Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Regular Contributor
My Device: Z10

Cannot receive more then one photo as email attachment

I cannot receive more then one photo as an attachment in email. It does not matter how the email is sent or format. I had posted the issue in another thread and the problem was confirmed but I thought a separate thread may get a solution.
Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.3.1.2267), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Cannot receive more then one photo as email attachment

Hello,

That's interesting...I know 100% (I ran tests) that I can receive emails with multiple emails attached, and they come through just fine. But, there was one failure...if I sent the test (with the attachments) to one of my email addresses which has an auto-forward to my Gmail, then the result was that I could not use the attached photos on my Z10. But, if I sent the exact same test email (with attachments) directly to my Gmail, then the attachments were perfectly usable on my Z10. So, something about that host that contains the auto-forward is a problem in my circumstance. Perhaps, through testing, you can determine if there is some commonality you can discover for your circumstances.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Regular Contributor

I do not have auto forward and the attachments causing the issue are photos. I am also not the only one suffering the problem. I would be really grateful if you and others could try and send email with multiple photo attachments and see if you can open the all in the Z10.

Please report on whether you are using a Mac or PC. I sent emails from various email accounts using a Mac an PC but had problems with opening more then the first photo. I sent the same emails to my wife's Iphone and all the photos were received and viewable.
Regular Contributor

I am really sorry about this but I have mislead you all about the issue. The problem is not receipt of the email but the forward from the Z10. I received ok but when I forwarded to PC Mac and my wife's Iphone only the first photo could be seen.

Really sorry for the confusion on my part.
Hall of Famer II

OK...thanks for clarifying the situation...it is yes quite different than what you originally reported...but, you are going to need to be even more clear if you want anyone to conduct a similar test:

Tigershark24 wrote:
I received ok but when I forwarded to PC Mac and my wife's Iphone only the first photo could be seen.

It is impossible, strictly speaking, to forward an email "to PC Mac"...for one thing, those are two different computer platforms. For another thing, no computer, strictly speaking, has an email address to which the forward can happen. If you want help testing, please detail:

1. The exact email service (e.g., GMail, Yahoo, etc.) through which the initial email (with attachments) is received on the Z10
  2. The exact email service to which the forwarding is done on the Z10
  3. The exact email client (e.g., Outlook, WebMail, MacMail, etc.) that is used on each computer platform to receive the forwarded email

Only by knowing that information can someone hope to provide you with a proper comparable test. For example, in what I describe to you above about my prior forwarding situation, there is even more...while the received attachments could not be used on the Z10, they could be used just fine (exact same email item) in Outlook on PC. So, you see, the details (from you) will indeed greatly increase the chances of someone providing you with a useful comparative test.

Thanks and let us know!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the the detailed and helpful reply. I was not clear in providing vital information.

I received an email from a friend with a number of photos attached. The email was sent to my Gmail account. I could see the photos fine. I then forwarded the email to my wife's Gmail account. She could only see the first photo on her iphone and on accessing through outlook on PC and Mac.

I then forwarded to my wife's work email service from my Z10, which is operated by Namesco and the problem replicated when received on the three platforms through Outlook.

I then checked the webmail to confirm the problem was not related to the service provider and confirmed that the problem originates from the sender as the email received on the Gmail and Namesco server only had the first photo attached.

I also got my wife to send multiple photo attachments via iphone on her two mail accounts and it worked fine. So the problem is on sending or forwarding email we attached photos.

I hope that helps.

Good luck!
Hall of Famer II

OK...I just ran a test. I sent an email, using my Outlook 2007 PC client, to one of my GMail accounts...I sent it using Outlook.com as the outbound mail handler. I attached 3 photos, of sizes 120K, 46K, and 46K.

The email arrived to my Z10, and I could view all 3 photos with no problems.

I then forwarded, using my Z10, to another GMail account that I have (the outbound forwarding was handled by GMail). The email arrived to my Outlook 2007 PC client just fine, and all 3 photos were visible with no problems. As a further test, that same email also arrived to my Z10 (I have multiple GMail accounts integrated to my Z10), and the attachments likewise were fully visible.

I cannot replicate your results...so my only deduction can be that the outbound email host that your Z10 used for the forwarding has done some truncating of the attachments. Which email service handled the forwarding from your Z10?

Also...what are the file sizes of your attachments? Perhaps, if they are "large", there is some limit being reached?

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Regular Contributor

That's odd, I tried again and no problem! However, when I tried with the problem email, only the first photo appeared. I did note that the problem email had the photos in the body of the email as opposed to an attachment. I believe this may be the reason for the issue but I havn't a clue how to replicate.

Could the problem be with him the Z10 sends multiple images ie as attach me rather then in the body of email?

My service provider is Vodafone UK.
Hall of Famer II

Hi again...OK, so more new information from you...embed rather than attachment. OK...I'm rerunning my tests now, using the exact same photos as before, only now this time embedded into the email body rather than true attachments. Stand by...

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Hall of Famer II

Sorry...it took a little longer as GMail filtered it as SPAM, so I had to override that for it to deliver to my Z10.

Anyway...same result. All 3 images, as email embeds, arrive to the Z10 just fine from the original send. Then, the forwarded (using the Z10) item arrives to Outlook client as well as to Z10 just fine, with all 3 images visible in the body of the message.

So, I still cannot replicate your results...and still then consider my previously stated reasons (formed as questions related to the image file sizes) to be possibly causal.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates