02-06-2013 08:46 AM
I was reasonably excited to get my hands on the new BB 10 however I've been unable to connect to our Corporate Exchange server via Activesync. We've had absolutely no problems with the iPhones.
I was however able to get another employee connected. When I attempt to connect using the same parameters as the employee that can connect, I get the error, "There was an unexpected error and the operation was canceled". I created at Test account in Exchange and am able to connect via that user.
I was on our BES 5 with my previous device but just removed and still does not work (grasping at straws). Any ideas what would be different in my account in Exchange that will not allow my user to work?
Solved! Go to Solution.
02-06-2013 08:58 AM
Are there any security groups that the user (who can't be connected) needs to be added to. ActiveSync is pretty generic once it is working on the Exchange side.
02-06-2013 09:41 AM
i have no issue being on BES 5 and using Z10 with EAS on Exchange 2003
02-06-2013 10:07 AM
Removing myself from BES 5 was a "Hail Mary". I didn't actually think it would do anything. The problem is others have no problem connecting with Activesync but I cannot. It must be some setting I have in Exchange but have no clue what it could be.
02-06-2013 10:59 AM
Found the problem and fixed. I can now connect. I had to check the checkbox "Include inharitable permissions from this object's parent" in Active Directory. It was now checked.
Here are instructions on how to do it.
02-07-2013 05:37 PM
I've run into a similar problem where I can successfully configure my corporate email manually. But when I try to enter the settings into our lab BDS and override the AD settings with the corporate mail it won't accept the email password. I've verified that the pushed exchange settings are correct on the device so this is perplexing.
02-21-2013 11:59 AM
thaks for sharing that
05-20-2013 04:56 AM - edited 05-20-2013 04:57 AM
I was experiencing the exact same problem with my Q10 and tried various suggestions to get it working, the 2 below were the last things i did on Friday night - on Saturday afternoon i was finally able to successfully connect:
- implemented cbcapers post regarding ticking 'Allow inheritable permissions from the parent...'
- enabled 'AutoArchive' on my Outlook account. My Inbox had over 85,000 items, after archiving this stands at 14,000
- moved all subfolders of my Inbox up one level
I'm not sure which of these were decisive but i think archiving my inbox did the trick.