replacing the battery, tried deleting the cookies and history.

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,901
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

To set your homepage in the browser, open the browser > tap the three lower right dots icon > Settings.

Tap Display and Actions and at the top you can set the home page of either your last opened tabs, or customize it with entering the URL of what you'd like to see.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
mudpuddles

???

I do not have any issue with setting a homepage in my browser.  I have my home page set to google.

I'd be grateful for any guidance on the problem I have with a "downloads" screen apparing when I try to browse the web.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

What is your Operating System loaded to your device?
From the main screen, swipe down from the top black bezel to Settings > About... what is the OS Version listed there?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
mudpuddles

Release  10.1.0.4181

Please use plain text.
JSanders

I don't know... you might backup, perform a security wipe on the device and then restore ONLY the Settings and Media portion of the backup... do not restore the App Data portion of the backup.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Developer
samarthsevak
My Device: Playbbook
My Carrier: TATA Docomo

Did you try to restore factory settings?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mudpuddles

Hi everyone,

Just to tie this up for anyone else who experiences the same problem and finds themselves on this page: 

After many weeks of frustration I finally found out that this was a problem with my service provider (Vodafone Ireland) - I was told by a Vodafone customer service representative that Vodafone has a limit on web access by default on new smartphone accounts, for which customers must "opt out" when creating their account (its a security thing to ensure people don't run up crazy data costs unwittingly, and also to protect minors or the parents who pay their phone bills). Normally, the company representative who sets up the account will do this automatically (i.e., give he customer full web access) at the time of sign-up, or at the very least they will ask the new customer if they want to access the web on their phone.  They just forgot to do this in my case.

Once the problem was identified, I had it resolved by Vodafone in just a few seconds. So, if anyone else has this problem, start with your service provider first!

MP

p.s. my Z10 s friggin' awesome, I love it love it love it!

Please use plain text.