Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

New Contributor
kevster310
My Device: Z10 Stl-100-1
My Carrier: giffgaff

Can not update OS still... at the end of my tether...

[ Edited ]

First off, just want to say I have tried to research this online. Read the crackberry post, and this post here: http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Z10/Unable-to-update-to-latest-BB10-OS-version-Wha...

Both had great suggestions and I tried them all with no avail. 

I have used blackberrys since the "pearl" and never have I felt so disadvantaged becasue I bought an unlocked phone. 

My Z10 is STL100-1, I use it on giffgaff in the UK. My OS is STILL 10.0.9. Tried every method previsouly described and still no update. Tried all my friend's sims (EE, 02, Vodaphone) too but UK carriers use the STL100-2 so I'm still out of luck. As a result, no whatsapp for me, and battery life is atrocious even given my light use. 

I understand that these updates need to be pushed out by the carrier and in part it's my own fault for chosing an un-offical carrier. But why can Apple and android and windows update their phone all over the world with an OTA update while BB must wait for carrier approval? Perhaps I'm just venting my frustrations or perhaps blackberry really is falling behind the competition? 

If anyone else has any other suggestions, I'd be very appreciative. 

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
monkeno
My Device: 9800
My Carrier: O2

Re: Can not update OS still... at the end of my tether...

My guess is that this is a payment thing between the carriers and BB.

They used to have a strangle hold and complete accounting through BIS. To say nothing of added value with a better email offering.

Your buddies SIMS didn't match the EID (i think thats what it is called) and therefore no load for you.

Now they are just selling a widget like all the rest and would be out of busines by Wednesday on just that revenue. As it is they are trying to keep the old model in place with the carriers.

They will effectively be gone in a year after we have all tried the Z and Q and found absolutely no reasons to not just by best of breed from here forward.

Have youtried to use LINK? It didn't seem to do any validating of account information.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
kevster310
My Device: Z10 Stl-100-1
My Carrier: giffgaff

Well... perphaps I'm not as harsh as you lol but I do agree that  RIM has waned in the tech world for a reason. And this is just an example of many out there. 

It's a great shame really, I'm Canadian, went to university in Waterloo, have stuck with BB through the years. 

I have tried Link, tried reloading OS (it just says error (null)). Tried over the net update... etc. 

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

It seems like you've already tried all of the tricks, save for perhaps finding a friend with a SIM on a carrier that is compatible with your device and has released the update...sometimes, that'll kick off the update for you.

But, as is always said, there is a subset of users for whom none of the tricks will work. We all are wishing for a return of the prior OS loading methods and tricks...but, today, they do not exist.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
dragonbz
My Device: z10
My Carrier: telkomsel

Yes, I couldn't be more agree with ya all. I miss old method of loading bb software. I did a security wipe, then now it gives me the handheld to pc usb connection icon.

I tried all the tricks that the tech provides in this website but still no luck with my handheld. #frustated

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

dragonbz wrote:

Yes, I couldn't be more agree with ya all. I miss old method of loading bb software. I did a security wipe, then now it gives me the handheld to pc usb connection icon.

I tried all the tricks that the tech provides in this website but still no luck with my handheld. #frustated

Hello,

I can't know if you've already tried this one, so just in case:

• KB33480 BlackBerry 10 smartphone does not boot and displays a Phone with USB icon after an interrupted Security Wipe

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
dragonbz

I did try that. Still no luck though. is there any other way to update the software?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Nope...if you can't boot up (or have other reasons) and use the OTA update, then Link is the only way, and those tricks are what are published. There might be other threads with other tricks for you to try, though.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
dragonbz

hahahhaha bummer, nothing I can do tonight then. Well, going to bring it back to the shop where i bought my z10 tomorrow. :Surrender:

Thank you for helping a nubie like me.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

You are welcome...good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.