Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Z10

Contributor
My Device: Z10 / Playbook

Re: Cannot update BB10 on my Z10

If I'm not wrong, those steps were indicated in the website. Anyway, IE (I normally use Chrome) offered me the option to run it or save. I did both with the same results.
Solutions: 6,065
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

[ Edited ]

You Run it. Don't save. But even that is not the same as I have seen. It all runs in the background.

I'd go find whatever you downloaded, delete it. reboot your PC and start all over again.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

I'll do as you say, but just for the record, here is a screen shot of what I see on the web address you gave me

update.JPG

[ Edited ]

OK. Starting with Step 1, do THIS with your Z10 connected.  NOT disconnected.

My directions above are the way it has worked for myself and others. I don't know why those onscreen directions are written that way.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

OK. New problem here.

I've run the update but it offers me to update to version 10.0.9.348, which is the version that my Z10 is running now

Capture3.JPG

What should I do now? I guess it should be 10.0.1.xxx

Did you remove your SIM card?

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

yes

It should work. But, you're not the first user I've seen using the device on a unreleased carrier having this very same issue.

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

But with this version I won't be able to use Whatsapp, a key application in Argentina. Should I run the update? I guess to only change will be that I'll have to setup my Z10 again

Forums Advisor III
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700

Re: Cannot update BB10 on my Z10 | Loading the Operating System in to the Z10 Using Link

[ Edited ]

Loading the OS in to a Z10 Using the Link Software

Try this:

Make sure you have the latest Link software installed. This is very important.

• Connect the Z10 to the computer with the micro USB cable. It is best to use the original Blackberry type Micro USB cable. This has to do with the cable characteristics.
  • Allow a few minutes for the computer to find the phone.  It will take longer to connect if the computer has to find and install the Windows drivers for the Z10.
  • After the Windows drivers for the Z10 are installed make sure the Z10 shows the charging lightning symbol on top of the battery symbol. If not, disconnect for about 15 seconds and re-connect the Z10. This is to re-set the USB controller drivers.
  • Launch the Link software.
  • Wait for the Link program to find the Z10.  When the Z10 tile shows, you can click on the arrow on the Z10 tile at the bottom to verify the phone is properly found. You should see the Backup and Restore prompts.
  • Backup the phone if it has not been backed up. This process takes a while to complete.
  • Click on the Setup (gear symbol) on the upper right in the Link program.
  • Click on the tile showing the computer name at the far lower left in the Link program.
  • You should now see the prompt "Reload" under Reload Device Software. This should force a download and re-install of the Z10 latest version of the Operating System.
  • Follow the prompts. The process is long. During the process at times you will be asked to click on some Next prompts, and there should eventually be an Agree prompt to click on.
  • After the OS is re-loaded,  and the phone boots up, you will be prompted to go through all the setups as if the phone was new out of the box.  You will have to go through all the prompts before reaching the the first Z10 panel. 
  • Don't forget to enter your Blackberry ID account information.
  • After the phone gets going you can restore the backup for it.

I can tell you this process is a slow one. The OS is a very large file. It takes some time for it to download and transfer through the USB cable to the phone.

How to Fix the USB Ports From Going To Sleep During the OS Re-Load

I would make sure the USB ports will not go to sleep during the process. When there is a long process going on that is strongly unidirectional as this process is, the USB ports could go to sleep. If your computer is a desktop it is best to leave these ports in the state where they will not go to sleep. If they go to sleep the process will have to be re-started. If they go to sleep at a critical time, or if the phone cable is pulled out, the phone can become bricked. When the process starts there is a warning about this.

On a laptop, it is okay to leave the USB ports in the non sleep mode as long as you remember to unplug all the USB devices while the computer is sleeping if it is running on battery. Depending on the type of device connected the battery could run down faster.

There is a possibility the USB ports with many types of computers will time out and go to sleep. The fix is to access the properties of each of the USB Root Hubs, and modify the Power Management for the USB Root Hubs. This is found in the Device Manager under Universal Serial Buss Controllers.

• In the Device Manager expand the Universal Serial Buss Controllers.
  • Open each USB Root Hub one at a time. There may be two or more of them. You must do all of them.
  • In each one select the Power Management tab.
  • Remove the check mark, "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".
  • Click on OK  of each to work the way out of the USB Root Hub properties.
  • Close the Device Manager window.

Now you can proceed with the process as listed above. The only thing I normally know of that can stop the OS from loading in to the phone is if it is unlocked and it is being on a different network than it was intended. This has to do with the PIN number and IMEI number group from what I have been told. The OS version you will be getting will be for the particular carrier group.

Jerry G.