Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Verizon

Can't Send or Receive Text Messages after New OS Install

Since downloading the new OS upgrade, I can neither receive or send text messages. I see the messages, but when I touch them to see them nothing happens.

I've tried restarting my phone and have turned it off, taken the battery out then put it back in and restarted. Neither fixed the problem. That fixed a problem I was having sending emails, but the text issue continues.

Any other suggestions?

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2744), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Can't Send or Receive Text Messages after New OS Install

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

With a strong carrier network signal (e.g., not merely WiFi), I suggest the following steps, in order, even if they seem redundant to what you have already tried (step 1 should result in a message coming to your BB...please wait for that before proceeding to the next step):

1) Register HRT

• KB00510 How to register a BlackBerry smartphone with the wireless network
  • Please wait for one "registration" message to arrive

2) Reboot

• Pre-BB10 Devices ONLY. With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes.
  • BB10 Devices. Hold the top button down until the counter reaches zero. Wait for the device to be fully shut down (e.g., nothing at all displayed on the screen, no LED lights, etc.). Hold the top button until the red LED is lit. Wait through the full boot-up process. IF this fails, you can attempt the battery-pull method above, but it is normally NOT recommended unless nothing else works.
  • See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

Hopefully that will get things going again for you! If not, then you should contact your mobile service provider for formal support.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: 02

I had the exact same thing, the keyboard appears but not the text box which words you type are displayed and the past conversations. All after the OS update. My contacts all so disappeared. Wish you all the best of luck.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

I have followed all the steps in the message posted on 8-29-2013 (register, reboot, etc.). I also have taken off all apps on the phone that are not original to it - it's as it arrived from the factory in the box, other than my adding my email accounts and then my contact information.

I still have to do the reboot every half an hour or so, or more frequently, to get text messages. I reboot, they update, and then if I send more than 2 I have to reboot again - refreshing the Hub doesn't work - in order to see replies.
This is more than plain old memory leak.

Fwiw I'm running release 10.1.0.4200  for OS 10.1.0.4780, build ID 569951 on a Z10

Hall of Famer II

Hello,

swiss wrote:

I also have taken off all apps on the phone that are not original to it - it's as it arrived from the factory in the box

Close, but not quite...removing things does not cure, for example, OS corruption if such exists...only a full reload can do that. And further, if the problem is some hardware fault, then no amount of OS/Software level "fixes" will be of any value. To continue your diagnostic efforts, you would next proceed with an OS reload...refer:

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Thanks.

This is my second Z10. I was having the text issues with my first phone, that I had since early September. The issues cropped up all of a sudden, not obviously related to any new installations of an OS update, new app installation, etc.

I made several calls to the carrier (T-mobile) and after several rounds of troubleshooting, including a security wipe and re-install, both with and then without a restore of back-up information, I continued to have issues with text messages. (for what it's worth I also have issues wiht deleting FB notifications from the Hub; I mark them for deletion and they don't delete until after I reboot. It's annoying but not an issue in the way that not receiving text messages is).

I received the new phone, no issues for a week or so, and then it began again. I'll try the OS reload yet again on this phone, but I don't have a lot of faith that it will solve my issue, based on my having it done it in the past to try to correct the issue and it not working.

Hall of Famer II

Oh...that's certainly quite a bit of additional information than you first provided. IT would point me to a possible culprit of the OS itself and/or some add-on apps. Another diagnostic approach is to load the OS, but then add nothing at all to it...run for as long as necessary to be 100% sure that the problem does not exist. If things run clean, then add just one thing, and run again for as long as it takes. The process is quite tedious, but might help to indicate if a particular add-on is causing the issue, or if the base OS itself is the problem (e.g., if the problem shows up even after the OS install but before adding the first thing).

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates